Becoming a Mod on here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I don't have access to the PM system yet, so I had to post here. Is there any way to become a Moderator? Here is some info about me:

I'm a moderator now at several forums, and my friend Meaghan even talked me into creating my own forum, and I now have two. i'd like, if possible to become a mod. I can devote a half hour on school days, and an hour on non-school days to monitor the forum. sometimes, I even get extra minutes on school days and non, depends on how school is. no matter what, I always get a half hour and an hour.

I am able to be friendly with people, give warnings, type with good English, able to communicate with people, sort out problems, etc.

The forums I moderate, people are happy with me-no complaints!!

The forums I've created are a success!!

I follow the rules on the many sites I am now on (thanks Meaghan!! ).

I am able to keep things in the mod forum private.

I'm honest and trustable.

And I won't let it interfer with my school work.

My Mum would be ok with it.

I really hope I can do it as I am looking forward to a reply.

also, the forums I moderate, they know I'm a kid and they still think I do a good job of it. And I do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, I'm gonna be active. I'll be active EVERY single day. I'll get to know the members, too.

sounds great!
I hope you get the job!
thanks, me too!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been here for years, and not once been offered to be a Mod, even though I have my own Message board. I don't know what it takes to be a Mod here.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think being at least 18 is one requirement

I don't really believe there is an application, I think new mods (when needed) are invited to join the team.

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The "18 age rule" IMO, is crazy. All that should matter is if a member is honest, trustworthy, a canidate to be a mod as far as keeping info in the mod forum private, etc, be expierenced, have good English, it shouldn't be a problem.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just my opinion, but calling the rules of a site you want to moderate crazy is probably not the best way to start the ball rolling.

This has come up before and a mod answered the question:
Originally Posted by valanhb

That's pretty much it. When we feel there is a need to add to the site team, we choose people who are active members in good standing. Mods are invited to join the team, it isn't really something you can volunteer for.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most importantly, is that we're all here for the kitties. Cats rule. They rule here 24/7, they are our passion, our lives, our everything. Not that you are not passionate too...but with you being so new it almost might appear that you're more focused on "moderating for moderating's sake" and that's simply what we're not about. Why not enjoy this site and be an active member for awhile? that would speak louder than anything, really.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe the question has been pretty much answered here already. Yes, you do need to be over 18 here to moderate, and it is by invitation when there are openings on the team. Presently, we feel our staff is working well and don't see the need to add to it.

I'll move this to the FAQ forum.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
* You need to be on here for more than 30 mins a day
* You need to have general knowledge about computers and internet
* You need to be over 18
* and you need to have a very good knowledge about kitties!

To be a moderator on the cat site, is very very hard work!

There are many reasons why you have to be over 18, even if you think you are mature and intelligent you're still underage! And for security reasons, this is why you dont have the PM thing yet

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

* You need to be on here for more than 30 mins a day
* You need to have general knowledge about computers and internet
* You need to be over 18
* and you need to have a very good knowledge about kitties!

To be a moderator on the cat site, is very very hard work!

There are many reasons why you have to be over 18, even if you think you are mature and intelligent you're still underage! And for security reasons, this is why you dont have the PM thing yet
I have an xtreme knowledge of computers and internet
I have a very good knowledge about kitties
I am able to be on this forum for 30-60 minutes a day, SOMETIMES a little longer
I don't want to be a Moderator JUST to be a Moderator!

There are so many people whoo are able to do it but JUST because they are under 18, they are shunned away from being a Moderator. That's not very fair, since a lot of "younger" members are ABLE to do it. Under 13, I can see, but the "18" rule is a little strict.

Icklemiss21, sorry, but that's how I feel about that rule. However, I would not say that kind of stuff about the rules if I was a Mod, and I won't as a member either, I'm just voicing an opinion.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's great that you have your own forums, and you're only 13.

Regardless of how you feel about the other criteria, or the fact that it is by invitation only, the mods don't feel the need to add another moderator at this time, and that's all the answer you should need. In other words, they're not "hiring" so there is no need to "apply".

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sunshine'sKid

However, I would not say that kind of stuff about the rules if I was a Mod, and I won't as a member either, I'm just voicing an opinion.
Apart from the fact you just did, as Zissou's Mom said, they aren't looking right now and if interested will contact you rather than have you apply

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sunshine'sKid

I have an xtreme knowledge of computers and internet
I have a very good knowledge about kitties
I am able to be on this forum for 30-60 minutes a day, SOMETIMES a little longer
I don't want to be a Moderator JUST to be a Moderator!

There are so many people whoo are able to do it but JUST because they are under 18, they are shunned away from being a Moderator. That's not very fair, since a lot of "younger" members are ABLE to do it. Under 13, I can see, but the "18" rule is a little strict.

Icklemiss21, sorry, but that's how I feel about that rule. However, I would not say that kind of stuff about the rules if I was a Mod, and I won't as a member either, I'm just voicing an opinion.
I'm sorry, but I have a 13 year old and he is NO way WELL INFORMED about kitties. Heck, I have a 16 year old and she isn't that knowledgeable either.
I myself am 36 and I have a TON of things to learn about them.As far as a 1/2 hour or even an hour on here,I get on every day for atleast 4 hours and I don't come near being about read ALL posts.
Why not just sit back and enjoy being a member of this wonderful forum and put your efforts towards learning more info about kitties?

13 is IN NO WAY old enough to know it ALL you are a child.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I'm sorry, but I have a 13 year old and he is NO way WELL INFORMED about kitties. Heck, I have a 16 year old and she isn't that knowledgeable either.
I myself am 36 and I have a TON of things to learn about them.As far as a 1/2 hour or even an hour on here,I get on every day for atleast 4 hours and I don't come near being about read ALL posts.
Why not just sit back and enjoy being a member of this wonderful forum and put your efforts towards learning more info about kitties?

13 is IN NO WAY old enough to know it ALL you are a child.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just like to add that it's nice to see someone so excited about our forums here. Why don't you get to know us all, and see which forums you like best and fit with, for one. I think we like to feel like our Mods are good friends, so we just need to get to know one another better, ya know?

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
crittermom,
just because YOUR son and daughter aren't knowledgeable, that means I can't be either? FYI, that's wrong to say. Just because your kids don't know anything, I can't either. *Rolls Eyes*

This is all I have to say: If you need a Mod ever, and will look past the "18" rule, I'm available.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it has less to do with the rules and more to do with COPPA and keeping the site rating.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your post to crittermom, casting aspersions on her kids, was very rude.
This is why we have so many 18 and over rules. Most of us have kids, and come here to get away from childish temper tantrums, eye rolling, and being told we are stupid, crazy, and hear things like "my friend Whatshername says." For some of us, it is the only human adult company we have for long periods of time. We discuss many adult topics that should 13 year old children need to learn about from their parents, hence the "IMO" forum.
You owe crittermom an apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.