Meow Mix Market Selects have bones in them?

rozinante

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had to get some x-rays done today, and the vet said they found some bones in her stomach. Since the only thing she's been eating for the past few days is the Market Selects, he says that's what they're from and she shouldn't eat them anymore.

I'm just curious if anyone knows if this is true or not, and if she should really stop eating them because of it? (the bones in her stomach weren't what was causing her to have to get an x-ray..)

I know my vets are fairly uninformed and incompetent in certain areas, so I'm just looking for some more justification before I stop feeding her her favorite food.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've found a couple teeny-tiny ones, but they were less than a half inch long and not really bone as they were flexible, maybe a tendon or some cartillage? does your kitty go outside? she might have caught a snack

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that the fish bones in Meow Mix are MUCH smaller and there are less of them than those in the Fancy Feast cans. At first I was concerned about it, but then learned that this is one of the sources of calcium for the cat, so I'm not worried about it.

I would think that they will dissolve in the stomach - I'd only be worried if they were stuck in the esophagus. (sp)

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rozinante

My cat had to get some x-rays done today, and the vet said they found some bones in her stomach. Since the only thing she's been eating for the past few days is the Market Selects, he says that's what they're from and she shouldn't eat them anymore.

I'm just curious if anyone knows if this is true or not, and if she should really stop eating them because of it? (the bones in her stomach weren't what was causing her to have to get an x-ray..)

I know my vets are fairly uninformed and incompetent in certain areas, so I'm just looking for some more justification before I stop feeding her her favorite food.
Mine don't like the Market select, I buy the Meow mix in the pouch no bones that I see in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rozinante

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aah, okay. I've never really noticed them and they've never caused a problem, so I can't imagine why the vet would want us to stop feeding them to her.

No, she's an indoor kitty. Our puppy stepped on her a couple days ago and she has a broken vertebrae, so she's just been laying around, so I know she didn't catch herself a snack.

Whew. I'm glad to hear the vet is wrong. I'd hate to deprive her of a meal she gets so eager about.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rozinante

Aah, okay. I've never really noticed them and they've never caused a problem, so I can't imagine why the vet would want us to stop feeding them to her.

No, she's an indoor kitty. Our puppy stepped on her a couple days ago and she has a broken vertebrae, so she's just been laying around, so I know she didn't catch herself a snack.

Whew. I'm glad to hear the vet is wrong. I'd hate to deprive her of a meal she gets so eager about.
You're pretty likely to find a small bone in most foods I think, just as you're dishing it out kinda go thru it a little, that's what I do. Poor kitty! hope she feels better soon as pays that puppy back

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rozinante

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll probably do that. Just to be on the safe side.

Hehe. I'm sure she's rearing to get the puppy back - I think now that this has happened she's fed up with his clumsiness!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Mine don't like the Market select, I buy the Meow mix in the pouch no bones that I see in it.
I've found all kinds of bones in the meow mix pouches, as well as the Market Select. I won't give it to them until I've picked through it and removed all of them (hopefully). I