kitten digs too much in the litter?

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Simon doesn't seem to get the litterbox. He uses it fine, but then he digs REALLY powerfully so it shoots out of the box all over the floor. Sometimes he does this seemingly just to get our attention. Sometimes he seems like he's playing with the litter. How can I get him to stop this? I end up having to sweep the floor 3 or 4 times a day, and it's really loud when we're trying to sleep.

evepie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hhmm..how annoying! i'm having to keep hoovering now a days cause of our girls & the litter...i think the only way to go is to get an enclosed litter tray...

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yup! I was having the same problem with Maui- although I think he did it more just because he likes to play in it

I ended up buying a new litterbox that has a top on it with a door so he can go in there do his business, play all he wants, and not get litter everywhere. It's so nice to not be wasting as much litter anymore

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beccory

My Simon doesn't seem to get the litterbox. He uses it fine, but then he digs REALLY powerfully so it shoots out of the box all over the floor. Sometimes he does this seemingly just to get our attention. Sometimes he seems like he's playing with the litter. How can I get him to stop this? I end up having to sweep the floor 3 or 4 times a day, and it's really loud when we're trying to sleep.
LOL, sounds like my Chynna. She's a real digger and shoveler! She used to shovel out more than 1/2 of the box each time she used it, then I got one of those litter boxes that have extended sides where the top 2" fold over towards the inside of the pan. It's just enough to keep the litter in.

I swear that when she uses the box that she could dig herself to China if it weren't for the hard plastic bottom and the 7 floors of apartments below me, LOL I've learned to tune her digging noise out.

My Abby on the other hand doesn't dig at all. She hops in and does her business and leaps out. She hates getting her paws dirty and God forbid she should dig or cover up what she does. lol

I don't really think that there is anything you can do. That's just your kitty's potty habit.