How do I stop he before he hurts himself?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jordan has always been a very smart, but very crazy cat. I've been becoming more concerned that if he doesn't chill out he is really going to hurt himself one of these days. For example the other day I threw a toy up for him, he jumped, but was not paying attention & came down & landed folded in half on the back of his neck. I instantly jumped up, thinking he must have hurt himself. He was a little dazed, but seemed fine. I'm torn because I know he loves to jump up in the air at toys, but I'm afraid sometime he really is going to break his neck. Then this morning he was in the closet doing something gooffy & knocked a box out & fell the 7 feet to the floor along with the box. Once again he was fine, but I am really worried that he's going to do some real damage? What if anything can I do?

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a little confused
Did you throw something heavy enough up into the air that it made Jordan a little "dazed" when it came down on him?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I am a little confused
Did you throw something heavy enough up into the air that it made Jordan a little "dazed" when it came down on him?
I think she meant that he landed on his own head when he came down from his jump, apparently cats don't always land on their feet

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I just reread it. That's what I get for posting while answering a phone call at work
Yeah that can be dangerous, I've said what I was typing to the person I was on the phone with

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I think she meant that he landed on his own head when he came down from his jump, apparently cats don't always land on their feet
In Jordan's case he only lands on his feet about 75% of the time. About 15% usually invovles doing flips in the air which leads to landing on one's head. The other 10% invovles rolling off of things trying to get my attention, this usually leads to landing on ones back. I love him and he is very smart, but one thing I've never been able to call him is graceful

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yeah that can be dangerous, I've said what I was typing to the person I was on the phone with
I ALMOST did that the other day!
At least I am not the only one

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

In Jordan's case he only lands on his feet about 75% of the time. About 15% usually invovles doing flips in the air which leads to landing on one's head. The other 10% invovles rolling off of things trying to get my attention, this usually leads to landing on ones back. I love him and he is very smart, but one thing I've never been able to call him is graceful
Silly Jordan! I'm sorry i can't really give you any advice, sounds like you just have a klutzy kitty
My Pandora is not the most graceful either

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Silly Jordan! I'm sorry i can't really give you any advice, sounds like you just have a klutzy kitty
My Pandora is not the most graceful either
I'm afraid he is just a klutzy mainiac, but I do worry about him really hurting himself. He already hurt his hip once. He jumped off the end of the bed (chasing a fuzzy mouse) and got his foot caught between the matress and the foot board. Luckily his foot slipped out preety quickly, but he landed on 3 feet, turrned around hissed & immideatly laid down. He was walking on it about 40 mins later, but I could tell he was being ginger will it for a couple of days. He really scared me the other day because for a split second I was sure he must have broken his neck.

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ohhh, Simon does the same thing. He does his crazy flips in the living room- and sometimes hits the coffee table corner with his back, neck, head... I worry about him, but he never even looks dazed, he just starts jumping at the toy again.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Again last night Jordan either fell or jumped from the top of the closet. I swear he just enjoys the look of fear that comes over my face when he does stupid things.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can think to do is to try to make sure he's getting enough exercise so that he doesn't have the energy to be doing these crazy things! I've learned that Oliver needs a good session of interactive play every day with me or he gets restless and is either too aggressive with Emma, or he gets destructive and knocks over vases, chews the blind cords. He's just evry high energy and needs a good outlet for it. Have you tried either using the "cat dancer" toy with him or playing "fetch"? Oliver loves to play his own version of "fetch": I throw him one of his favorite toys, he carries it back to me and then I throw it again, and again, and again until he's bored.

Other than that, you could limit his access to areas like your closet where you feel he is most in danger of hurting himself!

Good luck: he sounds like a real handful--but adorable, of course!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Again last night Jordan either fell or jumped from the top of the closet. I swear he just enjoys the look of fear that comes over my face when he does stupid things.
I'm sure he does. My Fawn is the crazy one around here. She uses the stairs as a jungle jim, and takes great delight in hanging backwards off the next but top step, over a ten foot drop, with all but the back third of her waving in the air. Many other things I have noticed her or one of the others doing when they were not aware of my presence, but that one -- only when she knows I'm there!
And don't tell me cats don't grin!