Christmas Presents for Kids

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It may be a litlle early, but I have started on my Christmas list for my two girls and I am completely stumped. I was in Wal-Mart the other day and noticed that they already are stocking their Christmas section in the indoor garden center, so I guess I'm not thinking too far ahead!

Last year we got each of them a "big" present and a few smaller stocking stuffer types. Annabelle got a kitchen and Madeleine got the BabyGymtastic play wall. Well, surprise, surprise Annabelle hardly uses her kitchen and the kittens got more use out of the playwall than my kids did.

So this year I am going to try a different approach. I'm thinking about 5 mid-range toys each plus stocking stuffers. So far for Annabelle I plan on the Lucky Ducks game and a Doodle Doug. I have no clue as to what to get Madeleine because she just plays with Annabelle's hand-me-downs.

Does anyone have any ideas for Chirstmas presents that their kids have really gotten alot of use out of? We have two rooms full of toys that rarely get used.

P.S. If any of you out there have toddlers, I highly recommend the Turbo Tigger. Annabelle got one for her birthday and plays with it everyday!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really have any recommendations for you. But I start my Christmas shopping almost the day after Christmas. Those are the best sales, and I get extra cash at the holidays, so I start immediately and store stuff in my basement. Last year I got these designer perfume sets for like 70% off. I got each of my sisters a gift set from Jennifer Lopez's Still perfume lotion etc for like $16 each. Even last weekend with the Labor Day sales, I got a bunch of clothes in the next size up to put away for Christmas for our daughter. I have so much family to buy for, I have to start early or I'd never be done!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought of something, not sure if you want a fish, but my neice wanted a SpongeBob aquarium last year. They are pretty small, and require very little maintenance. And I got her a betta fish, they produce less waste than a goldfish....also, the tank is not big enough for 2 fish. But the girls can keep it in their room, and be responsible for feeding it daily. That's a good lesson to teach, and you only have to clean out the tank every 3-4 weeks, so it's not too tough on mom either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

I just thought of something, not sure if you want a fish, but my neice wanted a SpongeBob aquarium last year. They are pretty small, and require very little maintenance. And I got her a betta fish, they produce less waste than a goldfish....also, the tank is not big enough for 2 fish. But the girls can keep it in their room, and be responsible for feeding it daily. That's a good lesson to teach, and you only have to clean out the tank every 3-4 weeks, so it's not too tough on mom either.
That is an excellent idea! Thanks.

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

How old are your girls?
Annabelle just turned 3 and Madeleine is 18 months old.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 4yr old Granddaughter loves dressing up she spends a lot of time being a princess. she also likes drawing and colouring. I don't know if you have see the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/ site they do lots of things for young children, she like the pictures you print off for colouring in.

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whenever my Mom and I shop for my younger cousins (ages 6, 8, and 9 - all girls), we usually get them some artsy stuff, like jewelry-making kits, or books (because everyone should read more!), or something for physical activity (wiffleball set, pogo stick, etc). I think all the toys and video games out there nowadays are kinda ridiculous!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
-Doodle Monsters ( I got my nephew one for christmas and he LOVES it!!!)
-Baby Einstein has some nice educational fun toys that might be good for your 18 mo. old
-Clothes that they can play dress up with (wands, purses, shoes, feather boas...I worked at a daycare with 2yr olds and that was by far their fav. time of day!)
-Get some tickets for a day at the zoo (usually children are free or discounted on certain days and times) and put them in their stockings or attach them around the neck to a little stuffed tiger or elephant.
-This is a little "design your own dishes" thing- it would be fun to do at home, all the products are non-toxic too. Or, you could take them to a pottery studio and help them paint a piece or pottery....how cool would that be to have that to show them years down the road!http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00000JGR3
-Etch a Sketch- i think those are a classic!http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0009HVEHM
-A cute little lamp for their room and maybe some soft pilows(maybe a tiny chandalier one (i think target has them under $20)
-Colors, Coloring books..things like that....

Oh yeah- Don't for get the Mr. Potato Head!!!!

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about the cabbage patch kids? Oh, FurReal friends are really cute! ToysRUS sells them ( http://www.toysrus.com ) and you get an "adoption" certificate. OK OK, so I wanted on before, and got it, but hey they are CUTE.
The fish idea is a good one, too.

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sunshine'sKid

How about the cabbage patch kids? Oh, FurReal friends are really cute! ToysRUS sells them ( http://www.toysrus.com ) and you get an "adoption" certificate. OK OK, so I wanted on before, and got it, but hey they are CUTE.
The fish idea is a good one, too.
Both of them got Cabbage Patch preemies for Chirstmas last year and of course they never play with them

BTW, I am not thinking too early...we got the Sear's Wishbook in the mail today! I remember being a kid and looking at it over and over again. I sat down with Annabelle and we went through it and she said "I can't wait to try that" for at least one item on every page.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you aren't too keen on live fish, they sell fish aquariums look a-likes.They have plastic fish in them and you just add water to it.It has some kind of bubbler in it to make the plastic fish appear to swim.
They also sell REALLY cute lamps at Wal-Mart that look sort of like a lighthouse........that shape.They are Sponge Bob,Finding Nemo, and a few others.Not really expensive either....about $20
Disney DVDs are a BIG hit for my kids.Plus, they are collecter items.
Playdoh and tools.
Coloring books and crayons
When my youngest son was a year old, we got him a Power Wheels 4-wheeler.........he LOVED it sooooooo much!!!

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

If you aren't too keen on live fish, they sell fish aquariums look a-likes.They have plastic fish in them and you just add water to it.It has some kind of bubbler in it to make the plastic fish appear to swim.
They also sell REALLY cute lamps at Wal-Mart that look sort of like a lighthouse........that shape.They are Sponge Bob,Finding Nemo, and a few others.Not really expensive either....about $20
Disney DVDs are a BIG hit for my kids.Plus, they are collecter items.
Playdoh and tools.
Coloring books and crayons
When my youngest son was a year old, we got him a Power Wheels 4-wheeler.........he LOVED it sooooooo much!!!
I actually love the idea of the Spongebob aquarium with a betta in it--that is a definite present!

As far as DVDs and videos, my MIL buys them every new kids movie to come out on DVD. I think last count was well over 50!

The lamps are a great idea and I am in the process of decorating their rooms and they each need a lamp.

Somebody mentioned the Doodle Monsters earlier. I saw them in the Wishbook and my daughter went gaga. So those are another definite. We had the AquaDoodle when Annabelle was 1 and she just sucked all the water out of the pens and the mat got really dirty and couldn't be washed, so the Doodle Monster thing sounds much more practical + she's older now.

We're also thinking about a race car track or train track. Both girl love to play with the Little People garage at granny's house that has a track on it.

We also plan on getting the kids keyboards that interact with the PC, but only have a few simple buttons. I think it is so important for kids to become computer savvy early these days.

I am so excitied about Christmas, I wish it was tomorrow. It will be our first Christmas in our new house and I have great ideas for decorations. I guess I should really be focusing on Halloween, though!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever heard of Leap Frog before? Its an educational book type thing that you can buy different kinds of books/stories/school type books to put into it, and it reads them to you, and your child can read along. My brother got one a few years back - we've seen then handed it down to my cousins - but they have come out with SO many different things to add to it.

I think it would be great for both of your girls - they have things from ages 0-36 months, all the way up to 18 years old!

http://www.leapfrog.com/do/findpage;...2?pageKey=home

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Have you ever heard of Leap Frog before? Its an educational book type thing that you can buy different kinds of books/stories/school type books to put into it, and it reads them to you, and your child can read along. My brother got one a few years back - we've seen then handed it down to my cousins - but they have come out with SO many different things to add to it.

I think it would be great for both of your girls - they have things from ages 0-36 months, all the way up to 18 years old!

http://www.leapfrog.com/do/findpage;...2?pageKey=home
We have the My First LeapPad and the LeapFrog Phonics Writing Desk. Annabelle really is getting into the writing desk now, but not so much for the My First LeapPad. I think we'll wait on the real Leap Pad until she's 4. But you're right they are great learning toys. She recognizes almost all of her letters and I give alot of credit to the Phonics writing desk for that!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnnasMom

We have the My First LeapPad and the LeapFrog Phonics Writing Desk. Annabelle really is getting into the writing desk now, but not so much for the My First LeapPad. I think we'll wait on the real Leap Pad until she's 4. But you're right they are great learning toys. She recognizes almost all of her letters and I give alot of credit to the Phonics writing desk for that!
Awww, shucks, and I thought I came up with a great idea!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe that I didn't mention this earlier.......BARBIES!!!!
All little girls love them.
As for the Doodle Monsters,they now have doodle Dinos out and Doodle Girlies.I found that with my 6 year old and 8 year old,they played with them twice and that was it.
here are some cute lamps that I found at wal-mart.com(they aren't the ones that I was talking about though)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5141287
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5141283
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5155878

Bratz dolls are really good too.
I thought this was cute.She is almost the same name as your oldest girl
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3989173

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I thought this was cute.She is almost the same name as your oldest girl
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3989173
Annabelle got the Baby Annabell doll for her first Chirstmas (she was 4 months old) and she's just now started playing with her. Papa couldn't resist a doll with virtually the same name.

She has Barbies at my MIL's (in case you can't tell from the earlier post, Granny spoils them quite a bit
), but I'm afraid to get some for here, because Madeleine still puts things in her mouth (goodbye Barbie shoes!
)

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My granddaughters are 3 1/2 and they love books. I bought some animal books, on sale at KMart, last week. Since they are twins, I usually buy something, for them to share as well as individual presents. So far, I have gotten them a "Dora the Explorer" checkers set and am eyeballing the "Dora" Chutes & Ladders game.

They are each getting toy guitars, this year. These will complement the electronic drum machine and piano, from past years. (Its OK - my son plays in a band). Baby Einstain DVDs are popular, with the girls, too and they like cars and trucks.

Mia will only be about 2 months old, by Christmas and she's getting clothes and a couple of stuffed animals.