Spaying?

dulcydoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(so many questions lol)

So, i am a foster mom to a momma and her 5,almost 7 weeks old, kittens. Well momma is in heat
We have stray cats around the house (3 or 4 males) that have been testing the limits latley (as in comming up and scratching the door, and jumping up and looking in the window) since she has be VERY vocal. We also have 5 people living in our house so the doors are always opening. Do you guys think it would be ok to get her spayed at this time? The kittens are eating, drinking and pottying on their own, but they still nurse a bit at night.
And- Do you think that getting her fixed would calm her down, She attacks all my cats and two dogs. I'm not keeping her and i'd love to keep her untill she finds a home, but not at the risk of her hurting my pets. ya know?
Thanks in advance
Amber

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes yes and yes to all your questions! I think you should get her done now to not risk the chance of her getting pregnant again. Of course you could always abort them but if you can prevent it from happening at all that is best. Plus it could be another week before the vet can get her in.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutly get her spayed ASAP!!! Otherwise, you'll have more babies to care for.Also, spaying does calm them down some.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes...however, you need to speak to a vet about spaying her while she is in heat and still nursing. Some vets will not perform a spay unless the mom is completely dry...others will perform a spay on a lactating female. Best thing is to check around. I would also keep your mom contained in a room that is 2 doors away from the outside.

While you are at it....why not fix your outdoor visitor.

Katie

List of low cost clinics in MD:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#md

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dulcydoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has an appointment for 8am on Wednesday. The men who found her are paying for her operation

We have tried catching the boys outside, They eat the food without setting the trap off. I would love to have them fixed, but there isnt anything i can do untill i can catch them

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DulcyDoll

She has an appointment for 8am on Wednesday. The men who found her are paying for her operation

We have tried catching the boys outside, They eat the food without setting the trap off. I would love to have them fixed, but there isnt anything i can do untill i can catch them
Ah...trap saavy cats. Have you tried any of these recommendations:

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/hardtocatch.htm

Katie