Bizzare litterbox ritual

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read of many strange behaviors on this site regarding cats and their litter boxes but have not seen one yet quite like what my cat does but am sure there must be others who experience the same type of bizarre behavior. What happens is that every time I go in to scoop or change the litter box, Persi know this and as I am opening the top of his box, jumps in and starts doing his business. It never fails. What is so baffling is how he can always "go on demand" when he wants, and when he wants is when I am trying to change the litter or scoop out the litter. It seems to be a game he is playing with me. Or perhaps he is trying to show off, or just please me. Actually, this is a pretty good deal because I just wait and let him do his thing and then go ahead with my cleaning and I know it will be clean for a while. Who else has experienced this? What do you think the message is here? I am certainly not complaining here, he ALWAYS uses his box and he ALWAYS comes to use it when he knows I am cleaning it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! That's so cute! My cats don't use it as I'm trying to clean it, but Chynna sits watching me and as soon as I'm done she's the first one in there before Abby can get there.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maui does that too. Last night while I was scooping he hopped in and tried to dig around so I had to relocate him until I was done
I would've let him go to the bathroom but all he wants to do is play in it
He's a big litterbox player anyway- he digs until I can hear his paws squeek against the plastic and he flings litter EVERYWHERE! Sometimes he goes in there just to play and never even uses the bathroom

I think he is always just curious what I am doing and maybe he thinks "hey mom wants to play in the box with me!"

jackiet387

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat seems to think its a sand box or something and that everytime after I clean it or change the litter she must play in it. She also tries to help me when I'm scooping by sticking one paw in it and digging. And after I clean it as I walk out of the room to throw away the bag and come back she has already done her business. For me it's the other way around lol.

shortee8866

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat B'Lou will sit there and watch me, and then jump in an start rolling around like a kid in a sand box. The other weird thing that he does is, I have one of my three litter boxes in my bathroom. It's a smaller one, but it's there for the taking. B'Lou always has to go into the bathroom with me. The funny part is that when I'm going he must feel that he needs to. So...we are both just doing our bussiness. This happens almost every time I'm going. I look down to him, he looks up at me. It's kind of cute.

shadowsoul

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
that's witty of Persi
Oscar also has a peculiar thing when I clean his box, he just knows when it's time, sits beside me, wait for me to finish scooping, then when it's clean, he jumps right in, sometimes he doesn't poop, he just plays with the litter

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually have a waiting line when I change the litter...sometimes Shoops (the ferret) will get in there before the cats!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's too cute!

Yeah, Anya knows my routine too. I wake up, start my bath running, go get a bag to scoop into, and go to scoop her box. She's right beside me almost tripping me the whole time. She doesn't necessarily use the bathroom while I'm scooping it, but she likes to be in there so she knows what's going on! Do you know how hard it is to scoop a litter box with a kitten in there chasing the scooper around???

And if she's not doing that she has pounced on the plastic bag that I scoop into and has run away into a corner with it.
We go through the same thing EVERY morning...

Our kitties...what would we do without their antics?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shortee8866

The funny part is that when I'm going he must feel that he needs to. So...we are both just doing our bussiness. This happens almost every time I'm going. I look down to him, he looks up at me. It's kind of cute.
haha! Abby does that too. I thought it was coincidence at first, but 9/10ths of the time that I'm using the bathroom, she does too, LOL