Tornado

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have had some nasty afternoon storms over the past couple of days. That isn't anything unusual for us this time of year. They are usually full of lightning, wind, and heavy rain and last for an hour or two before clearing out. What we don't normally see here in Florida are tornadoes. We get the occasional tornado watch when circulation is found in the severe storms, but it isn't something that happens with every storm. Anyway... I had chemistry and then lab yesterday. I was leaving lab at about 2:00 and noticed the sky was very dark. When I got into my car I heard the tail end of the emergency broadcast system alarm, but the music immediately followed so I assumed it was just a test. I continued heading toward home and noticed that there was something strange about the weather. I can't really explain it, other than to say it was strange.
I exit off of the highway just before crossing a fairly large bridge. As I near my exit, the bridge and river become visible. When I reached this point yesterday, I saw it. A tornado! Well, I guess it was actually a water spout at that point... I was scared and excited at the same time. People were pulling off to the side of the road and getting out of their cars to watch it. I kept going... I did slow down a bit to get a better look, but was worried about where it would go and wanted to get home asap. I went inside and got Brody and Dori into the office with me so I could check the weather report. I found out the storm was moving east, which was away from my house.
I went outside and talked to my neighbor who arrived home a little after I did. He was coming home from the direction of the bridge. He said as he went across the tornado was right near him... He said he had never been more scared in his life. This wasn't a large tornado/ water spout, in fact the weather report said the winds in it were no more than 80 mph. It was still scary and exciting all the same!

Here are a few of the news reports, which include pictures as well.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/t...?storyid=64291

http://www.news4jax.com/weather/9804558/detail.html

lizmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bet that was spectacular! Hope it didn't cause a lot of damage. Were you and your cats ok? Hope so.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm scarrreeeddd to death of Tornados.. Seriously it's like my #1 fear!!! We live in Indiana, so they are quite predominate. Thank god that i've not seen one in years. But I literally freak out when the weather gets bad. We have a basement,, and i have to collect my daughter, Bella, Chestnut and Angel and Sheba (our dog) and try to get them all downstairs during tornado warnings. Everyone is fine with it except Sheba,, she is scared to death of the basement,, and getting a 70lbs dog downstairs (it's not an easy chore)... Most of the time my husband is home during it,, so he picks her up and brings her down...

That's pretty wild you saw it.. I hope it didn't do much damage. I would had frozen, i'm that petrified of them!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im glad you all were ok !!!!! 80mph is still damaging winds !!!! We have tornadoes here, too and I understand the fear because I have that fear !!!! ........ as many as we have I have never seen one live, tho because I am always hiding !!!!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw this on TWC this morning! They exactly the same, that people were pulling over to look at it! Tanya, in the future, when you see a tornado, go the other way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

I just saw this on TWC this morning! They exactly the same, that people were pulling over to look at it! Tanya, in the future, when you see a tornado, go the other way!
I couldn't! I needed to get to the house. At the time I wasn't sure if it was an isolated tornado, or what. I wanted to get home to make sure Dori and Brody were safe

No one was hurt and there wasn't any damage reported from the storm.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

Tanya, We have tornados in MN where I live, and I agree completely! If you ever see a tornado again move away from it!!!! They are extremely dangerous, and are capable of easily throwing cars into the air, uprooting trees, and reducing homes and businesses to nothing but rubble!!!! It really isn't safe to stop and watch one of these.

BTW, we had a huge mile-wide tornado in MN last week that caused a lot of damage and even completely destroyed every single building on one family's farm.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow Squirt, I would have been scared and excited all at the same time too!!Glad everyone is ok!