Is it because they are orphans?

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think our two kittens are probably around 6 weeks old, they were orphaned at about 4 weeks (a guess).

Neither of them seems very adament about grooming and they both have dirty little butts. I have seen each of them clean themselves a tiny bit but not like a normal cat does. I see them clean each other more- but still not as often as any other cat. I've also seen Skunk lick Cricket's butt to clean it (I assume/hope!) but never his own.

Are they not grooming as much because they lost their momma so young and she didn't get to teach them? Or is this a normal kitten thing?

I've let Skunk clean Crickets behind even though it absolutely grosses me out
She's very noisy about it but I figure it's the same thing their mom would do and it's better than nothing!

loraandjeff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At 6 weeks old, they are too young yet to do their own grooming. Normally at this age it is still done by momma and/or siblings. As they get older, their grooming habits, as this is instinctual, will become more apparent. The fact that they are even minimally grooming each other is encouraging. You likely won't notice a marked increase in their grooming until they are 2-3 months old...or even older, maybe 4 months...since young kittens shed very very little.

So for now, I wouldn't worry about it. Even kittens bottle-raised kittens without momma still exhibit clean grooming habits once they have passed infanthood.

Lora

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's great to hear!!

Should I be cleaning them in any way? Giving them a bath or wiping them down?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With my bottle babies, I would get a barely damp washcloth, with a good knap to it, and give them the once over, especially their faces and hinies. Then, I would give them a good, gentle rubbing with a dry towel, and tuck them in my shirt (usually my bathrobe
-beware-I had one who decided he REALLY liked it there- he would climb my bathrobe while I was making coffee so I would tuck him in, and he pretty much stayed there all morning, every morning!
) until they were good and warm and dry. When they were bigger, they would finish the bath themselves and curl up together to get warm and take a nap after their bath

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

With my bottle babies, I would get a barely damp washcloth, with a good knap to it, and give them the once over, especially their faces and hinies. Then, I would give them a good, gentle rubbing with a dry towel, and tuck them in my shirt (usually my bathrobe
-beware-I had one who decided he REALLY liked it there- he would climb my bathrobe while I was making coffee so I would tuck him in, and he pretty much stayed there all morning, every morning!
) until they were good and warm and dry. When they were bigger, they would finish the bath themselves and curl up together to get warm and take a nap after their bath
I couldn't have said it any better! Catsallover, it's eerie, your advice looks so much like mine, I could almost believe I wrote it
And my first JC used to hang out in my bathrobe, too---

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only noticed mine start to really groom himself thoroughly within the last two or three weeks, and he's now 4 months old. Before then it was quite half-hearted and a bit inept, whereas now he gives himself a really good clean. He was also 3 months before he could cover his doings in the litter box properly, we had a few incidents before that where he would try and then leave little mucky paw prints on things as he walked away. Thankfully he has grown out of that too!

andelawhi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen the same as Epona. My cats are Five months old and really only started giving themselves thourogh baths this past month. Before that I'd be running after them with a baby wipe every time they had a loose stool. Though they're not perfect about it now, they're TONS better. I wouldn't expect too much cleaning from your six week old baby for awhile
I suggest doing like someone else suggested and going over them with a damp wash cloth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

I will start giving them little wipe downs, especially after they go to the bathroom. Although I think I will get baby wipes for that part and spare my washcloth

This will be great for bonding I hope!!!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

I couldn't have said it any better! Catsallover, it's eerie, your advice looks so much like mine, I could almost believe I wrote it
And my first JC used to hang out in my bathrobe, too---
Well, must be great minds thinking alike and all that!

Wasn't a cream colored cat, was he?
I still miss Dewey doing that- but I did get to keep him over a month longer than his brothers, as he was for a little girl for Christmas (they had been planning a long time!
), and his new family called a left me a message to tell me how well he was doing- a cat that wants to constantly be carried- he was perfect for an little girl! Her mom said his feet never hit the floor after her daughter got home from school!
I wish I had one now that was that sweet and cuddly!

Oh, and on the original subject
,It's just my preference, but I used a wash cloth because the texture was more like a momma cat's tongue, and I figured that would clean their coats a little deeper- but for their bottoms, a wipe would be just fine, and probably easier on their skin if it's tender

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

Thanks everyone!

I will start giving them little wipe downs, especially after they go to the bathroom. Although I think I will get baby wipes for that part and spare my washcloth

This will be great for bonding I hope!!!
Oh, I forgot- it probably will! Just like sometimes kittens will pile on their momma's head, wanting their bath first, and other days, the same kitten is being drug back time after time to finish his bath, it is really funny to watch their little moods and personalities come out when you bathe them!