Science Diet Advanced Protection Adult?

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What do you think of Science Diet Advanced Protection Adult? I'm getting mixed messages. The lady at the humane society that helped me with the adoption of our new cat said to have meat (not a meat meal like chicken meal) listed as the first ingredient and not to get Chicken Soup for the Soul since they've been hearing about problems with urinary tract infections with that one. My vet said many foods have seemed to be linked to urinary tract problems and the one food that she doesn't see any of these problems with is Science Diet Advanced Protection Adult and told me that's what she feeds her cats. I want to start switching Frankie off the crummy food that the humane society had him on and I looked up the ingredients of the Science Diet one and here's the first few ingredients:

Brewers Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil,

This doesn't sound like anything the lady at the humane society was recommending so I'm not sure what to think. I know you guys are experienced with this so I'm hoping you can tell me what's best. I'd like to run out at lunch today so I hope I can get suggestions quickly. I appreciate your help.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grain as the first ingredient, a bad quality grain at that, bad.
Chicken by-product meal, not fond of that either, but at least it's a named source istead of just poultry.
Corn Gluten meal, a plant derived protein source.
Whole grain ground corn, corn really has no value to animals that cannot even digest it.
Animal Fat, which animal?

No, I would never buy this.

As for the comment of Chicken Soup causing UTI?
Well, any dry food, if that is the only source of food, can contribute to UTI and crystal formation. Better to feed all wet food, or at the very least 50/50 wet/dry.
I would still reccomend the Chicken Soup, or Nutro.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*shudders*

You're right, it's not good at all. The only meat is by-products which are not as high quality nutrition as "real" meat or meat meal.

Have you looked at Nutro's products? Those are pretty decent. Also, I haven't heard of urinary tract problems from Chicken Soup, just that one ingredient is a common allergen and can cause problems in a fair number of cats. I'll be picking up a bag of that this week (I feed the canned so I'm pretty sure they're not allergic to that ingredient). I've also seen a lot of recommendations for Royal Canin.

What pet stores are by you? There are much better brands than these such as Felidae, Innova, etc. that you could choose from depending on whether you can find them and if you can afford them.

Will you be feeding any canned food? It's much more healthy than dry, and it's not unusual to feed some canned and some dry every day. It's easier to find great canned food than dry food. For example, while Nutro's dry is okay their canned is much better and is comparatively cheap compared to lesser quality stuff like Fancy Feast.

Surf the other threads here, there's lots of opinions and recommendations!

myfirstragdoll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my cat Chicken Soup and so doesn't alot of Ragdoll breeders I know, and they've never had a problem.. SD would be the last food on my list I would feed, to many fillers.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
According to my home vet handbook that I bought, only 1% of cats get FUS. So although it is a real health problem, the majority of cats won't get it from eating dry food with a supplemental source of water. A bigger risk with feeding only dry food is weight gain and fat cats are more prone to health problems like diabetis than slim cats. To reduce the risk of FUS and obesity, supplement your cat's diet with a lot of wet food and feed small amounts of dry in comparison or feed all wet if your cats have no problem eating all of it. For dry, Innova, California Natural and Natural Balance are great premium foods and you would only have to feed small portions of Innova and Natural Balance because those foods are very rich in calories. Do not get weight control Natural Balance. The protein content is only 27% compared to the 34% in regular Natural Balance. California Natural has a good balance, 36% protein, 16% fat and only 393 calories per cup.

There is also Nutro Natural Choice. I just don't like that after 6 years and it says 1-6 years on the bag, you have to switch to a senior formula which is even higher in carbs (I can tell because it has less fat and somewhat less protein) Plus Nutro has less meat than the other foods I mentioned because they also use corn gluten as a source of protein but supposedly that corn gluten is used to acidify the urine, thus reducing the risk of FUS. It still doesn't substitute for wet food. And there's also the possiblity of urinary acidifiers contributing to another problem, oxalate stones. I've read that in one of my cat care books, I don't know if that has changed recently or not.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

According to my home vet handbook that I bought, only 1% of cats get FUS. So although it is a real health problem, the majority of cats won't get it from eating dry food with a supplemental source of water. A bigger risk with feeding only dry food is weight gain and fat cats are more prone to health problems like diabetis than slim cats. To reduce the risk of FUS and obesity, supplement your cat's diet with a lot of wet food and feed small amounts of dry in comparison or feed all wet if your cats have no problem eating all of it. For dry, Innova, California Natural and Natural Balance are great premium foods and you would only have to feed small portions of Innova and Natural Balance because those foods are very rich in calories. Do not get weight control Natural Balance. The protein content is only 27% compared to the 34% in regular Natural Balance. California Natural has a good balance, 36% protein, 16% fat and only 393 calories per cup.

There is also Nutro Natural Choice. I just don't like that after 6 years and it says 1-6 years on the bag, you have to switch to a senior formula which is even higher in carbs (I can tell because it has less fat and somewhat less protein) Plus Nutro has less meat than the other foods I mentioned because they also use corn gluten as a source of protein but supposedly that corn gluten is used to acidify the urine, thus reducing the risk of FUS. It still doesn't substitute for wet food. And there's also the possiblity of urinary acidifiers contributing to another problem, oxalate stones. I've read that in one of my cat care books, I don't know if that has changed recently or not.
May I ask the name of this>>>?? I have read several that place FUS at 10-15%, I would just like to read this
... There are reasons for senior food and for those who have kittys over 7-8 it needs to be thought all are( cept for one brand lower protein but not all are lower fat )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've been supplementing Frankie's dry food with "Wellness" adult canned food because the lady from the humane society said Wellness is a good one. He likes the Wellness canned. Any thoughts on that brand?

BTW, we used to give our last dog Innova.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Grain as the first ingredient, a bad quality grain at that, bad.
Chicken by-product meal, not fond of that either, but at least it's a named source istead of just poultry.
Corn Gluten meal, a plant derived protein source.
Whole grain ground corn, corn really has no value to animals that cannot even digest it.
Animal Fat, which animal?

No, I would never buy this.

As for the comment of Chicken Soup causing UTI?
Well, any dry food, if that is the only source of food, can contribute to UTI and crystal formation. Better to feed all wet food, or at the very least 50/50 wet/dry.
I would still reccomend the Chicken Soup, or Nutro.
Chicken soup has cranberry which "should" help with uti health ....
But I totally agree in prone cats any dry food could be trouble .... I have only had one cat with uti ( one time) and she is 18 ... All my animals( dogs and cats) get wet and dry as well as fresh foods , I have never had UTI issues , obesity issues so maybe the mix is good
... I have gone to canned and raw for one cat and the dog eats just raw the other cat gets Nutro mixed with Raw instict( trial period) and wet / raw

Good dry for UTI
Nutro ( max is certified( tested and proven)
Chicken soup ( the ingrediants are there)
Natural balence ( I would excluded the venison one for this)
Royal canin ( yes corn but overall)
California Natural
Innova
Healthwise( this with Nutro has one ingrediant that does acidify)

Now wet UTI all will help but learn the parameters and check labels

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed Wellness wet and consider it to be an excellent food. Some people won't feed Wellness because it contains a small amount of garlic. There are solid arguments on both sides of that controversy and you just have to make your own decision about the use of garlic in food. Even those who won't use a food that contains garlic will say Wellness is a good food if it weren't for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to wait until tomorrow to buy anything. I have to do it soon so I have enough of the food he's on now to mix in and do the switch but I think I want to keep getting your input before making a final decision. This is helpful.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

May I ask the name of this>>>?? I have read several that place FUS at 10-15%, I would just like to read this
... There are reasons for senior food and for those who have kittys over 7-8 it needs to be thought all are( cept for one brand lower protein but not all are lower fat )
As soon as I get home from work I'll take a look at the book and let you know. This book is being sold at Petco as well as bookstores. I get off work at 6 pm PST and will be home around 7 pm

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sharky, the book is called Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook and the authors are Delbert G. Carlson DVM and James M. Giffin M.D. with special contributions by Lisa D. Carlson DVM.

This book is widely sold and I even saw it at Petco. But I was dissappointed after I bought it because I'm finding that some of the information in this book is not up to date. It's written by vets who highly reccommend Hill's pet foods, reccommend dry food over canned, a dry high fiber diet instead of a canned diet for diabetis and mentions the same old typical advice about dry food being better for the teeth. I bought the wrong book, obviously but there are too many books like this. Well at least I can use it for reference for other stuff that is vet related.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Moggiegirl.. I have brosed that one .... but next time I will read the UTI chapter