How long do cats live, on average?

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A quick Google search brought me to this link: http://www.petplace.com/cats/life-ex...ats/page1.aspx

According to it (and most other resources I've viewed), the average life expectancy for indoor cats is 12-18 years and 4-5 years for outdoor cats. Cats can and do live longer than 18 years (I knew one who was 21 when she passed away, and another poster mentioned their cat was a whopping 27!); the oldest reported cat age, according to this site, was 28, but I vaguely recall another site that mentioned a cat passing away at the age of 34. The average life expectancy would vary depending on availability of good veterinary care and quality cat food; I imagine in countries like England, where it's more common for cats to be indoor/outdoor pets, the life expectancy may be higher for outdoor cats.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

I imagine in countries like England, where it's more common for cats to be indoor/outdoor pets, the life expectancy may be higher for outdoor cats.
So you actually believe that outdoor cats would live longer? That seems to be contrary to most beliefs - why do you think that way?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

I imagine in countries like England, where it's more common for cats to be indoor/outdoor pets, the life expectancy may be higher for outdoor cats.
That's an interesting thought, but I wonder why you might think that - maybe because we don't have nearly as many kinds of dangerous wildlife? Still plenty of other dangers mind you! I knew an indoor/outdoor cat that was at least 20 when he died, and his exact age was not known because he wandered into his new home as an adult stray and they had him for 19 years. Lovely cat, was spoiled rotten and was the friendliest thing ever.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well, I think that indoor/outdoor cats are going to live longer than straight outdoor cats, my sister's cat is 13 years old and has been an indoor/outdoor his whole life, not that I'm a fan of indoor/outdoor by any means, but I think a cat that has a home to go to will live longer than an only outdoor, for some reason when I see that 4-5 year old range I think it refers to strays/ferals

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

So you actually believe that outdoor cats would live longer? That seems to be contrary to most beliefs - why do you think that way?
I think she meant that outdoor cats in countries such as England may live longer than the 4-5 year expectancy of outdoor cats in the U.S. I don't think she meant that outdoor cats would live longer than indoor cats. Is that right?

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

I think she meant that outdoor cats in countries such as England may live longer than the 4-5 year expectancy of outdoor cats in the U.S. I don't think she meant that outdoor cats would live longer than indoor cats. Is that right?
Right! I have absolutely nothing to back this up, of course,
but from the majority of people I've known living in the UK who own cats, their indoor/outdoor cats live to be quite old, whereas the majority of people I know here in Canada who have indoor/outdoor cats, the 4-5 average seems to be spot on. (And the sad thing is, they think that it's perfectly normal for a cat to only live for about five years and see no reason to have indoor-only cats, despite being shown examples of indoor-only cats who live much, much longer.)

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you have to remember about the stats for indoor/outdoor cats is that they are skewed by the number that die in RTAs while very young and before they acquire any road sense. If you removed those that die in their first year of life from the stats, I think you'd find the average age of death for the remainder to be much higher. Certainly over here most people let their cats go outside and while RTAs are far too common, the majority live to a good age - certainly older than 4-5 years.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The oldest cat on record did live to the age of 34. It was a cat named Ma in England. She was put to sleep in 1957.

deni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At one surgery I worked at we had one outdoor cat who lived until she was 23. Prim was the meanest scruffiest long haired cat you ever saw, she suffered from chronic digestive problems and lived in one of the outhouses, one of her companions Sam was 20 when he died. I really do believe that it comes down to the care and love they receive be they inside or outside cats. Obviously outdoor cats live a more precarious existence but like all cats they know where their bread is buttered.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the "ave is 12-15 years" .... My indoor/ outdoor cats of the two RIP were 19.5 and 12 years old/// Kandie is 18 and Zoey is 2.5

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One shelter in our area stated that the average life expectancy of a feral cat here is two years.
The harsh winters and predators take their toll.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our indoor/outdoor cat lived to be 19 and ate nothing but 9 Lives his whole life. He did get hit by a car once and broke his jaw. Frankly, I think if you minus cats getting hit by cars, the life expendency of an outdoor cat would go hugely. For example, I would venture to say that indoor/outdoor barn cats live a lot longer then 4-5 years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, this is interesting, as Villy is 8, maybe 9, and is indoor and outdoor, more indoor than out. I just wish she could live forever!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you calculate life expectancy for outdoor cats you must include death by car, because it is a common way for cats to die. Even if it is mostly in their first year (which I disagree with). If cats die from being hit by cars, it is included in their life expectancy. We can't take heart disease out of human life expectancy calculations! Although you can prevent your cat being hit by a car very easily... keep them indoors!

You can't make statistics based on personal observations.

http://purrfectcatshelter.org:8080/l-expectancy.html
http://www.petplace.com/cats/should-...ide/page1.aspx (at the bottom)

The Humane Society says that free-roaming cats with minimal care have a life expectancy of less than three years, while the average cat, including indoor/outdoor it seems, is 15.

You cannot let your cat outside and think that it does not drastically reduce his life expectancy. You can still choose to do so, of course, but that's one of the things you should be weighing in your decision to let him out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there is a big difference between letting a cat go outside in the uk compared with the US? I only know about the US from what I've seen on here, but it seems much more common in the UK for cat owners to let their cats out, whereas in the US it seems very unusual for a cat to be indoor and outdoor?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jessy I wouldn't say it is more unusual, just more people in the US are against letting their cats outside where in England is is completely common. I have even heard of some shelters in the UK not allowing you to adopt cats from them unless you have a cat flap. I think there are dangers in the US or the UK, maybe some differences in the type of dangers but basically I think the risk is the same.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
England is rabies free and may have a lower risk of FELV or FIP too - which would account for the better health of indoor/outdoor cats.