HELP - cat is possessed

kevin4891

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got an almost 1-year old cat from some family members, and thought it'd be cute to have her around...

Well, this cat is driving me insane! I have had her for less than a week already and can't stand her (unless she's sleeping
).

First off, often at night she goes into some kind of hunting mode. She acts as if she sees something in the room and is trying to find it. She'll do several short sprint bursts from one place to another. But it's really loud, and keeps me up at night. And it scares other people (including me) too.

Second, I've got some expensive computer equipment and would like to keep her away from it. How do I do that? Spray bottle? The same goes for my bed. I'd like for her to use a mat or something, instead of laying on my bed because she sheds and leaves behind little dirt balls or something. Kind of gross, and I'm a perfectionist, so it really gets to me.

Overall, this thing just isn't fun right now. But since it's a familiy pet, I can't just give her up (although I'm sure they would understand). Any advice? Thanks.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kevin4891

I just got an almost 1-year old cat from some family members, and thought it'd be cute to have her around...

Well, this cat is driving me insane! I have had her for less than a week already and can't stand her (unless she's sleeping
).

First off, often at night she goes into some kind of hunting mode. She acts as if she sees something in the room and is trying to find it. She'll do several short sprint bursts from one place to another. But it's really loud, and keeps me up at night. And it scares other people (including me) too.

Second, I've got some expensive computer equipment and would like to keep her away from it. How do I do that? Spray bottle? The same goes for my bed. I'd like for her to use a mat or something, instead of laying on my bed because she sheds and leaves behind little dirt balls or something. Kind of gross, and I'm a perfectionist, so it really gets to me.

Overall, this thing just isn't fun right now. But since it's a familiy pet, I can't just give her up (although I'm sure they would understand). Any advice? Thanks.
Kevin....cats are nocturnal animals..and yes, they will tend to be active at night. Best thing you can do for her is to spend some time with her when you get home. Get a feather toy and spend about a 1/2 hour with her in vigorous play before you go to bed. Also, you can feed her a can of moist food before bedtime and that "may" cause her to sleep longer.

As far as not getting on your bed to sleep.....I let my cats sleep with me and yes, they shed....that's normal for cats. If you want her to sleep somewhere else....you would probably be best off to shut her out of your bedroom. You should also be brushing her fairly often because cats do shed their fur on a regular basis.

Can you keep her out of the room where you have your computer equipment?? That would probably be ideal. I don't like using squirt bottles to deter cats from getting on items....better to use either double stick tape or bubblewrap because they don't like the feel of either on their feet.

Right...but I'm sure it isn't fun for her either if you have such negative feelings towards her. Is there another family member who would be willing to take her?

Katie

Katie

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your cat is just being cat. Amazing that she has adapted so well in your home in just a few days. It is easier to make your apartment cat-safe then change the cat's behavior. She will sleep more if you play intense with her before you want her to be calm. She will need you to show her affection and feel closeness so if yo don't want that in your bed you need to spend more time with her before bedtime. Normally they become a little bit calmer when they get closer to two years but not always. Maybe someone else in your family would appriciate her more than you?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh heck, well first of all welcome to TCS
Its great here and you´ll get lots of advice, hints and tips about your problem.
DONT GIVE UP
You dont say if you are new to be a cat-owner ? so if thats the case have a little look around the site and there loads of advice for new owners.
Cats are natural night hunters, so its only normal that she will want to have a hunt at bedtime. If you spend some time with her, with some cat-toys, just before bed-time this should entertain her and tire
her out for when you want to go to bed.
About the computer, if this is really worrying you, then if poss, close the door where the computer is. If she come when you are there, well that cos she likes being with you
, make a place for her to settle down, use one of your old t-shirts for her to lay on. You may also have to have a little tidy up, cats do like wires and bits and pieces in computer areas !
And your bed, find an old towel or small blanket that you can easily washed!
It just a matter of changing a few small things here and there, but its all worth it and you´ll get loads of love and affection in return

So be patience and have fun !!

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can't keep her out of the room with your computer equipment, try building an unscaleable fence around it. My kittens' "safe room," the room with their litter boxes, food, and where they were kept for the first week, is the computer room. I attached wire shelving grids to my computer desk to block off the hard drive and the big mess of wires.

If you're having trouble with her behavior, try looking at it from her point of view. She's a nocturnal hunting animal and so she will run and play at night. Like TNR1 said, try playing with her before you go to bed and feed her a big meal. Also, make sure she has toys to play with throughout the day to keep her active and entertained. It's healthy for her to run and play and it should be encouraged. Fat sloths are not healthy cats.

If you don't want cat fur on your bed, don't let her in your bedroom. My kittens are rarely allowed in my bedroom because my hubby works days and I work nights. That's 16 hours when I don't want them trapped away from their litter boxes and food, so it's easiest to just keep the door closed all day.

It's pretty obvious that you're new to cats. Why not do a little research and read up on cat behavior? It's a lot less frustrating when you understand why they do what they do, and that your cat is 100% normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kevin4891

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies guys.

The problem with the computer stuff is it's in my bedroom (live in an apartment). I just don't want her walking around on the desk when I'm gone. So far she does it less and less when I'm here, I think she's getting the idea that once she climbs up, I bring her down

Another thing.. she has dandruff. Any advice on getting rid of that? I feed her dry food, maybe I should feed her canned stuff that has more fat?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to have to be the one to mention it...but dirt balls? What sort of dirt balls? Very very tiny? I have a theory of what it may be but I would like to hear more about them first

I would get a Zoom Groom for her to grrom her and pick up all the dead fur that would otherwise be in your home. It will help and Zoom Grooms are amazing. But it will be hard to not let her sleep with you. I couldn't imagine my cats not sleeping with me and I have 7 of them! That is one of the best parts of owning a cat, when they curl up next to you on the bed and knead their paws on you as a sign of affection and comfort.

Your slightly negative attitude can be sensed by her and it will do nothing but make her nervous. You are describing typical cat behavior. Instinct. they play and hunt at night. Does she have a lot of toys, and a cat tree to climb on? If not then she is bored.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the replies guys.

Another thing.. she has dandruff. Any advice on getting rid of that? I feed her dry food, maybe I should feed her canned stuff that has more fat?
What brand of food are you feeding her? If it's typical grocery store stuff, then you'll definately need to improve her diet. You're right in that a lot of dandruff problems can be caused by a poor diet. Check out some of the threads in the Health & Nutrition forum for advice on good quality foods. And generally canned is better for cats than dry food.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naturestee

What brand of food are you feeding her? If it's typical grocery store stuff, then you'll definately need to improve her diet. You're right in that a lot of dandruff problems can be caused by a poor diet. Check out some of the threads in the Health & Nutrition forum for advice on good quality foods. And generally canned is better for cats than dry food.
Yes....dandruff is usually caused by diet...so you may want to try to find her a higher quality cat food.

The problem with the computer stuff is it's in my bedroom (live in an apartment). I just don't want her walking around on the desk when I'm gone.
Then you should close off your bedroom during the time you are gone. I close my bedroom door during the day...my cats stay in the living room.

Katie

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes I was going to mention that too. If you are just picking up your generic brand of grocery store cat chow you really need to stop. That would be like you eating mcdonalds every day, every meal for the rest of your life. It will make her fat, unhealthy, diabetic possibly, and in need of vet care way more often then not. Go to your local Pet Smart, PetCo, Pet Supplies, or another large pet store near you. Look for brands like Nutro, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul, Solid Gold, Wellness, Authority, Innova, Premium Edge, those are the first few that come to mind.

Canned food doesn't have more fat, dry food is more fattening. More carbs in dry. Canned food is way healthier then dry but it all depends of the brand.

Can you get a keyboard cover to put on the keyboard so she doesn't walk on it? Also you can hiss at her to make her stop things you don't want her doing. The bed will be really tricky though...

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Kevin! Welcome to TCS!

Most everything I'd like to say has been at least mentioned. However...

Do you play with her? Honestly, you have a cat who is pretty much still an older kitten. She needs some playtime with you! Try one of the "fishing rod" type toys, a stick with a feathery toy attached by a string that you make fly around the room, and they chase after it like maniacs. Or some colorful plastic balls with bells in them. Also, the Turboscratcher is really cool, assuming you didn't go and do something silly like having her declawed.

Is she spayed yet? Sometimes female kitties get sort of nuts when they're in heat.

As for your computer, sometimes it's easier to make small adjustments in how you do things instead of trying to train your cat to change her behavior. Such as, get a cover for your computer and equipment. If things are turned off, what damage can she really do? Figure that out, and figure out things that you can do to prevent it.

If her being on your computer is really a big enough problem that you're considering rehoming her, then buy an alarm. Like this: http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...sText=scat&N=2

As for your bed, buy a lint roller, and run it over your bed when you see hair on it. They cost like, 3 bucks at the grocery, and are useful in general.

Has she been to a vet yet? It sounds like you have a few coat problems going on (and yes, as Jen said, please describe the dirtballs and dandruff a little more).

What dry food are you feeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kevin4891

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I hate to have to be the one to mention it...but dirt balls? What sort of dirt balls? Very very tiny? I have a theory of what it may be but I would like to hear more about them first
Some of them look like skin flakes, some look like boogers haha. I don't know, just gross things.

I would cuddle with her more, but the thought of dandruff rubbing against me isn't appealing. I will go to a pet store and buy some better food, and see how that works out.

Playing with her before I go to sleep is a good idea too.

She does seem to scratch more than what would seem normal... probably is some skin problem going on.

I just need to take her to the vet and get a general check up too.

Edit: above 2 users are from Ohio - so am I

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome! Where from in Ohio? If you are nearby I could help you out with where to go to get good food and such.

The theory I had of the "booger" type dirt balls....I hate to say it but I would run by the vet and pick up a dose of Advantage or Revolution. It COULD be fleas. If you live near me I can tell you where to go for some for cheap from a low cost clinic. Also, all cats have dander. Whether you see it or not, every living thing has flakes of skin that shed off of it. People, dogs, cats. It is unpleasent though when you can actually see it. So better food could help. That is a great start anyways. After that would can add a little oil to her food or something, but I would start on good food first. You sound like you are really intersted in working with her to get her better situated in your home.

Can I make a picture request? I would love to see what she looks like as would everyone I think!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that vid is great ...........she is a cutie
, you just gotta keep her, and well with all us lot here to help ................nuff said !!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your video was so cute!

Here's a good idea of how to keep your kitty away from some of the cords that are behind your computer. http://www.thekittystore.com/cc-00101.html

Also, as for the meowing at night have you thought about buying a cat tree, and some toys that will allow her to play by herself.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...02+113967+2032
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...02+113120+2035
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2002+113120

And some links for the kitty tree:

http://www.spoilmykitty.com/b6203.html
http://www.spoilmykitty.com/a4201.html

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here's one more of her chasing my laser pointer. The best part is at the very end:
http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=312x0kk
.................just love it ! well that should tire her out before bed-time !!..............and I must say I quite like your little giggle at then end too, aww

you are really liking being with kitty eh .....go on admit it

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you get her vet checked as soon as possible some of your problems will go away. They will treat her for fleas and other parasites and advise you on diet and skin care. All new kittens should be checked by a new owner.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have one of the best cats out there! One man called them black string cats or something like that. We had one we unfortunately lost at age 4 to a liver problem, but they're wonderful! So smart, so people oriented, really inventive, creative, whatever you call it, very good at going for leash walks because they really walk, don't just hang out sniffing the bushes. Give her all the time she needs to grow into herself and don't expect her to be a 'person', but appreciate her for who she is and work with that - you won't be sorry! Any time you don't want her, let me know :-)!