My little lizard hunters

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my DH came in from outside yesterday a gecko lizard came in with him. Quicker than a speeding bullet, Oliver pounced toward it. Fortunately the lizard was already behind the fridge. I knew it was only a matter of time...

Abouut 1:30 in the morning I heard a crash. I ran into the living room. It was my keys (actually a lot of keys) falling from the table to the floor. Tripod was on the table and Oliver was on the floor about a foot from the lizard, who no longer had a tail.

I lunged at it cupping my hand so I could catch it. I was more shocked than the kitties, I think, that I actually caught it on the first try. Only...now what do I do? I knew I couldn't get out of the locked door with it because I needed 2 hands to unlock the door. I thought awhile with both cats staring at me, just waiting for me to release it.

Then I spotted it... my husbands lunchbox! I slid across the floor trying not to move the hand with the lizard under it. I could barely reach it, but I GOT IT!!! Then I popped the lizard into the lunchbox and zipped it up. I went outside and released the poor little tailless thing and went back in the house.

Oliver and Tripod were staring at me. I looked at them and said THATS why I'm the mommy!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

aww you stole their fun away!
Yeah, I felt bad about that, but the poor lizard...

BTW, my husband slept through the whole episode.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

When my DH came in from outside yesterday a gecko lizard came in with him. Quicker than a speeding bullet, Oliver pounced toward it. Fortunately the lizard was already behind the fridge. I knew it was only a matter of time...

Abouut 1:30 in the morning I heard a crash. I ran into the living room. It was my keys (actually a lot of keys) falling from the table to the floor. Tripod was on the table and Oliver was on the floor about a foot from the lizard, who no longer had a tail.

I lunged at it cupping my hand so I could catch it. I was more shocked than the kitties, I think, that I actually caught it on the first try. Only...now what do I do? I knew I couldn't get out of the locked door with it because I needed 2 hands to unlock the door. I thought awhile with both cats staring at me, just waiting for me to release it.

Then I spotted it... my husbands lunchbox! I slid across the floor trying not to move the hand with the lizard under it. I could barely reach it, but I GOT IT!!! Then I popped the lizard into the lunchbox and zipped it up. I went outside and released the poor little tailless thing and went back in the house.

Oliver and Tripod were staring at me. I looked at them and said THATS why I'm the mommy!!!
That's hysterical! I think you should add "lizard hunting" to your resume now
I'm glad to hear the lizard made it back outside safe and sound (even though it was without a tail...but don't feel bad- sometimes a lizard will shed its tail if it feel threatened. It will grow back
)...You are the official lizard hunter of TCS now

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

That's hysterical! I think you should add "lizard hunting" to your resume now
I'm glad to hear the lizard made it back outside safe and sound (even though it was without a tail...but don't feel bad- sometimes a lizard will shed its tail if it feel threatened. It will grow back
)...You are the official lizard hunter of TCS now
Ok, I changed my title at your suggestion!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happened to us recently. One of the 5-lined skinks we have around got in somehow. My husband caught it and let it outside. It had already lost its tail and was regrowing a new one. We have several that hang out on our patio providing tons of entertainment for the kitties. I figure keeping them alive will make the entertainment last longer. They had fun while it was in the house though!

casa de gato

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's prime time entertainment here.. who can catch the lizard first mom or the cats..

If they see me coming and they have one they run, knowing I will take it off them and release it outside.

We had Geko's in the house for ages but it was only a matter of time. With 4 cats they didn't stand a chance.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

That happened to us recently. One of the 5-lined skinks we have around got in somehow. My husband caught it and let it outside. It had already lost its tail and was regrowing a new one. We have several that hang out on our patio providing tons of entertainment for the kitties. I figure keeping them alive will make the entertainment last longer. They had fun while it was in the house though!
I hope I'm wrong, but I heard that skinks are posionous to cats. They are around here too and I dread one of them coming in. Have your cats actually ever caught one?