Wisdom teeth pulled?

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This sucks, Im 19(almost 20) and my wisdom teeth are growing in.
It's painful.
However my dentist said they are growing in straight so I dont have to get them pulled. But I dunno I am thinking maybe I could or should.

Anyone wanna share stories?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

I had mine out when I was 18 and thought it was great. Although the iv of valium may have clouded my judgement a bit
That could offset any negative moments indeed

My daughter kept her wisdom teeth for about 8 years, but they tend to get more cavities, so finally had hers removed. But since they were already out, it was a minor procedure & she refused any pain meds. I had mine surgically removed (they were impacted) and I got a "dry socket", plus got a "hangover" from the sedative that I was given. As the old saying goes, "If it aint broke, why fix it? "

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they're growing fine, and your jaw is big enough to hold them all, and your dentist is happy with them, then I wouldn't.

Keep the regular check ups happening, and if they say they need to come out, then get them out straight away!

I only have my not so good story...
Want bad stories?

enkeli-kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm 16 and my first wisdom tooth is growing. Yay!!! I'm becoming wiser!!! It feels really funny!

I'd also like to know about getting them out. I'm kinda proud of my single tooth...I'm the first of my friends to become wiser!!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine were bony impactions and they had to be cut out. My dentist was greatt and super nice. His name was Dr. Moeller pronounced molar (I thought that was funny). My pain meds made me sleep and it sucked not being able to eat normally and open my jaw normally for a while. I didn't get dry socket or anything so it all turned out well for me. But the chipmunk look doesn't suit me!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only had upper ones!!! They too were straight but I had them pulled when I was in my mid-20's. I only had novocaine and the dentist had them out in less that 90 seconds each!! In fact it took longer to wait for the novocaine to work that the actual tooth pulling!! I do remember hearing cracking sounds when the dentist removed them and didn't look that them when the were out!! The holes felt kind of wierd for a while but everything was ok.

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had all four and the only time in the procedure that there was a problem was when they put in the IV, but that was a rare problem that I have and you should be fine. Mine were all coming in straight, too, but there was no room in my jaw for them. They were pushing all of my other teeth out of the way and it HURT. So they took them out
. After the surgery I had no pain except in the middle of the night when the pain meds wore off. If you do have the surgery just make sure they give you a syringe to clean the holes. My brother only had one wisdom tooth so they didn't give him a syringe and he got dry socket.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't have room in my mouth for them to come in and had all of them pulled. They were impacted and couldn't come thru my gumline. It was a nightmare - 2 of the 4 of them had wrapped their roots around my jawbone and they had to cut out a portion of the jaw to get the teeth out. It felt like they broke my jaw afterwards. They did 2 at a time and I was in pain for about 6 months after each session and couldn't fully open my mouth for 4 months each time. I think I was about 25 at the time.

After that experience, I don't recommend to anyone to have theirs pulled unless it is a medical necessity.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine grew in straight.
I had then pulled anyway.
My orthodontist said it's better to pull them, as even those that seem fine develop problems about 90% of the time further down the road.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had mine pulled when I was 17. It was kind of a pain because I'd had braces from age 13 to age 16, and I had been told them that I didn't have wisdom teeth and would never have wisdom teeth, and it was a good thing because my mouth is really, really tiny. (Try telling that to anyone who knows me!
) So, anyway, it turned out that I did have wisdom teeth and they were crushing the teeth beside them, because my mouth was so small. I had to go to a special dental surgeon because the damage to my teeth and the size of my mouth complicated matters, but the doctor was really nice and I was able to ask a lot of questions. I think the most unnerving part of the procedure was seeing the heart monitor -- because I had to be put under for the procedure and there was a possibility that there might be complications from the anaesthetic.

Anyway, afterwards I was pretty much okay, despite having had six teeth (two of them badly damaged) removed. I chose not to take the painkillers they gave me, because I found the pain to be less than that of the frequent migraines I got so I determined that I could handle it. The problem I had was that it turned out I was allergic to the antibiotics (I already knew I was allergic to penicillin; turns out I'm also allergic to erythromicin), so I got really sick. I just stopped taking the antibiotics (ummm, I don't actually recommend this, since infection really does suck, but I have an extremely efficient immune system and didn't want to find out what other fun antibiotics I was allergic to). I didn't get an infection, and once I was off the antibiotics I felt a lot better. I'm one of the few people I know who had her wisdom teeth removed and didn't neither painkillers or antibiotics.

It did end up destroying three years' and several thousand dollars worth of brace-work, though: my bottom teeth (which were straight before the braces and the wisdom teeth removal) are now crooked, and the gap between my upper teeth (which was why I had braces in the first place -- that and an overbite) has returned. Boo. I'm not getting braces again, though; that was just unpleasant.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have my wisdom teeth, and I'm 30. My one grew in straight,, the other is a little crooked,, but not to bad. IT's enough to annoy me. But my teeth are all straight from braces (many years of them), and so it's off a smidgen which annoys me..

My husband teeth are really bad,, his wisdome teeth literally rotted out,,don't know why,, but I'd see what your dentist wants to do...

heather

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappyHendrix

This sucks, Im 19(almost 20) and my wisdom teeth are growing in.
It's painful.
However my dentist said they are growing in straight so I dont have to get them pulled. But I dunno I am thinking maybe I could or should.

Anyone wanna share stories?
I don't know if I was lucky or what, I never got any
Most people I do know had them out, just one less thing to have to ever think about

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My story is short and sweet..........had them till I was 40....one decayed in the back, so I ended up getting all 4 pulled. I was knocked out, so I didn't feel a thing!

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

I don't know if I was lucky or what, I never got any
Most people I do know had them out, just one less thing to have to ever think about
Not lucky, just more evolved!
More and more people are being born without wisdom teeth. They are no longer necessary for tearing and gnawing meat.

I had mine cut out at 18. I threw up from the anesthetic and torn all my stitches. It was miserable.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My bottom teeth were sideways since there wasn't enough in my mouth, and the top ones hadn't come through but since my jaw is small, they removed them while they were there. I had major swelling after mine, especially in one cheek which was also very bruised - the bruising went up to my eye!

I couldn't open my mouth wide enough to fit a tooth brush in until a week after the op, and that was only a baby toothbrush so my breath STUNK!

My jaw was really stiff, the painkillers made me sick, and I threw up so much blood a few hours after the op.