Health for Cats need help

bettyslp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my kitten (about 6 months old) has dirt under her jaw and around her mouth. I wash this off and it reappears within hours. Now it is appearing around her eyes. This 'dirt' is difficult to remove. My two cats are indoor cats. I use biospot regularly along with Adams flea spray. I am meticulous about flea control and do not have a problem with fleas. Any ideas what this 'dirt' might be?
Thanks so much for any help i might get for my babies!
Send me an email please (am new to this forum and doing my best to learn how to use it

Bright Blessings to all
Betty

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How wierd ?
sounds like flea poo, but as you say you are using flea control and they are indoor cats..............umm...............well best to get her off to the vets I think !
Good luck - Keep us posted

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, Betty, welcome to TCS, to you and your family!
We're very glad you've joined us and hope to see you around more often as you enjoy time here with us! If I may ever assist you in any way, please feel free to contact me at any time. To send me a private message, simply click on my user name (dawnofsierra) in the top left hand corner of my post and select "send private message", or, if you'd prefer, email me at Stephanie @ thecatsite.com

Regarding your question, my first suspicion is feline acne, although, as you know, it isn't possible for us to diagnose this situation. Thank you for coming to us for advise. I would recommend taking your little girl to her Vet for an exam so she can be properly treated to get this cleared up. I would also like to take a moment to add that we must use extreme caution with any flea treatment, spray or otherwise, with our kitties.

I look forward to knowing what you learn at the Vet and the course of treatment that is selected. Please do keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bettyslp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
THANK YOU TO ALL THAT RESPONDED TO MY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DIRT AROUND MY KITTENS MOUTH AND EYES.
Took her to the vet's and it seems she has Chelitis - inflimation of the lips. The perscription is ampicillin and cleansing the area daily. I was soooo pleased that it was not serious and is clearing up fast. He also recommended Frontline Plus rather then the BioSpot which I was using. He also did not find any indication of fleas or ear mites..... I work very hard to keep both my kittens very clean. They were abondened and flea and mite infested when I got them.

Bright Blessings to all
Betty
from Maine

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you figured it out! I was going to comment on your usage of OTC flea treatments. If not immediately then over time those can be potentially fatal to cats. I would stick to the flea medications from the vet and that's it. Advantage, Frontline or Revolution, for an major infestation Capstar would be alright too. But stick with those brands from the vet. No more OTC meds from the pet stores.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS from another Maine person!I'm glad to hear the problem was minor.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can I ask why you need to use flea protection if the cats are indoor only? I have never even thought about fleas since mine does not go out. I imagine if you have dogs that they might bring fleas into the house?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

Can I ask why you need to use flea protection if the cats are indoor only? I have never even thought about fleas since mine does not go out. I imagine if you have dogs that they might bring fleas into the house?
We humans can actually bring fleas in on our clothing so yes you need to be vigilant even though your cats are indoor only.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty acne is caused by using plastic dishes and placemats for your kitties dining. If you use ceramic or glass dishes, and a cloth placemat, you will not have anymore "dirty face" problems.

bettyslp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two kittens, which were strays, were flea infested and had terrible ear mites when they came to me. This is why I used the biospot and adams flea spray along with cleaning the ears and using panalog ointment. So they are both healthy indoor cats now! The doctor complimented me on how well my Francheskia looked at the time I brought her in to be seen - diagnosis, Chelitis - inflimation of the lips.

Once again THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONED!! It really put my mind at ease to know others were interested enough to post a note to me.

Bright Blessings to all
Betty
from Maine

bettyslp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do not use plastic bowls to feed my kittens. The only plastic item they use is the litter box with a plastic mat outside it to collect litter when they come out of it.
Thanks so much for your reply.

Betty

bettyslp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gardenandcats:
It is nice to hear from another Mainer

And thank you for the welcome.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Bright Blessings