Canker sores!!

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Arrrgghhh!! Anyone get canker sores? I have one right now and it is making my whole mouth hurt!!! I put orajel on it, but it only helps for a few minutes and I then I need to put more on...
Why do they have to hurt so much??!!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get them from time to time. Do you know what it is that triggers them in you?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to get them too, and they would hurt SO bad
I feel your pain!

I found some stuff that works really well... but I can't remember what its called! If I figure it out, I'll let you know

Hope your mouth feels better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think my immune system triggers them. Who knows... Last night I felt bad like I was coming down with something, and this morning I woke up and felt fine. The only problem is that I have a canker sore now. I get them from time to time, but when I was younger I got them all the time. One time I had a mouth full of them. That was horrible.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get them quite often.. but my Dr told me that female teens and women in their 20s are more likely to get it than any other groups.
And I think he also told me that they think they are caused by stress, poor nutrition, and menstrual periods. Though I also read once somewhere that if you bite your cheeks or lips, that you are more likely to get them.. adn I chew the inside of my cheek alot.

I rinse my mouth out with warm saltwater.. it gets rid of them pretty fast.. the Origel just numbs them really.. I just do the slt water risne and then take the pain.

Good luck getting rid of the bugger.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to get them ALL the time when I was younger. I don't get them anymore, though. they really hurt and I feel your pain. I hope your mouth feels better soon!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get them alot and if I get one then I soon have alot all at the same time. My gastrologist told me to try mixing equal parts of Maloxx and Benadrly together. Then as often as you can at least every two hours put some in your mouth and swish it around for a good minute then spit it out don't swallow it.For me this has really helped .They heal twice as fast and its very soothing. Its worth a try..

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aks your doctor for a prescription for an antiviral, like acyclovir, if you get them often. Most people's bodies learn how to keep the herpes virus that causes cankers in check, but some don't.

I had a really nasty case of hoof&mouth (another herpes virus, just like chicken pox) two years ago, and it cleared it up in no time flat.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Aks your doctor for a prescription for an antiviral, like acyclovir, if you get them often. Most people's bodies learn how to keep the herpes virus that causes cankers in check, but some don't.

I had a really nasty case of hoof&mouth (another herpes virus, just like chicken pox) two years ago, and it cleared it up in no time flat.
I didn't think canker sores were caused by the herpes virus, I thought just cold sores (the ones on the outside of your mouth) were?

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually get them if I eat too much tomato based stuff or chocolate. Like when I go on a salsa binge and eat a ton of it, the next day I'm feeling it!

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I didn't think canker sores were caused by the herpes virus, I thought just cold sores (the ones on the outside of your mouth) were?
It is a different kind of herpes virus (Herpes Simplex I, I believe) that 98% of all U.S. population have.

P.S. anything with SLS (sodium lauryl sulfates) would irritate the sore, so a natural, foam-free toothpaste would be better.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm... I think maybe I call them all canker sores, like including the ones on the outside of your mouth? I think you're right, Katiemae. I never realized that people called them different things! Sorry for the confusion!

I can sympathize Rachel! That weird hoof&mouth thing I got was like having about 100 canker sores, from your lips down to you stomach. No, I didn't eat for a really long time (another symptom of the illness being appetite suppression to the point that animals often die from starvation).

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Hmmmm... I think maybe I call them all canker sores, like including the ones on the outside of your mouth? I think you're right, Katiemae. I never realized that people called them different things! Sorry for the confusion!

I can sympathize Rachel! That weird hoof&mouth thing I got was like having about 100 canker sores, from your lips down to you stomach. No, I didn't eat for a really long time (another symptom of the illness being appetite suppression to the point that animals often die from starvation).
I'm pretty sure the ones in your mouth are canker sores, outside are cold sores.... totally different animal, but equally painful and annoying! i've never had a cold sore but I used to get cankers a lot when I was younger- they do hurt! I can hardly imagine what you had to go through Julie! ouchy ouchy ouch!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first posted about the anti-virals I was envisioning a canker sore (as I, apparently wrongly, call them) on the outside of the mouth... so I think I was confusing the two or else I call them both canker sores though they're not...

So scratch the advice about the anti-virals, although it still stands for cold sores, but that's not what the thread is about! Sorry Rachel!

Katiemae, yea, deeply deeply unpleasant. The health center kept telling me that it was nothing, putting this weird silver metal goo on it (by the way, that's what they do for canker sores, and it does work for them, if you go to the doctor) until finally I went back a third time and told them I could feel them down to my stomach and couldn't eat anything.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See.. in less than a day I got a Canker sore :p

Mines right beside the gum, on the cheeck.. it a weird spot because everytime I talk or chew, it hurts. Especially chew. Been too lazy to make a salt water rinse though. Since I've been doing my nose piercing.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try some Kanka... you have to dry the sore before you put it on, but it lasts A LOT longer than Orajel. It also stings at first, but it's worth it if you can bear it. It makes a film that doesn't get washed away by saliva.
I used to get them really bad, I even got one that covered the whole inside of my left cheek once.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shengmei

It is a different kind of herpes virus (Herpes Simplex I, I believe) that 98% of all U.S. population have.

P.S. anything with SLS (sodium lauryl sulfates) would irritate the sore, so a natural, foam-free toothpaste would be better.
The herpes virus gives you sores on the outside of your mouth, the ones on the inside are commonly called cold sores. They don't know what causes them, but it is thought to be caused by a bacteria or an autoimmune reaction when one gets a cold. Certain foods trigger them for some people, too... so there may be many causes.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad swears that folic acid prevents canker sores. He started taking one a day (the regular dose) and hasn't gotten any since. I don't know if that's what caused them to stop, but it might be worth a try if you get them a lot.