Burned Up Dyson Vacumn

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought I would give all of you that may not know like I didn't that the Arm and Hammer carpet deodorizer for pets can burn up a vacumn cleaner. It ruined my three year old Dyson vacumn. When I bought it they still had a two year warranty rather than the five they have now so they weren't just trying to get out of honoring a warranty. I went to a shop that sells commercial and residential vacumns to buy a new vacumn and she gave me a cannister of stuff called Nilofresh that is primarily used by commercial cleaners to try. It has a completely different texture like small granules. I have a lower paying job now so I got a Panasonic instead of another Dyson but it did a good job. I will never again use the Arm and Hammer deodorizer.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. Well this is an AWESOME statement.
As I used that Arm & Hammer pet stuff, and my brand new awesome vacuume cleaner just decided to start smoking and the belt flew off.
I got a new belt..Everything was fine..Untill the next time I used the carpet stuff...Same thing happened.
I gave up on vacuuming for a while after that.

Problem SOLVED thanks to you.
I now use the foam stuff though...It's not as common in stores as the powder though. But it's AWESOME! And it hasnt burnt up my vacuume either.
I bought that foam stuff because I wanted to try it..And havent switched back. And never will now...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was told it is the real fine powdery texture. It coats everything inside and then builds up. The stuff she gave me to try has a granular texture so it won't do that.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip-I used that stuff a few times.
BTW the place I bought my Eureka Sanitaire yrs ago said to change the belt once/yr!! (oops better check mine!!)
What is the Nilofresh supposed to do???

butterflydream

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I recall it is highly unrecommended that you use any of the dry carpet refreshers for the bagless vacuums. The dust not only clogs the 'hepa' filter but it also clogs up the 'wind' system that the vacuum uses to trap it in the bucket vs. the bag vacuums.

What I use when I would vacuum my carpet and wanted it to be 'refreshed' or de-pet smelled is either spray on Febreeze or that carpet deoderizor that foams and goes into the carpet instead of the powder stuff.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Arm & Hammer litter, but I ALWAYS sweep it up before using the vacuum, and I've been using it for over a year now. My vacuum still works fine, given that it is over 10 years old.

It must have more to do with bagless vacs than with cannister. I'm not switching litter - I like it and the cats like it, so when I buy a new vac, I'll keep in mind not to buy a bagless.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I use Arm & Hammer litter, but I ALWAYS sweep it up before using the vacuum, and I've been using it for over a year now. My vacuum still works fine, given that it is over 10 years old.

It must have more to do with bagless vacs than with cannister. I'm not switching litter - I like it and the cats like it, so when I buy a new vac, I'll keep in mind not to buy a bagless.
I don't believe they were talking about the Arm & Hammer litter. My understanding was they were talking about the carpet freshening powder.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I don't believe they were talking about the Arm & Hammer litter. My understanding was they were talking about the carpet freshening powder.
WHOOPS! My bad!

Uhm...nevermind...

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you like your Dyson though???

I've been beggin for a purple one for Christmas, and it's like $500 bucks or less.. So I'm hoping it's worth the investment.

I don't use carpet freshners,, but I was wanting to buy some.. I'll buy the foam stuff or Febreeze now that I know this.. I have a cheapy Dirt Devil Upright Bagless, and it lost suction about two months after I bought it.. So I hate it!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tip!!

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely love my Dyson Animal... it does a fantastic job. My husband got it for me for Christmas last year.

butterflydream

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Dyson's are wonderful, my ILs have one....and for a bagless it's the best...

I dare say it's better than those "Kirby's" they sell door to door (which still use a bag).

Like I said, it's not the vaccuum...it's the design of all the bagless (they really should label the deoderizers to let the consumer know this).

But the powder, it clogs the filter and the suction....which I know...I stated that above.

And I don't know, I'd say most of us use bagless these days cause it's just easier than a bag vaccuum (I can't even imagine cause I've never used anything but a bagless vacuum).

But especially if you are using a Dyson....don't use powder deoderizer....always febreeze or that foamy stuff (which actually refreshes the whole room at the same time...double job).

I killed a vaccuum using the powder stuff...and after taking it apart is how we discovered what happened.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I loved my Dyson. The only reason I didn't buy another one was a drop in my income. The Panasonic was half the price of the Dyson.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

I loved my Dyson. The only reason I didn't buy another one was a drop in my income. The Panasonic was half the price of the Dyson.
I have a Panasonic upright as well and I find it has excellent power. Mind you I only have one 8x6 rug and the rest of my house is hardwood which I use the central vac on. (Bijou likes to be vacuumed by the central vac brush.)

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks for this. I inherited my dyson from my nan and I'd hate it if I broke it.

I was just thinking about getting something to freshen up the carpet too, lucky I didn't.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humm, that's good to know...I will definitely run that bit of info by my mom- she owns her own residential cleaning company and is constantly dealing with vaccumes and things of that nature. She just bought a new vaccume this week- it's pretty!!!
So I definitely wouldn't want her work supplies to be damaged as a result of those powders. She doesn't use them at work, but we have used them at home before- so I will ask her about it. Thanks for the info!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my dyson too! I have the purple pet one and it's the only thing I can find that can take on black Newfoundland fur on a beige carpet and win!

It's got my vote!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not only the bagless vacs that have a problem with the powder deoderizer. I had an old fashioned Hoover with a bag and the motor burned out. The repairman told me it was from using the powder deoderizer. It probably clogs the suction system the same way it does in the bagless. Now I have a bagless but haven't used the powder in several years. I haven't tried the foam fresheners because I was concerned about them having a similar clogging problem. If others are using them maybe I'll try it or try Febreeze.