Tesco's finest- any good?

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just fed my kittens some new food and I was impressed by the way it actually looked like something I might eat.
Ingredients:
white fish (min 45%)
Tiger Prawn (min 3%)
Sunflower oil
Tapioca starch
Vitamins and Minerals
Its advertised as a complete cat food for adult cats. They're still kittens but there was no kitten food and we figured if they have to have adult food they may as well have something that looks impressive. Plus they
it.
I'd love to know what you all think. I'm not too sure about the starch but its 4th on a list of six so I don't know how bad that is.
Any impressions?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
White fish is not impressive... as it can be any white non oily fish in the ocean... but on a whole decent food

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i think there's too much mercury in fish to be eating everyday.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have looked at the Tesco Finest range, but just a bit too pricey in my opinion, I can get HiLife pate for less, also complete. The ingredients for their Salmon pate (only flavour I have to hand) are Salmon (min 26%), Pork, Liver, Chicken, Icean Whitefish, Vits and Mins, EEC permitted colourants. I know someone who didn't like the pork in it, and I do wonder about pork, liver and chicken in a Salmon cat food, but I still think it is better than things like this: Meat and Animal Derivatives (Chicken 4% minimum), Minerals, Various Sugars, Coloured with EC additives. Such a shame that Molly misses her chunks and isnt happy on100% HiLife!!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

White fish is not impressive... as it can be any white non oily fish in the ocean... but on a whole decent food
White fish just means that it's the remains of several types of fish, rather than the remains of just cod, or just haddock. There is nothing wrong with anything labelled 'white fish', just that it is going to be more than one type of fish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does the HiLife pate have that brown paste/mulch look? my kittens Refuse to eat anything that looks like that and suddenly develop a taste for their dry food. Where do you get your HiLife from?

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends which one you get - the chicken and giblets and salmon flavours are proper pate, and do have a paste texture, but the Tuna Imperial doesn't it is like tuna. No idea on the kitten one though, dont have kittens!! I generally get my HiLife online, but it is on offer in tesco and wilkinsons at the moment, but I still have 6 boxes to get through!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

White fish just means that it's the remains of several types of fish, rather than the remains of just cod, or just haddock. There is nothing wrong with anything labelled 'white fish', just that it is going to be more than one type of fish.
DId I say there was anything wrong??? NO I didnt ... Please read before replying as I explained why I wasnt impressed as I dont like to not know exactly what it is ... In a smaller amount I find it a okay but the main ingrediant should be CLEARLY labeled not a generic term... I would have you re read the orginal post as it is explained

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

DId I say there was anything wrong??? NO I didnt ... Please read before replying as I explained why I wasnt impressed as I dont like to not know exactly what it is ... In a smaller amount I find it a okay but the main ingrediant should be CLEARLY labeled not a generic term... I would have you re read the orginal post as it is explained
Calm down mate! I wasn't accusing you of anything at all, you seem to be over-reacting a bit. No offense intended
I eat stuff labelled 'white fish' because I don't care whether it's cod, haddock, hake, coley etc... it's all good and yummy

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Calm down mate! I wasn't accusing you of anything at all, you seem to be over-reacting a bit. No offense intended
I eat stuff labelled 'white fish' because I don't care whether it's cod, haddock, hake, coley etc... it's all good and yummy
Ahhh in your case then it is a great thing..lol.. I just worry it is Tang or weird fish... ohh and with my allergies I need to know

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ahhh in your case then it is a great thing..lol.. I just worry it is Tang or weird fish... ohh and with my allergies I need to know
Glad it's all cool, last thing I wanted to do was to offend, but I do suffer from 'foot in mouth' occassionally and phrase things so they come out sounding (or reading) wrong

Anyhow it's good to know that Tescos are doing a better quality of food than the usual supermarket 'economy' own-brand stuff (although it has to be said that they are also pretty good with their own brand premium range human food too), must get along there and see what they've got. I've been disappointed with some of the wet food I've been getting - it doesn't look like meat/fish and turns out it has little of the real thing in it
so anything with a higher content of meat/fish is worth a try!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've been disappointed with some of the wet food I've been getting - it doesn't look like meat/fish and turns out it has little of the real thing in it
so anything with a higher content of meat/fish is worth a try!
Have you tried natures menu and hi life? Both have a good meat content (70% and 60% respectively) and are, I think, cheaper than tesco finest.