TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › How often do you need to brush your cats teeth?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How often do you need to brush your cats teeth?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'm hearing lately that eating dry food really doesnt help that much for keeping cats teeth clean. And so I am wondering this.

Any ideas?
post #2 of 14
If you work with your cat in brushing as a kitten, you may have more success. I confess I've NEVER done it. I have taken cats to the vet to have teeth cleaned in the past.
post #3 of 14
I try to brush mine once a day, although in reality it's usually more like 4 times a week. When I say brushing, I don't always use a brush. I use logic gel and try to brush with that at least once a week, if not more. The rest of the time I let them lick it out of the tube as it is supposed to still work that way.
post #4 of 14
I think it's because plaque buildup is harder to remove with dry food than moist/wet food. Oscar wasn't used to brushing, so every night, I use a soft gauze or baby cloth, and put animal toothpaste (It's non-toxic and edible), and go through his teeth and entire mouth, I also use a animal oral cavity cleaner that is based on ionised water, so it can be mixed with his drinking water I do all the trick coz Oscar hates brush
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45
If you work with your cat in brushing as a kitten, you may have more success. I confess I've NEVER done it. I have taken cats to the vet to have teeth cleaned in the past.
thats what i was thinking. start early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbantigers
The rest of the time I let them lick it out of the tube as it is supposed to still work that way.
i question that. as far as i've learned removing plaque requires 'friction.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsoul
I use a soft gauze or baby cloth, and put animal toothpaste (It's non-toxic and edible), and go through his teeth and entire mouth,...
2 of 3 of my cats doesnt like the toothpaste. the smell seems to repel them.


i ended up taking a salmon flavoured temptation treat kibble (just one), soaking it in 1oz of warm water, and dabbing the toothbrush into it. i then let all the cats lick it off. they loved it! sometimes they bite on it as well and there is a little friction cleaning action as well. so i'm gonna do this for a while until they all begin to associate the toothbrush with being 'good', then i can start to try to brush more. i wanna make brushing a FUN thing!
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingRecover View Post
i question that. as far as i've learned removing plaque requires 'friction.'
I use logic gel - it contains enzymes which adhere to the teeth inhibiting plaque forming bacteria and breaking down plaque. Supposedly. It will work best with brushing but it claims to be effective even when you don't brush. It says on the packaging "Although regular brushing is to be encouraged, the benefit of logic gel will still be apparent even where brushing is not possible". Both of my cats love the taste of it it so it's very easy to give them some every day - brushing is a little harder!
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsoul View Post
I think it's because plaque buildup is harder to remove with dry food than moist/wet food. Oscar wasn't used to brushing, so every night, I use a soft gauze or baby cloth, and put animal toothpaste (It's non-toxic and edible), and go through his teeth and entire mouth, I also use a animal oral cavity cleaner that is based on ionised water, so it can be mixed with his drinking water I do all the trick coz Oscar hates brush

Can you please tell me the name of the animal oral cavity cleaner you use and where you find it? Thanks!!
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny82 View Post
Can you please tell me the name of the animal oral cavity cleaner you use and where you find it? Thanks!!
Hey! I use the CET Chews, an animal toothpaste manufactured, by Vibrac.
post #9 of 14
I use Logic and brush daily!

Even though two of my cats were two and a half when we started brushing, they took to it very quickly!
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsoul View Post
Hey! I use the CET Chews, an animal toothpaste manufactured, by Vibrac.
Thank you! I will have to look into that.
post #11 of 14
My cat won't let me brush her teeth with CET at all. I am interested in the Logic gel but it is not sold in the USA. Is there anyone in Britain who can let me know how to get some over here? It may mean the difference between my cat's life and death. She has to have her teeth cleaned but the vet is reluctant to sedate her because of her damaged heart.

Thanks in advance for any information.
post #12 of 14
Best pet pharmacy sell it and ship overseas

http://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk/det...uct.asp?id=153

It really is good stuff. I didnt start attempting to brush Jaffa's teeth properly until recently and he's 9. Although actual brushing isn't easy, he likes the taste of the logic gel enough to not run away. The main problem is that he's always trying to lick it off the brush or my finger instead of letting me actually rub it on his teeth and gums. But he still gets some that way so it's all good
post #13 of 14
Thank you for the referral. I'm a little surprised that this stuff isn't sold in the USA or Canada. I'll try some for Gizmo as soon as I can get it.
post #14 of 14
I've ordered two tubes of Logic and will try it on Gizmo after it arrives in a week or so. Thanks for the referral. There are no side effects, I hope?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › How often do you need to brush your cats teeth?