Our annual blood drive

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So every year we have a blood drive here at work. After all, the red cross main bldg is right across the street from me! Even though I am a big chicken with needles, I know that this is a life saving cause that truly directly affects people. So I have donated for 3 years now. Each year promptly passing out after donation! Once I concked out in the mailroom on the floor, once I made it back down to the room to tell them I didn't feel so good, and last year I made it back to my desk only to be out of conciousness with my eyes glased over passed out in my chair! How embarassing?!
But still, what's a little embarassment for me when I could be saving 2 lives with each donation?! So 3 years ago when I passed out they told me I needed to drink my 8 8oz glasses of water before donation. So 2 years ago I did that, and ate normally, and still passed out. Then they said you need to eat huge meals that day, your 8 8oz glasses of water, and no coffee
before donation. So last year, I did that.....and still passed out! And had to be carried downstairs to a stretcher! Then they said, well, you really need to be way overly hydrated.....so you should: drink 16 8oz glasses of water the day before donation, drink 8 8oz glasses of water the day of donation, no coffee before donation
, and eat a huge breakfast and a huge lunch before donating.
This seems like an awful lot of work for my good intentions! So I am donating on Thurs Sept 21st, tell me oh wise cat ladies (and gents!), am I going to pass out again this year?! If so, I think this may be my last attempt at giving blood. I end up a wreck the whole rest of the day!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could give blood. I didn't know that I would't be able to if I lived in Erope for more than 6 months because of mad cow. But you think by now if I had mad cow one would know right?! ;lol:

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heather, I can't believe you pass out that is very scary! You are brave to give blood again! They keep calling me to give blood but I can't leave Bella for that long

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I wish I could give blood. I didn't know that I would't be able to if I lived in Erope for more than 6 months because of mad cow. But you think by now if I had mad cow one would know right?! ;lol:
Brandi, Mad Cow???? I think you would know by now.... My husband says I have Mad Shoe disease!
I went to a shoe sale on Labor Day with my SIL (we go every year I call it Shoes-a-Palooza) all shoes are $3.99, so I bought 21 pairs! Last year I got 36 pairs! I said, hunny can I have your truck for the shoe sale? He says "babe, you really think you need a truck???"

Bella, I do it cause I know how important it is....besides, my pappy had to have several transfusions before he died. It's the least I can do for others....

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

Brandi, Mad Cow???? I think you would know by now.... My husband says I have Mad Shoe disease!
I went to a shoe sale on Labor Day with my SIL (we go every year I call it Shoes-a-Palooza) all shoes are $3.99, so I bought 21 pairs! Last year I got 36 pairs! I said, hunny can I have your truck for the shoe sale? He says "babe, you really think you need a truck???"
That is really what they told me when I tried to donate. I was really disappointed! I wanted a cookie!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

That is really what they told me when I tried to donate. I was really disappointed! I wanted a cookie!
I set up the blood drive here in our office, and know a few of the people from the red cross so they always leave me the left over cases of oj & cookies....
I'll will be sure to eat one in your name!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

I set up the blood drive here in our office, and know a few of the people from the red cross so they always leave me the left over cases of oj & cookies....
I'll will be sure to eat one in your name!
Thanks. Just as long as you get the calories cause I am on a diet and that isn't in my list of ok to eat stuff!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe it's just the stress of donating that's making you pass out??

Either way....good for you for donating

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also pass out! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. If you find something that works let me know. I didn't end up donating this year because I was the oncall chaplain, and you can't have an on call person hooked up and probably passing out!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you luck Heather, They are always calling my to donate blood because i'm a rare A- blood type but I am always somewhat anemic so they can't talk my blood. They told me to eat Spinach *Yeuck*

hope things went well

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow I donate blood!!! I am kinda nervous! I really don't want to pass out again this year! I have to drink twice my water intake today and tomorrow so I am extra hydrated, and eat 2 big meals before donating....

My water goal for today is 128oz of water....
So far I am at 50.7oz.....that leaves me with 77.3oz to go!!!
(I am a real pee-anist today!
) And this is not including my large cup of coffee and the small cup of tea I'm drinking right now to keep warm....

Try to remember me tomorrow afternoon!!! If I don't respond to any posts, chances are I'm downstairs on a stretcher with a straw full of orange juice and cookie crumbs all over me!!!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to donate all the time then the last time (about 2 years ago) I almost passed out and I just have not been able to get myself to go back.
Positive imaging is everything, just imagine yourself getting through it without passing out.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm back from donation!!!! And so far "I'm still standin' yeah, yeah, yeah!" I have made it so far. But there were a few complications.... 1st of all, my iron was very low. I just made it to donate.... They put a drop of your blood in this blue test tube, and mine floated back up, which means it had to be tested further.... but then I could donate. Then the nurse didn't have the needle in exactly right, so she had to re-route it a little bit.... then after so long, I stopped bleeding?! She didn't want to have to re-route the needle again cause I was already bruising up nicely, so she just said that was enough. It won't be enough for a transfusion, but it will go in for medical testing and research. Owell, I tried!!!

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im glad it went well for you. I got to this thread a bit late but I do have some advice. My husband and I donate plasma twice a week, every week. We get paid for it and the extra money helps. Anyway over the last 6 months or so I have learned a few tricks to make donation go a whole lot smoother.
First the water thing is right but you need to do it the night before. The best things to drink are orange juice and gatorade. We both try to drink about a liter of OJ and one of the big bottles of gatorade. I have noticed that woman when triing to donate during their time of the month that the iron levels are low. The best thing to do is stock up on high iron things like spinich and red meat the night before. IF you wait and do it the day of your body does not have time to process the nutriants and you may pass out or not have high enough levels. I find that eating about an hour before makes things go a whole lot smoother and I don't feel light headed. Also we go out and eat a realiivly large meal right after.
Since we have started we have had to change our diets. If you eat foods that are high in fat it will make it worse. You want to stick to extra lean meats and eat a TON of veggies. Try to really have a balanced diet. No fast food or things with caffien(sp). Caffiene restricts blood flow so it does make it tougher and take longer. Alchohol before donating is really bad to, try not to drink any 24 hours before.
I have noticed, I feel better after I have donated.
The down side of whole blood donation is you can only do it once every 3 months or so but plasma can be twice a week. All they do is run our blood thrugh a machine seperate out the plasma and return your red blood cells. It really is quite refreshing.
Any way congrats on a succesful donation and you are still really helping people.