Chessy back to the vet...

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to take Chessy to the vet a few weeks ago because he was limping. We thought he may have gotten hurt when he slipped climbing from the headboard of our bed to the windowsill, which happened the day we noticed the limping. The vet gave me some anti-inflammatory meds which seemed to help him. Now he isn't limping anymore, but when he sits he will hold his paw up in the air like it hurts. The strange thing is that we have seen him do this with both paws. I have an appointment to take him back to the vet Friday morning. I'm guessing they will do x-rays...I don't know what else. Everything else about him seems fine. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Thanks!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sending Chessy lots of calming vibes.
I hope that Friday, your vet finds out what is going on.

Please keep us updated.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

The strange thing is that we have seen him do this with both paws.
This may not be at all relevant, but I have hypermobility syndrome which means that I regularly sustain minor injuries to my joints (especially knees) doing everyday things. One thing I have noticed is that if I injure one knee, I walk differently while I am limping, and stresses are placed on the uninjured joints leading to pain in places other than the original injury site.

It could just be that if he has injured one leg, he could be compensating and taking more weight on the others in a way he is not used to?

I don't know much about injuries such as this in cats, just speaking from my own personal experience
- and of course the vet is the best person to ask!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Epona, that is really interesting! I will let everyone know what happens at the vet tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: We just got back from the vet, and now I am even more confused. This time the vet found a little scabbing and peeling of Chessy's front right paw pad (the one he has been limping on). She said that this is very unusual since he is an indoor cat and wasn't burned or anything. She thinks that it is either a reaction to the anti-inflammatory (Medicam) that was given to him a few weeks ago for the limping, or some auto-immune disease. She said that she will have to do some research and call me back later today. If it was a reaction to the Medicam, then why would it just be scabbing and peeling on the one paw? He doesn't have any other symptoms, which makes me think (hope) that it's not an auto-immune disease. He could have gotten something at the shelter though. I guess I will wait to see what she says when she calls me.
Well thanks for listening!

(P.S. My husband and I are going to the beach this weekend so I won't be back until Sunday. My mom is coming to check on the cats tomorrow though.)

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has your vet mentioned the possibility of calicivirus? I have heard there is a new strain that causes limping, and calici usually causes ulcers as well.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Has your vet mentioned the possibility of calicivirus? I have heard there is a new strain that causes limping, and calici usually causes ulcers as well.
No she didn't, but I will look into that. Thank you.

The vet is sending me some antibiotics so that his paw won't get infected. She said that the only way to diagnose an auto-immune disease is with a biopsy, and she doesn't think the situation warrants that. So I'm hoping his paw will get better on its own!