Movies you love to recommend!

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sick of tv. More specifically, tv that is on when I can watch. I don't like anything on anymore, and I miss all of the good tv because I work at night, and go to school during the day (I'll admit, I follow soaps
). Anyway, so when I want to just relax and watch something, nothing is on, and I never remember to record anything on the DVR. Part of it is that I have always read a lot, so usually I can just read whatever I have picked up from the library, or what my mom or sister has read and recommends, or even just something off of my shelf. But something is up with my eyes lately, and after school and work, my eyes are a little fuzzy and reading (as well as reading online...boo) is giving me nasty headaches. But tv has escaped headaches for now, so I'm finding myself watching more and more.

I don't mind subtitles, black and white, chick flicks, period pieces, long movies, etc. I am an unbiased movie viewer
Or, maybe an equal opportunity viewer, is more like it.

So...any recommendations?

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
anything directed by Paul Thomas Anderson is genius - particularly Boogie Nights (if you dont mind sexual content) and Magnolia.

THe Black Stallion is a kids movie that really isnt-kids can watch it, but its equally as entertaining to adults, and the cinematography is incredible. one of my favorite movies.

Mona Lisa Smile is a chick flick but not cloyingly so, and actually looks at both sides of the issue-it doesn't hit you over the head with it's point.

Notting Hill is a great romantic comedy-really lovely

Goodfellas is THE mobster movie - DeNiro, Paul Sorvino, and Joe Pesci, and Ray Liotta, are genius in it, as is Lorraine Bracco.

The Bear - its from the 80s (i think?) but its gorgeous too, very little dialogue, ify ou love animals you'll love it, it's really beautiful.

will post more in a bit

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a wonderful step back in time, with subtitles : try Marcel Pagnol's biographies "My Father's Glory" and "My Mother's Castle", and you can also enjoy "Jean de La Fleur" and the sequel "Manon de L'Source (or Manon of the Springs" based on Marcel Pagnol's novels. His father was a French schoolteacher - the movies are beautifully done.

For my 2 most recent faves "Second Hand Lions" and "Cinderella Man" are great. Cinderella Man is based on a true character and is less about boxing and more about a family's struggle to triumph over the Great Depression.

If you're a kid at heart, try "Mean Girls" - I think every high school has some. And "Garfield" and "Toy Story" are always fun

For romance that's not too sappy, I enjoy "Emma". and if you can find it, get "Marty", with Ernest Borgnine (he won an Oscar for it in 1956) - it's awesome, about a middle-aged bachelor with a domineering mother, who falls in love with a Plain-Jane, and catches flack from his family and friends for it on many different levels.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Great Race It's the only movie I ever recommend because in my mind, nothing beats it.

(erm... ok I think I recommended Clue once... but that's it really!
)

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you like westerns and comedies, I highly recommend Barbarosa. It has Willie Nelson and Gary Busey playing outlaws, and it is hysterical. Goinn' South is also a good western/comedy. I has Jack Nicholson.
Serenity was a good movie. The series is really good, too, and is out on dvd.
I saw the end of a movie called Bound for Glory. It is the biography of Woodie Guthrie. It had David Carradine. I saw the last 30 minutes, and it made me reaaly want to see the rest of it.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lil Abner a musical based on the comic strip. Love the name of the elected officials. Gotta love Billy Hayes as Mammy Yokum! (And some bodybuilders, too!
)

Mel Brooks Silent Movie. With Dom DeLuise and Marty Feldman. Only one word is spoken in the entire film, so lots of sight gags.

Seven Brides For Seven Borothers. (or any Howard Keel muscial. Yes, I love musicals...) The barn dance is the best part IMO.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just Like Heaven with Reese Witherspoon---love story
Nell with Jodie Foster-VERY moving story line
Ladder 49 with Joaquin Phoenix and John Travolta----sad ending,but good movie
An Unfinished Life with Robert Redford,Morgan Freeman,Jennifer Lopez and Josh Lucas----story of a woman who turns to her Father-inLaw for help---VERY GOOD movie!!!
Panic Room with Jodie Foster
Flight Plan with Jodie Foster------kind of a Mystery movie

Horror movies
The Hills Have Eyes
Underworld Evolution
Hide and Seek
Boo

Funny Movies
Are We There Yet

Can't think of anymore right now.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poseidon (if you didn't like Titanic, then I don't know if you would like poseidon, they are both about a ship that sinks), The Benchwarmers, Where The Heart Is, Thirteen, Coyote Ugly, White Oleander, Grandmas Boy (best movie I've seen in a long time), Harry Potter, Lord of The Rings, Losing Isaiah, Fried Green Tomatoes, Anything with Adam Sandler...I like a lot of movies.

I have my pvr (I'm assuming thats close to the same thing as a dvr) set up to record all the shows/movies I like in the evening because thats when everything I like is on, and then I just watch them when I'm home.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Falling Angels.

It's my favorite movie ever. The first time I saw it I actually watched it three times in two days. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365183/

V for Vendetta is one of my favorite recent movies, too. I have liked Natalie Portman ever since The Professional (also a great movie).

And if you have never seen the version of Great Expectations with Gwyneth Paltrow and Ethan Hawke, it changed my life. Do not expect it to have anything to do with the Dickins book though, as it doesn't really.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of my favorite movies are:

Amelie....goooorrrgeous french movie.

Anything made by either Wes Anderson or Tim Burton. Wes Anderson made Life Aquatic and The Royal Tennenbaums (both GREAT movies) and Tim Burton made Corpse Bride, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Big Fish (loooove that movie) and Edard Scissorhands.

If you want a more academic movie with lots of talk and little action (but INCREDIBLE animation)...get Waking Life. I LOVE that movie. Lots of good ideas about dreams, existentialism and the state of society.

If you want a really smart, beautiful, imaginitave chick flick, get Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Hilarious "high school" movies that I love even though I'm no longer in that specific age-group are Empire Records (about a group of kids trying to save a record store from being turned into a major chain), Saved! (basically, it makes fun of Evangelical Christians, so if you think this might offend you, it's probably not for you), But I'm a Cheerleader (this is hilarious comedy about a closeted lesbian who checks herself into a center that promises to "cure her"...again, if you're offended by the idea of gay people, this is another one to skip), Mean Girls (Tina Fey made this movie, and is in it...need I say more?) and of course, Napoleon Dynamite.

John Cusack movies are a necessity to anyone's life. The best two, IMO are Say Anything and High Fidelity

For more dramatic movies that make you think, try American Beauty or Crash

For more romantic movies, try Shakespeare in Love, Baz Lurhman's Romeo + Juliet and A Very Long Engagement.

A good psychological thriller is Donnie Darko. There's also V for Vendetta and the Matrix Trilogy, both of which are more action/thriller

My favorite "old" movies are Roman Holiday, All About Eve and Some Like it Hot

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of chick flics-Legally Blonde 1 & 2
Pretty Woman
A drama: The Red Violin
and after reading the "arnie" thread The terminator movies!!
DH fav's-saving private Ryan and a series called Band of Brothers!!

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Some of my favorite movies are:

Amelie....goooorrrgeous french movie.

Anything made by either Wes Anderson or Tim Burton. Wes Anderson made Life Aquatic and The Royal Tennenbaums (both GREAT movies) and Tim Burton made Corpse Bride, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Big Fish (loooove that movie) and Edard Scissorhands.

If you want a more academic movie with lots of talk and little action (but INCREDIBLE animation)...get Waking Life. I LOVE that movie. Lots of good ideas about dreams, existentialism and the state of society.

If you want a really smart, beautiful, imaginitave chick flick, get Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Hilarious "high school" movies that I love even though I'm no longer in that specific age-group are Empire Records (about a group of kids trying to save a record store from being turned into a major chain), Saved! (basically, it makes fun of Evangelical Christians, so if you think this might offend you, it's probably not for you), But I'm a Cheerleader (this is hilarious comedy about a closeted lesbian who checks herself into a center that promises to "cure her"...again, if you're offended by the idea of gay people, this is another one to skip), Mean Girls (Tina Fey made this movie, and is in it...need I say more?) and of course, Napoleon Dynamite.

John Cusack movies are a necessity to anyone's life. The best two, IMO are Say Anything and High Fidelity

For more dramatic movies that make you think, try American Beauty or Crash

For more romantic movies, try Shakespeare in Love, Baz Lurhman's Romeo + Juliet and A Very Long Engagement.

A good psychological thriller is Donnie Darko. There's also V for Vendetta and the Matrix Trilogy, both of which are more action/thriller

My favorite "old" movies are Roman Holiday, All About Eve and Some Like it Hot
I second just about everything she said (except for the movies I haven't seen yet).

I love Tim Burton movies too. I'd add Ed Wood and Sleepy Hollow to the list. There are a few things I don't like about Sleepy Hollow (I think the love story was pretty un-necessary) but visually it's beautiful. And scary. (I get scared easily though)

I don't know many foreign movies, but I'd strongly recommend Water, which is an Indian movie about a widows and the way they were treated. It's a very beautiful movie.

The Hudsucker's Proxy is a great one too. It's with Tim Burton and it's a very funny (and completely absurd) look at New York's business world in the 50s.
Death to Smoochy is a great dark comedy.

I'd also recommend Almost Famous, Life is Beautiful, To Kill a Mockingbird and Dr. Strangelove

I know it's been mentioned more than once already, but I have to mention V for Vendetta as well. Natalie Portman was really great in it. I've seen that film so many times I practically know it by heart.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, LionessRampant, have you been watching the same movies as me all year?

The only one on that list I haven't seen and loved is Edward Scissorhands (not a fan of horror movies in general) and A Very Long Engagement.

We've already talked about Wes Anderson movies... of course!

I didn't know anyone else had seen "But I'm a Cheerleader!" My friend lent it to me in high school, and I had no idea what it was about. All I can say is, glad I watched it after the 'rents were asleep!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Okay, LionessRampant, have you been watching the same movies as me all year?

The only one on that list I haven't seen and loved is Edward Scissorhands (not a fan of horror movies in general) and A Very Long Engagement.

We've already talked about Wes Anderson movies... of course!

I didn't know anyone else had seen "But I'm a Cheerleader!" My friend lent it to me in high school, and I had no idea what it was about. All I can say is, glad I watched it after the 'rents were asleep!
Edward Scissorhands is actually not a horror film...it's a fairy tale! In true Tim Burton fashion, I might add

A Very Long Engagement stars Audrey Tatou and was made by the same guy who made Amelie. Also in French.

The other movies I own that I didn't mention are Garden State, Capote, Rent, The Princess Bride, Love Actually, Lost in Translation and I Heart Huckabees

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are several anime movies that I like:

Ghost in the Shell II

Millennium Actress

The Inuyasha movies

Full Metal Alchemist: the movie.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you need a good cry What Dreams May Come is good for that
I think I bawled, literally, for 20 minutes at the end.

The Princess Bride is excellent too!

And as much as the scared the living daylights out of me, the Jaws movies are good, well except for the theme park one
3-D glasses anyone?

I also loved Romeo Must Die... actually any, what i call kung-fu action movies, with Jet Li are great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should sign up for Netflix or something, I didn't think there would be so many recommendations!
Thanks so much...a lot of the ones I hadn't heard of I searched up and they sound great, so I am anxious for my next few days off of school and work so I can get a couple of friends over and rent some of these.

(May I add that I am surprised and upset that no one mentioned The Godfather?! All my other favorites were mentioned...come on guys!
)