It's going to be a challenge!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay fellow TCSers... I've decided to make some of my own chocolates for the holidays. Not the plastic mold kind, those are easy, no I'm going to try the big daddy of them all, Truffles! On my first attempt two years ago I was so unsuccessful that I am still finding dabs of chocolate under the weirdest stuff in my kitchen. I need some help coming up with flavors. Post what you like and I'll see if I can do it. Here's some that I've already come up with:

Chili and lime
Lemon pie (this would include some cookie crumbs)
Honey walnut

I really need your help on this one! It's going to take me days to make them all.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All espresso flavors are some of my favorite truffles, as is French vanilla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Love the taste of chocolate mint - esp. at holiday time.
Good call... I'll have to go and steal some mint from my father's garden.
Originally Posted by Arlyn

All espresso flavors are some of my favorite truffles, as is French vanilla
Espresso shouldn't be all that hard either, but I would be forced to buy an espresso machine. Darn.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

raspberry!!

If you can make raspberry truffles, I'm moving in with you just as soon as I can get packed!
I second that!!!!! Chocolate raspberry truffles...hummm maybe with some dark chocolate or white chocolate swirled in it!!!! Yummy! Can you move to Memphis so that I can eat the food you bake

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I second that!!!!! Chocolate raspberry truffles...hummm maybe with some dark chocolate or white chocolate swirled in it!!!! Yummy! Can you move to Memphis so that I can eat the food you bake
I've had to hide away some of my Mom's raspberry jam just so I can add them to the truffles.

It's going to be an attempt at making them. It may not work out as planned, but I won't complain if I get to eat what went wrong.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't ask me how to make them, but I always love the ones flavored with alcohol - Amaretto, Irish Cream, and I had some marvelous ones a few years ago that were Champagne flavor.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I second the Amaretto!

I forget who makes them but they're little balls and they come in brightly colored foil wrappers- they're usually sold next to the registers... I always get an Amaretto if they have it!!

That sounds like such a good idea! I was literally just talking to Chad about what I should make for the holidays this year
It's my first year bringing a dish to all the family stuff

Do you have a secret recipe/method or can you share

I'm off to research this! As long as I can squeeze it in there's plenty of time to practice and I'm sure Chad & his buddies won't mind taste testing!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I've had to hide away some of my Mom's raspberry jam just so I can add them to the truffles.

It's going to be an attempt at making them. It may not work out as planned, but I won't complain if I get to eat what went wrong.
I wouldn't complaine eithor! You sould like quite the excellent baker!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This recipe does not offer any flavour variations, but if you try it, you may not care...
They are so awesome just the way they are...

THE BEST CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES IN THE WORLD

The chocolate is Belgian. If you can find Callebaut, that's best, but as long as it's Belgian, that's what's important. The domestic stuff just doesn't cut it! (And our experience is that it's not significantly cheaper anyway!)

10½ oz\tSemisweet Chocolate
1 cup\t \tHeavy Cream
2 Tbsp Sweet Butter

\t\tCocoa (sifted)

Melt chocolate (in the microwave, it's about 3 minutes at 70%). Make sure it's completely melted. Bring cream to the boil, add to chocolate and whisk until smooth. Stir in butter until melted.

Cover completely with plastic wrap - plastic must be in contact with the chocolate - no air in between. Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate overnight.

Using a melon baller, or small ice cream scoop, scoop out balls of chocolate mixture. If you use a melon baller, have a knife handy to ease the chocolate ball out if necessary. In either case, dip your implement in hot water and dry off before putting it back into the chocolate.

Refrigerate chocolate balls several hours, then roll in sifted cocoa. Store covered in refrigerator.

Or, even better...

TRUFFLE DIPPING INSTRUCTIONS (shortcut way - no tempering)

A better finished product but you use a lot more chocolate. Start with the same quantity you used to make the truffles (left overs can be reused). To each 4 oz of Chocolate add 1 tsp of vegetable oil when melting (Sunflower preferred - if you use a nut oil like peanut make sure people know because of allergies)

Melt chocolate in a 2 c measuring cup, then put the cup in another 2 c measure with some hot tap water in it to keep chocolate warm and loose.

DIPPING
After balls have been formed, place in refrigerator overnight to harden.

Unless you have dipping tools (which you can buy) use a fork for dipping. Lay ball ON tines, and dip to cover completely. Run bottom of fork over edge of cup a couple of times to remove excess chocolate. Put back in refrigerator to harden, then place in small paper cups for presentation. The finished truffles are best kept in the refrigerator but are nicer if brought out 1/2 hr or so before enjoying

LEFTOVER CHOCOLATE
Pour into a ziploc bag. Close the bag and press flat. Let harden. Keep at room
temperature until wanted, then break into pieces and melt and it's ready for use.

These are absolutely incredible. I hope you enjoy them.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

This recipe does not offer any flavour variations, but if you try it, you may not care...
They are so awesome just the way they are...

THE BEST CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES IN THE WORLD

The chocolate is Belgian. If you can find Callebaut, that's best, but as long as it's Belgian, that's what's important. The domestic stuff just doesn't cut it! (And our experience is that it's not significantly cheaper anyway!)

10½ oz\tSemisweet Chocolate
1 cup\t \tHeavy Cream
2 Tbsp Sweet Butter

\t\tCocoa (sifted)

Melt chocolate (in the microwave, it's about 3 minutes at 70%). Make sure it's completely melted. Bring cream to the boil, add to chocolate and whisk until smooth. Stir in butter until melted.

Cover completely with plastic wrap - plastic must be in contact with the chocolate - no air in between. Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate overnight.

Using a melon baller, or small ice cream scoop, scoop out balls of chocolate mixture. If you use a melon baller, have a knife handy to ease the chocolate ball out if necessary. In either case, dip your implement in hot water and dry off before putting it back into the chocolate.

Refrigerate chocolate balls several hours, then roll in sifted cocoa. Store covered in refrigerator.

Or, even better...

TRUFFLE DIPPING INSTRUCTIONS (shortcut way - no tempering)

A better finished product but you use a lot more chocolate. Start with the same quantity you used to make the truffles (left overs can be reused). To each 4 oz of Chocolate add 1 tsp of vegetable oil when melting (Sunflower preferred - if you use a nut oil like peanut make sure people know because of allergies)

Melt chocolate in a 2 c measuring cup, then put the cup in another 2 c measure with some hot tap water in it to keep chocolate warm and loose.

DIPPING
After balls have been formed, place in refrigerator overnight to harden.

Unless you have dipping tools (which you can buy) use a fork for dipping. Lay ball ON tines, and dip to cover completely. Run bottom of fork over edge of cup a couple of times to remove excess chocolate. Put back in refrigerator to harden, then place in small paper cups for presentation. The finished truffles are best kept in the refrigerator but are nicer if brought out 1/2 hr or so before enjoying

LEFTOVER CHOCOLATE
Pour into a ziploc bag. Close the bag and press flat. Let harden. Keep at room
temperature until wanted, then break into pieces and melt and it's ready for use.

These are absolutely incredible. I hope you enjoy them.
Oh my, I'm going to have to print that one out! Thanks so much!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, now I'm thinking that I should do some cherry ones as well. How does that sound?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Fran - the Chocolate Elf - has spoken....
Jan, the source of that recipe is the guy I buy the ready made ones from. Which reminds me, we're overdue!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Fran, I really hope that recipe is in the cookbook threads!
Well, Heidi, I could have sworn that I put it in the first collection, but having just checked, it seems not. I can't believe I didn't put it in the first one! So...yes, I'm on my way over to the fundraiser to rectify that. Good thing you mentioned it, because I really was blithely going along assuming we already had it the first time around.