What does panting mean?

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My new kitten, Simon, has a tendency to pant. I don't just mean when he's hot, and it's not always when he's been playing hard- although it lasts WAY longer when he's playing hard, and he won't STOP playing hard even when he's panting heavily. I know this is bad, so he's going to the vet as soon as I get paid, but I can't help but wonder what exactly this could mean. Cats aren't supposed to pant, right? and HOW can I stop him from playing crazily when he's already panting? He doesn't seem to be hurt by the panting, and he never collapses or anything... do some cats just pant?

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think kittens pant more than adults because they work themselves up so much while playing. They also pant when they are stressed out. My cats pant while going to the vet. Hope pants when she works really hard playing (but has gone away as she has gotten older). Are you sure that some of the times hes not just flehmen? That is common throughout a cats life as they can get a much better sense of the smell through their mouth.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl Phantom pants when she plays are. I haven't seen her do it other times so I don't think much of it. I think its super cute!! I try to let her rest and stop panting before I will play with her more though.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Panting following exertion is normal, esp with kittens, but panting at other times should be investigated by a vet as it could be a symptom of something more serious, eg heart disease.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beccory

My new kitten, Simon, has a tendency to pant. I don't just mean when he's hot, and it's not always when he's been playing hard- although it lasts WAY longer when he's playing hard, and he won't STOP playing hard even when he's panting heavily. I know this is bad, so he's going to the vet as soon as I get paid, but I can't help but wonder what exactly this could mean. Cats aren't supposed to pant, right? and HOW can I stop him from playing crazily when he's already panting? He doesn't seem to be hurt by the panting, and he never collapses or anything... do some cats just pant?
Panting means you need to take your kitty to the vet

Has he been combo-tested ever? If so, it is absolutely necessary he be tested. It's probably nothing, but it could also be FIP or FeLV. Or it could be asthma or allergies. It's really impportant to rule these out while he's otherwise healthy so that it doesn't create a big problem later on.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saki pants when he's stressed out (vet visit) or over exurtion, but normally no cats are not supposed to pant under normal every day circumstances.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My girls rarely pant because they're lazy little couch potatoes. The only one I've seen pant was Buffy (the hot little fitness queen, lol), and that's usually after she's been playing hard or she's taken a walk with me outside on a very hot day.