Won't keep Collar on!

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sarah will not keep her collar on! We tried a Cat Safe collar and she kept scratching at it and her neck and then we would find it on the floor afterwhile. Max has no problem with his Cat Safe collar. We thought the material made Sarah itch, so we tried Soft Touch, which is better, but she still doesn't like to keep it on. She doesn't itch as much with the Soft Touch, but how do we keep it on her? Right now she has no collar on her. Anyone else have suggestions on collars or how to keep it on her?

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long have you been trying to put a collar on her?

When I put one on Maui he went nuts at first, then scratched at it like crazy, and was also able to get it off a few times- but I kept putting it back on. Then the next evening I took the bell off and that made a big difference for him- I think it bugged him
All in all it took a few days for him to get used to it, and then once he was used to the collar I put his ID tag on it with no problems!

Yesterday when I was on our front porch petting our little stray kittens Maui was insanely jealous and ran around the house being a terror- he got his collar off too and I think he did it just because he knows mom wants him to wear it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that is where our problems lies... we just need to make her wear it. We tried without the tags as well. Oh, well we'll try again. Thanks, it's nice to know we're not alone and other people go through it as well.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chestnut is like that too.. She literally was able to unbuckle a cat collar. I had a cheapy from walmart with fake diamonds on it, and a buckle, and she would unbuckle it, and leave it in the hall.. laying flat as can be.

I bought all my girls ragtime pet collars, and they love them.. Chestnut hasn't even tried to get it off.. the Material is soft, and the bell isn't annoying, and the clip is perfect.

Just make your furbaby wear it, and eventually they'll get used to it!!

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten who is very energetic and her "siblings" scratch at her while playing, etc and it hasen't come off. It's a breakaway cheapy bought from CVS for 87 cents!! I would be doing this:
to myself if I haden't bought it. It's pink and was the only one left.
Anyways, it could be certain teaxtures, I don't know.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

I bought all my girls ragtime pet collars, and they love them.. Chestnut hasn't even tried to get it off.. the Material is soft, and the bell isn't annoying, and the clip is perfect.
I got one from there too! They are really nice! I think he just didn't like the bell even though I did
, it seemed like it was driving him nuts then once I took it off we didn't have any more problems! At least I can hear his ID tag clinking a little bit

How is it going keeping her collar on?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So far so good. We went back to the Soft Touch collar and she has kept it on for the last few days
. We have not put her id tags on yet, waiting a bit before we add that on.

I like the Soft Touch collar, but I wish it came with a break away clip. I have used the soft touch collars before with Sam & Patrick, which worked fine for them. But the Cat Safe collar really bugs Sarah
. I have looked at the ragtime collars, but does anyone know if stores carry something similar?