UK geographical numbers as alternatives to expensive 0870 numbers!

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dodn't know how many UK members know about this but I found this site where you can look up the geographical phone number (01,02,0207 etc) of big companies and use them as an alternative to the expensive 0870 numbers. For example my bank is HSBC and the have an 0845 number for their telephone banking, through this site I found an 01 number alternative. Its still the same telephone banking but much much cheaper to call! I thought I would share this with you guys as it can make a huge difference on your phonebill.

Here is the link:
http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have gotten well used to using the geographical ones as I can't call the 0870 etc numbers since I moved to Canada so now my family all use them because I don't see why we should pay to call the bank with an 0870 number

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly! I mean their is nothing illegal about it, its just something that not a lot of people seem to know about.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a brilliant link, thanks!!. My mobile is free to all UK landlines after 6.p.m and all day on weekends and bank holidays, so when i see a number like that i wait until i'm in the office to ring.

I've made a note of ite here at work as well because we dial a lot of 0845 numbers.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow.... that seems really odd to me that you have to pay to call places over there! They should bend over backwards to make it free for you to call them, like they do here with toll-free 800 or 877 or 888 numbers. I would refuse to call those numbers too!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Wow.... that seems really odd to me that you have to pay to call places over there! They should bend over backwards to make it free for you to call them, like they do here with toll-free 800 or 877 or 888 numbers. I would refuse to call those numbers too!
Thats exactly what I was thinking.

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

That's a brilliant link, thanks!!. My mobile is free to all UK landlines after 6.p.m and all day on weekends and bank holidays, so when i see a number like that i wait until i'm in the office to ring.

I've made a note of ite here at work as well because we dial a lot of 0845 numbers.
No problem just thought I had to share!

Yes I do agree that its really crappy that we have to call these numbers
in the first place and they don't publish these alternatives in the first place! They are talking about getting them scrapped in the "near future" (whatever that means
).

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

They don't get free local calls either!

Some companies do have toll-free but a lot of companies have gone towards premium numbers for extra revenue, but then banks etc also don't charge you a monthly fee for having an account there either so I guess in the end it all works out equal. But if you can save money...

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Thanks for the link, Maria!

That will definitely save a couple of quid on the necessary calls!
No problem! Trying my best to tell as many people as I can as these phone calls really add up. I have had to call the bank quite a few times this month as I have changed my last name to that of my husbands (for convience as it makes me sound less foreign which can get you in trouble these days) and it has made a big difference for me.