The vet said Keiko needs to be PTS after another emergency visit today...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know many of you wonderful folks have been keeping up with my little foster kittens, Kenzie & Keiko. I really appreciate that. As many of you know, Keiko suffered a series of seizures over a week ago and has yet to walk or have control over his bowels since then. I hate to bring such bad news today- but there are no good updates on Keiko...I took him to the vet yet again today in a last ditch effort to try every possible option. I asked him numerous questions including some that I recieved from several folks that pm'd me ideas. The vet said that at this point, little Keiko is too far gone to save.
I talked to the Bartlett Animal Shelter- and everyone up there was really sad aslo. I will be bringing him in tomorrow night to be pts....this is soo devistating. This will be the third foster kitten to pass away in less than a month- this really breaks my heart.
The first kitten came in with Kenzie & Keiko and died less than an hour of him being at my house- he was beaten to the point of death by two terrible boys....they killed his momma also. / Little lex- another ragdoll/ dlh mix i was fostering passed away last week from a horrible seizure...he had been to the vet and we all tried everything possible to save him. Now it looks like Keiko will have to be pts tomorrow- this is really breaking my heart- this is by far the worst aspect of fostering kittens.
At least Kenzie is looking good- at this point, she is keeping me going. Please keep Keiko in your prayers tonight- maybe he will miraculeously walk again tonight....that would be a miracle. At this point he seems to be in pain from his little legs, he can't walk...he can bairly crawl, and he can't even get into his litter pan or control his bowels- it's soo sad....to make things worse- he's eating really well and is very alert- so it's almost like a contridiction. I asked the vet about this and he said even though he looks good alert- wise and everything, he is really not...and he is in a lot of pain from his legs. They won't give him pain meds because it will interfear with the other meds he was on. At this point- several vets have said the humane thing to do would be to have him pts. Please send me some vibes or something for the little guy- i'm devistated and I just don't have the heart to take him to that appointment tomorrow- but i also dont want to watch him continue to suffer. If some of you could spare some ((((please walk soon vibes))))....or some other ones at this point that would be really helpfull. He is in soo much pain right now- i think that it is the only humane option at this point- we've tried everything else and he's been seen by numerous vets. Right now I feel like the worst foster mom ever....

Here is a link to his thread in the Health & Nutrition Forum
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...71#post1333271

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry to hear this. It is indeed sad news. Prayers and thoughts for Keiko and fervent hopes that Kenzie continues to do well.

Were those boys ever punished for their behaviour? I certainly hope so!

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, hon, that's terrible
I'm so sorry! You are a great foster mom, don't ever doubt that! You've done so much for this little guy; I'm sending lots of vibes your way!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You poor thing.. I remember reading about Lex.. and that broke my heart!!! There a special place in heaven for these little kittens and the pain they have to endure!!

I'll be praying for Keiko.. and sending as many vibes as possible....

There still always a glimmer of hope!!!

Heather

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Nikki, I'm so sorry!
Bless you for all you're doing for little Keiko. Sending lots of prayers for both of you.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki, I'm sending all the "walk" vibes I can..........but I'm also with you in spirit if you have to put the sweet little thing to sleep.......it's such a hard thing to do.............
As for the boys that did this to this kitty family, don't get me started on people like that.......

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness, i feel physically sick just reading about that poor kitten being beaten up, not to mention it's poor mum

I'm really sorry about poor Keiko and this must be so hard on you. From the sound of things the poor baby doesn't have a quality of life at the moment

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a very good foster meowmy!! The depth of your love for them is tremendous and you do everything in your power to care for them.

I'm sending major vibes and prayers for a miracle for Keiko. I'm sending comforting vibes to you, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou soo much for all of your support and vibes everyone. I can't tell you how difficult this is for me- so i really appreciate it. I don't know what i'd do sometimes without the sweet people at TCS to talk to.I'm trying to stay positive (i've had a good day except for the things that have gone on with Keiko). Keiko still seems to be going downhill...he seems to be in a good deal of pain. I plan on showering him in tons of love and attention tonight...and I will try to make tonight special for him if it is his last night with me. I'm really hoping he will just miraculiously start walking...but i'm trying to remind myself that there's a good chance he won't so that I can prepare for tomorrow if need be. I can honestly say that his quality of life at the moment seems to be horrible....it's soo sad to watch to. Right now Kenzie is in her playpen running around, playing with her toys and just being a kitten....Keiko on the other hand I just had to change his bedding again because he can't control his bowels...I had to clean his fur off and wrap him back up to keep him warm and put him back in his carrier....it's soo sad to see the comparison between the two. I wish they were both thriving. However, considering what happened to them at such a young age- we are sincerily blessed if even one is florishing (kenzie). As for the previous questions on those boys who hurt the kittens and the momma.....they have yet to be cought. However I will say- my boyfriend is a Bartlett Cop in the city that it occured in- him, as well as the other wonderful cops on that police force have an absolute 0 tolerance for any kind of animal abuse...they work side by side with the animal control in the city of Bartlett- and are always keeping an eye out for things like that. If they catch them- the peole who did this will sincerly be punished for such horrible cruelity to animals. (Did i mention both judges have adopted animals from the bartlett animal shelter
). So needless to say when those people are caught ( and i pray it's not in the act of harming another innocent animal), they will recieve due punishment. Thankyou again for your sweet vibes everyone. I really appreciate them. Loosing 2 kittens in less than a month is hard enough- if I have to add Keiko to that number...I will be devistated. I just hate to watch the little guy suffer though- he deserves better than that. I really think he would be at peace and in no more pain if we had him pts tomorrow...hopefully that won't have to happen though.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is God Bless you for everything that you have done/are doing for these sweet little innocents. I'm also sending "walk" vibes over to him - what a brave little guy!

My thoughts are with you and little Keiko, and I pray that you receive the emotional strength to handle whatever needs to be done.
Major hugs to you - I'm SO sorry that you've had such a difficult month as a foster mom, but these kitties are so VERY lucky to have had you in their little lives!!!!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry that the outlook for Keiko looks bleak - I'll send all the "walk vibes" that I can. But, if it's not to be, at least he knew the love that you gave him during his short life. What you do for the kitties that you foster is wonderful and you clearly love them so much. I feel your pain - please know that my heart is with you, Keiko and Kenzie.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

All I can say is God Bless you for everything that you have done/are doing for these sweet little innocents. I'm also sending "walk" vibes over to him - what a brave little guy!

My thoughts are with you and little Keiko, and I pray that you receive the emotional strength to handle whatever needs to be done.
Major hugs to you - I'm SO sorry that you've had such a difficult month as a foster mom, but these kitties are so VERY lucky to have had you in their little lives!!!!

Thankyou very much for your support! It is definitely the hardest part of being a foster momma- to watch your kittens die or suffer.....but the greatest part is seeing them recover and find wonderful homes while educating others on the importance of responsible ownership- that is why i keep doing it even when things like this happen. It's just really hard to have already lost 2 in one month and to potentially lose Keiko tomorrow. All 4 kittens were very sickly- all had been abused except for Lex. When the shelter gave them to me to foster, they weren't sure any of them would make it at the time they were soo sickly. However, i suppose if only one even makes it, then i've done a decient job- and Kenzie seems to be doing wonderful after everything she's been through. I'm soo greatfull for that! I only wish Keiko was doing as well too- but I strongly believe reguardless of whatever happens tomorrow- God has a plan for everything (sometimes i don't always understand it)....but i know little Keiko was put here for a reason and his young little life will not be lived in vain. Right now he is 1/2 asleep in his carrier- meowing in pain...It's soo sad...
I picked him up a minute ago to hold him, but he seemed like he just wanted to stay in his carrier, so i put him back. Thankyou again for your sweet words and vibes- I really appreciate them right now

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou again everyone for all of your love and support! I really appreciate it at this difficult time.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh darling...you are not a terrible foster momma, sometimes these things are just out of our hands. You have done everything within your power, and more, to see that these beautiful kitties in your care receive everything they need. Most importantly you've given them love, comfort and a safe place to spend their last days. You were a wonderful comfort to me when i was feeling overwhelmed with the tragedies with my fostering, know that we are all here for you, and supporting you however we can. Our hearts break along with yours for your babies, but I keep thinking that God must really want these darlings with him to call them up so soon.

Hugs and all the vibes I have to help you through the rough times ahead.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for giving these poor babies a chance to know some love in their short lives. What you're doing is so hard, and I really admire you for it. I think you must be a wonderful foster mom because you're such a caring person.
Prayers for poor Keiko, may he find some peace, the poor soul.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone- your posts are really helping me out tonight! I just feed Kenzie & Keiko again....Keiko ate a little bit- he didn't want most of it though...so i made him eat a bit and drink some to stay hydrated. It's soo sad too- his little ears were perked up and he was watching tv, but the second you move him he busts out crying and meowing like he's in soo much pain- it's horrible to watch. My poor little guy. I tried to put him on a few different surfaces and let him see his sister hoping that maybe he'd try to walk a bit....no luck, but at least he got to see his sister ( i've been keeping them seperate because of the coccidia & ringworm
). Thankyou once again for the vibes everyone....they are really helping my nerves right about now (it takes a ton to stress me out, but i'm definitely stressed over this.)

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor Keiko.
He's had such a hard life in a short time. If he is in constant pain and will never recover it is probably best that he be pts. I know how hard it is for you and I'm, thinking of you and sending hugs.

You are a wonderful foster mom! You obviously care deeply about what you do and give these kitties the best possible care. You've done everything possible for Keiko. I admire you and everyone out there who cares for these special, sick kitty babies.