Choosing a loving cat?

elise1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How can you improve your chances of adopting a kitten with a calm, loving disposition?

I have gotten kittens from animal control, a humane society and breeders. I've loved every cat I ever had, but some had more to give to me than others.

Elise

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the best way to get the disposition you want is to adopt an adult cat. From what I've heard, kittens' personalities can always change as they get older. Sorry

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think the words 'calm' and 'kitten' really belong in the same sentence together!

If calm is what you're after then I would look for an adult cat that needs a new home.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie May & Jazz a Boo were 7 1/2 years old when we adopted each other. I could not ask for 2 more loving kitties. Jazz sits on my lap every night when I get home and Maggie May always sleeps with me. I think you would be very wise to go with an older cat. Hope this helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elise1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I absolutely want a kitten. I do love the wild kitten stage, and wouldn't miss it for the world.

I see my original post was poorly worded. I want to choose a kitten that will turn into an affectionate cat.

I have had cats my whole life (I'm close to 50 now). The most loving cat I have ever had was a pure breed Russian Blue I bought from a breeder. I wonder if you improve your chances of getting a good disposition by getting a cat from a breeder or was that just luck?

Elise

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Elise1

No, I absolutely want a kitten. I do love the wild kitten stage, and wouldn't miss it for the world.

I see my original post was poorly worded. I want to choose a kitten that will turn into an affectionate cat.

I have had cats my whole life (I'm close to 50 now). The most loving cat I have ever had was a pure breed Russian Blue I bought from a breeder. I wonder if you improve your chances of getting a good disposition by getting a cat from a breeder or was that just luck?

Elise
I think it's a crap shoot it's just like real children you never know what you are going to get! I have 3 pure breds and a domestic short hair. 2 of my purebreds are very loving and affectionate and my DSH is so affectionate I fear he will kill me someday
I believe he is just so happy we rescued him from the bad bad world!!

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Perhaps get an older kitten? The personality will be more stable at that point.

Smidge was 9 mns or so...and definitely still had that "kitten spirit" in her. She is darling and perfect for me (I let her do the choosing which is why I am convinced we are suited for each other).

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
when we picked out kya from the humane society, she was with a bunch of other kittens, we held each one to kind of test them out. if they let us cradle them in our arms and rub their tummies we figured they would more likely be affectionate. we also did not choose the ones that tried to climb out of our arms back into the cage. anyway she is the most affectionate of all and the only one we got as a baby kitten. the older ones we have/had were described as very affectionate but turned out not to be so much. i think another thing that made kya so affectionate is that my 5 year old has been carrying her around constantly since the day we brought her home and i think it just made her used to being touched and held and petted and stuff. or maybe we just got lucky

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I think it's a crap shoot it's just like real children you never know what you are going to get! I have 3 pure breds and a domestic short hair. 2 of my purebreds are very loving and affectionate and my DSH is so affectionate I fear he will kill me someday
I believe he is just so happy we rescued him from the bad bad world!!
Wel said! lol

Basically, there is no way to know if a kitten will be loving or not. We adopted out a mostly feral kitten & the little guy turned out to be a sweetie! We also adopted out a bottle fed, super friendly kitten that turned out to be very not people friendly or cuddly. Funny thing is, they both went to the same home!

I tell people all the time "The only way to know what a cat's personality is would be to adopt an adult cat whose personality has already developed!".

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Classic nurture vs. nature argument. Does the kitten's personality develop based on its life influences, or is it set to have a particular personality when its born??

I've always believed that both played a role. If you're dead set on a kitten, then spend some time at the shelter playing with them and seeing which ones have loving personalities.

Those that need love most, like those with no mother that have been abandoned at a young age, will often seek out another human mom in their adopter and therefore become very loving. A sick kitten, even though its often discouraged to adopt them, will often be very loving to the person who has nursed it back to health.

Good luck in your search, and I hope you find the perfect cat for you!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest calling local rescues who foster their kittens in homes. I have raised several litters since joining TCS, and all my kittens are held early, and handled by my children. And since I raised them, by 10 weeks when they are being adopted out, I know who is the lovebug of the bunch.

My last two total lovebugs were tamed feral kittens...Blue and Dylan. But many of my kittens born here are lovebugs, too.

So call a rescue, and if they have an especially "good" kitten match for you, ask to speak to the foster Mom. And I suggest getting two. You have no idea how much additional love you will get with two kittens instead of one!

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second what beckiboo said.. The lucky people who get the kittens she fosters..
My most affectionate, although not a complete lap cat is Rocky... Although I wish he got more medical attention as a kitten, I know that his foster home must have been great. The people at the shelter said that he was in a home with a little girl who gave him a lot of attention. He has an extremely sweet disposition and is great with kids.