How to know if my Himilayan is pure bred

pearlgem1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the first kitten I have ever bought. I paid a breeder a lot of money($300) for a blue tip Himalayan that was 8 weeks old. She said she hasn't received her papers back yet but I called CFA today and they don't show it in their system. I asked her why her eyes were not blue when I went to look at her. She said she was too young for them to show their color. She is now 12 weeks old and her eyes are a very pale/light green. Should her eye color be fully developed at this age? Is it a defect for their eyes to be green? I hope I haven't been taken!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to say, but it sounds like you've been ripped off. First of all its called a "blue POINT" - not tip (was she advertising it as tip?)?

Second since its a pointed cat, the blue eyes are blue its entire life - they do not change colors - they may vary in blueness (himalayans tend to have a lighter blue color then Siamese). But they should not be any other color other then blue.

Third, NO legit breeder (good ones) allows their kittens to go to new homes before 3-4 months old - certainly not at 8 weeks old.

Fourth, does the cat have any point color right now? I'm willing to bet its a himalayan mixed breed cat. I think I'd call the breeder back and return the kitten and get your money back. Where did you get it from? Internet or newspaper?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ohh hun I'm sorry, you were ripped off... All cats are born with blue eyes, so if a cat is supposed to have blue eyes when they are adult they will defiantely have them when they are born. Maybe not the right shade though. But if he doesn't have blue eyes now he isn't going to get them. Any breeder who makes some excuse for not having any papers is a red flag right from the start.

I am sure she is a great cat though but I would return her and demand your money back. Or else keep her, spay her (which I would hope you are doing anyways) and tell everyone you know to never go to that breeder!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pearlgem1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thx Jen and GoldenKitty for quick response. I found the add in my local newspaper. I called before going to look at her when she told me she had a blue point and looked on the internet for info; she downplayed her eye color when I went to look at her. Her points have darkened last couple of weeks.
We are very attached to her and giving her back to this deceitful woman is not anything I'd wish on her. I called the breeder today and inquired about the papers. I told her I had called CFA; they had her in the system but no record of my kitty. Her response to me was CFA would not have given me that info. She became very defensive when I began telling her about the kitty's (Cassi) eye color still the same as when I bought her. She said she would call CFA today herself and get back with me. Didn't hear back. Is there any recourse to report her to CFA? Can she be made to reimburse me for the fair value of a mixed cat or is it hard to prove?
On the lighter side, she has done very well with us; makes me sad to know she was sold to us too early. She is like a new baby to my finance and myself. We are empty nesters and have spoiled her rotten.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey you everyone has to learn sometime. Now you know to just be careful when dealing out of the paper. Reputable breeders only breed when they have people lined up interested in babies, they do not advertize in the paper. I don't know of anything you can do. What I would do is to just keep hounding her and calling her and calling her until she either does something or confesses that she lied or something. Did you see your kittens parents? Another sign of a good breeder is to offer to show you the parents and their papers. I would just show back up at her house (assuming you went to pick her up) and ask to see the parents papers. See what she has to say.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post a picture of her?

I thought the pointed gene always came with blue eyes, even in moggies... does she perhaps have a tonkinese coloring (mink), with aqua eyes? What color is her body, pure white (or nearly so) or more beige?

I'm sorry you had to go through that, but if you didn't plan on showing her, I wouldn't worry about it. She sounds gorgeous!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I was going to ask you too if you can please post a picture of her? I would love to see her regardless of her breed. I am sure she is a pretty little moggie.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes tonks do have non-blue eye color and perhaps its a mix of tonk and himalayan - a true himi would have blue eyes.

pearlgem1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't figure out how to post picture of my kitty. I have message at bottom of page "you may Not post attachments". I think I've turned everything on on my Profile options. I guess I'm having a 50 something moment.
When I click on insert image, it bring up Script Prompt. No option to select C: drive.

aschretzmeyer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also got my Himalayan kitten at 8 weeks old but this seem's to be a standard age in Australia. As far as I know all pure breed himalayans have blue eyes. We got to see our kitten at 6 weeks of age from the breeder and she even had very blue eyes at that point and as she has grown they still remain the same colour. She was very white when we first got her but now her points are very red in colour. I would definately investigate it further as it's unfair to pay such a high price if it's not a pure breed. Would love to see your photos. I really love Himalayans - I hope you have fun with your kitten. They really have a lovely personality

Here are some pictures of my Himmie - 6 weeks old, 9 weeks old, 6 months and Meeka and I at 8months

Mandy

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful kitten!
Her eyes do look a pale ice blue to me, but those point colors look red, nothing at all close to blue point.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Beautiful kitten!
Her eyes do look a pale ice blue to me, but those point colors look red, nothing at all close to blue point.
Those pictures were not the OP's. It was someone else showing their himmy.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I should have more coffee and pay attention!

Comment still stands though, that's one beautiful kitten.

pearlgem1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully the moderator will have my pictures posted soon. Let me know what you think as far as her breed since she's obviously not pure Himalayan. If the breeder won't talk to civilized about this; think I may take her to small claims court. Anyone know how long it takes to get the papers back once the breeder has mailed them? Casi is 12 weeks old; breeder says it takes a while to get papers but CFA says they don't show in their system where they've been filed.

calicocallie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The nerve of that breeder! I wonder if she's gotten anybody else like that. I hope you are able to work things out.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that is about the cutest little thing I've ever seen!
pure bred or not she is absolutely gorgeous!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks mostly himi - but the eye color is VERY poor - not blue at all. I suspect other persian in the background (himis do have persians in the background) but it might be a case of persian in the past generation or 2 (like one parent a persian (carrying colorpoint) or a grandparent persian).

If you have a persian/colorpoint carrier, its quite possible to have wrong eye color and therefore that kitten would have to be sold as a pet quality ($300 is reasonable).

As far as papers, the breeder may have never even sent in the litter registration. It usually takes no more then 3 weeks turnaround time for CFA to record the litter registration and to return the individual blue slips on each kitten - they are pretty fast considering how many litters are registered monthly. I always got my papers back within 2 weeks
Breeder sounds like she's never sent them in and blaming CFA for the delay.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aschretzmeyer

I also got my Himalayan kitten at 8 weeks old but this seem's to be a standard age in Australia. As far as I know all pure breed himalayans have blue eyes. We got to see our kitten at 6 weeks of age from the breeder and she even had very blue eyes at that point and as she has grown they still remain the same colour. She was very white when we first got her but now her points are very red in colour. I would definately investigate it further as it's unfair to pay such a high price if it's not a pure breed. Would love to see your photos. I really love Himalayans - I hope you have fun with your kitten. They really have a lovely personality

Here are some pictures of my Himmie - 6 weeks old, 9 weeks old, 6 months and Meeka and I at 8months

Mandy
Your kitten is beautiful I had a flame point Himalayan that looked just like yours and he grew to be 18 pounds!!!!!