Is this normal?

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our new momma cat Misty has kittens that are 4 days old now, she has tried a couple times to take one or two of them out of the box. Do momma cats do that alot? This may seem like a dumb question but do kittens get hiccups? lol
ABK

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ABK

Our new momma cat Misty has kittens that are 4 days old now, she has tried a couple times to take one or two of them out of the box. Do momma cats do that alot?
ABK
ABK...have you ever changed the material inside the box??? The reason I ask is that sometimes mom's will move the healthy kittens away from the sick ones. That way they ensure that the healthy ones do not get sick and die..it's a natural instinct. However if all your kittens seem healthy...it could be that she's not exactly happy with the nesting box anymore. I would change out the materials that are inside the box first.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

ABK...have you ever changed the material inside the box??? The reason I ask is that sometimes mom's will move the healthy kittens away from the sick ones. That way they ensure that the healthy ones do not get sick and die..it's a natural instinct. However if all your kittens seem healthy...it could be that she's not exactly happy with the nesting box anymore. I would change out the materials that are inside the box first.

Katie
Of course I've changed the 'material' inside the box. That would be disgusting and I know easily they can get sick. All the kittens seem fine. I was actually thinking of changing the box to a bigger one, they are going to need it soon.

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, I noticed one kitten looks smaller than the other two and she was the first born. Could it be possible that she's not eating enough?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat started moving her kittens at 4 days too. We just moved, but before we moved I moved her and the babies to my wardrobe and let the mama out every couple hours to eat,drink, and go potty. After a couple days she got comfy and didn't try to move them anymore. Now that we moved I keep her in a large wire crate with a towel over it for privacy. She hasn't tried to move them at all, I gues she feels comfy now. Of course, the babies are now 13 days old, so they are getting a bit too big for her to carry since she is such a tiny cat.
Also, about the "tiny kitten" question. Are the bigger ones males?? I had a litter once where the first kittens born were all female and the last one was a male. Being the "runt", I called him Tiny. Unfortunately, within just a matter of days he was by far the largest kitten in the group. LOL! I kept the name though because it was so funny. Sooo, if they are males than that would explain why they are so big and they other one is so small.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ABK

Also, I noticed one kitten looks smaller than the other two and she was the first born. Could it be possible that she's not eating enough?
Are you weighing them?? Best thing to do is get a scale and weigh them on a weekly basis. I had 3 foster kittens and 2 were always getting to the best nipples.

Kitten Weight
At birth, weight should be approx 3-3.4 ounces.

At age 1 week weight should be approx. 4 ounces.

At age 2 weeks, weight should be approx. 7 ounces.

At age 3 weeks, weight should be approx. 10 ounces.

At age 4 weeks weight should be approx. 13 ounces.

At age 5 weeks, weight should be approximately 1 pound.

By the end of the 8th week, kittens should weigh approximately 2.2 pounds.

Of course, all these weights are approximate. You may have a kitten that is slightly under or over these weights and still be perfectly healthy. If ever you have a concern about your kitten, or he just doesn't seem 'right', consult a vet. On the internet there is a pretty extensive kitty calendar you can use. You can access it here.

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tortie, one of them is a male, and yes he is bigger than the others, and two are female. I'll keep an eye on her and try to get a scale. I think it may be what Katie said, two of them tend to always get the better nipples. Thanks for your help

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ABK

Tortie, one of them is a male, and yes he is bigger than the others, and two are female. I'll keep an eye on her and try to get a scale. I think it may be what Katie said, two of them tend to always get the better nipples. Thanks for your help
It's a fiece competition for nipples..but as long as your girl is gaining weight..she should be ok.

Katie

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

It's a fiece competition for nipples..but as long as your girl is gaining weight..she sould be ok.

Katie
Good to know, thanks again!

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i alway's thought kitten's should double there weight at 1 week after the birth ? mine at 3 week's 1 was already a 1lb and now at 4 week's all are over a pound ( male is bigger by 2.5 oz ) 1 of my female's are much smaller then the other 2 and only just noticing she might be deff gonna get her checked but she is putting on weight just not as quick as the other 2

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope your kitties get nice and fat soon!

Alos, what TNR1 said about it being a fierce competition is 100% correct! I actually videotaped a "nipple fight" between 2 of my kittens whe they were about 2 days old. It was soooo funny! They were visciously(sorry, don't know how to spell it, LOL) attacking each other with their claws! It was like a boxing match. I wish I could figure out hot to get it on my computer. I don't think I have the right cords to hook up my camera, I'll have to get them. I think it could win on America's funniest home videos! LOL!

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Probably, Misty's kittens do the exact same thing to eachother! lol

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah!
Oh, by the way, if you can, clip the tips of thier claws before the eyes open, that way they don't damage each others eyes while "wrestling."
I don't know how they do it! They are really quite tough little buggers! Heehee!

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

Yeah!
Oh, by the way, if you can, clip the tips of thier claws before the eyes open, that way they don't damage each others eyes while "wrestling."
I don't know how they do it! They are really quite tough little buggers! Heehee!
We'll try. Thanks!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No problemo!
I try to help. Also, I just started a new thread call "free advice". I just posted what I've learned with my last litter. Do you plan on giving any of your kittens away?? If so it might help you.

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

No problemo!
I try to help. Also, I just started a new thread call "free advice". I just posted what I've learned with my last litter. Do you plan on giving any of your kittens away?? If so it might help you.
I did read it, although we are not sure if we are giving any kittens away or not. Since there are only 3 we may keep them. We'll see

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, mine only had 3 kittens too. Unfortunately, we just managed to get our cat number back down to 3 (our high point being 7) and my hubby won'ts let me have any more. Not that I will let that stop me from begging to keep one or anything. LOL!

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Just be very careful and only trim off the tips.

Katie
Thanks I know. I have other cats.
Will using cat clippers work on the kittens? Or would it be too big for their tiny nails?