Update on stray momma cat's kittens!

barton93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry it has taken me so long to get an update out to everyone. My internet has been down for the last couple of days and someone just came out to fix it today.

Anyway.......as you all know.......my stray momma cat had 6 kittens via c-section on Friday. On Saturday evening, we lost 1 kitten and on Sunday, we lost 2 more
The 3 that died were quite a bit smaller than the others. Momma is doing really well. She is feeling pretty good and is doing a fantastic job with the remaining kitties. 2 of the kittens are pretty big and 1 is smaller. So far they are all doing well. I hope that the small guy thrives. It appears to be doing ok, but I worry about it because it is smaller. The 2 bigger ones are pretty fiesty little devils. They are constantly fighting with each other over which nipple they get. It is pretty funny! They push each other out of the way and everything. The little guy ends up being in the middle of it........poor thing. 1 of the bigger ones is already hissing!!! I love it!

I do have pics, but I'm going to need some help cause I have no idea how to post them on here!!! I'm not very good at this. Thanks!

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about your loss. I just recently read your story. I'm glad Momma is doing so great with the other 3. If she's allowing you around the babies when she's nursing, you could try to hold the little guy on a nipple while he nurses and keep the 2 big boys off "his" milk supply. Either that or maybe bottle feed him? I know someone will have better help/ideas for you then I do. Good luck with all 4 of them!!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by barton93

Sorry it has taken me so long to get an update out to everyone. My internet has been down for the last couple of days and someone just came out to fix it today.

Anyway.......as you all know.......my stray momma cat had 6 kittens via c-section on Friday. On Saturday evening, we lost 1 kitten and on Sunday, we lost 2 more
The 3 that died were quite a bit smaller than the others. Momma is doing really well. She is feeling pretty good and is doing a fantastic job with the remaining kitties. 2 of the kittens are pretty big and 1 is smaller. So far they are all doing well. I hope that the small guy thrives. It appears to be doing ok, but I worry about it because it is smaller. The 2 bigger ones are pretty fiesty little devils. They are constantly fighting with each other over which nipple they get. It is pretty funny! They push each other out of the way and everything. The little guy ends up being in the middle of it........poor thing. 1 of the bigger ones is already hissing!!! I love it!

I do have pics, but I'm going to need some help cause I have no idea how to post them on here!!! I'm not very good at this. Thanks!
S0rry about the 3 that didnt make it. Hopefully the other babies do ok. I can help you with the pics just PM me.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can upload them to a site like photobucket.com and then copy and paste the "IMG" tag into your post. It's easy!

I'm sorry about the little ones... but glad to hear the rest are thriving.

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

The 2 bigger ones are pretty fiesty little devils. They are constantly fighting with each other over which nipple they get. It is pretty funny! They push each other out of the way and everything. The little guy ends up being in the middle of it........poor thing. 1 of the bigger ones is already hissing!!! I love it!
Misty's kittens do the exact same thing. And it is funny. The only male kitten always steals the 'good' nipple first. (The one easiest to get to) He's a lil bugger lol

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Unfortunately....some strays that have been outside having litter after litter just do not have the same resources to provide to their kittens that are born later in the year. I'm so glad that you took her in and are caring for her and her remaining kittens. Hoping the little one continues to make progress.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barton93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Unfortunately....some strays that have been outside having litter after litter just do not have the same resources to provide to their kittens that are born later in the year. I'm so glad that you took her in and are caring for her and her remaining kittens. Hoping the little one continues to make progress.

Katie
I'm really glad that I took her in too! I'm really hoping that she wants to continue to stay with us. She is still friendly, but I know it is way to soon to tell if she is going to stay that way. If not, at least I know that if she leaves, she won't ever be in this predicament again since I had her spayed. I really do like this cat though!!! I'm spending a lot of time with her hoping that'll make a difference.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, probably a safe bet that the dad was black.
(Actually someone will probably come along and tell me the genetics as to why that isn't necessarily so...
)

The babies are soooo cute, and that mama is gorgeous.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess the dad was a black kitty. LOL They are very cute. Mama cat is very pretty too. Is she ok with you messing with the babies?

barton93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would guess that the father is black too. She has been fine with me touching the kitties. Maybe she is comfortable with it since me and my kids took care of them for the first day. Maybe she senses that we care for her babies. I pet them all constantly. She is fine with it. When I come into the bedroom, she immediately starts purring. When she comes out of the bedroom for some water, she comes up to me before she goes back to her babies and nudges my hand to pet her. So, I think she is pretty comfortable with me. I hope that lasts cause I really like her. My plan is to keep her here as long as she'll have us. I did spend a lot of money on her between the c-section and the spaying. Irregardless of that though, I really do like her alot. Hopefully she senses that.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they are all definitely gorgeous kitties........maybe you could keep them all!?

barton93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

they are all definitely gorgeous kitties........maybe you could keep them all!?
LOL.........I wouldn't mind keeping them, but I think my hubby would have something to say about that. He likes cats, but he doesn't want a zoo. I'm going to try to con him into keeping 1 of them..........then maybe if he says ok.......I begin working on #2, so on and so forth!!!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, I would guess that the father is black too. She has been fine with me touching the kitties. Maybe she is comfortable with it since me and my kids took care of them for the first day. Maybe she senses that we care for her babies. I pet them all constantly. She is fine with it. When I come into the bedroom, she immediately starts purring. When she comes out of the bedroom for some water, she comes up to me before she goes back to her babies and nudges my hand to pet her. So, I think she is pretty comfortable with me. I hope that lasts cause I really like her. My plan is to keep her here as long as she'll have us. I did spend a lot of money on her between the c-section and the spaying. Irregardless of that though, I really do like her alot. Hopefully she senses that.
Sounds like she's pretty happy with you. For some reason I was thinking she was feral. I guess not if she is so friendly!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LOL.........I wouldn't mind keeping them, but I think my hubby would have something to say about that. He likes cats, but he doesn't want a zoo. I'm going to try to con him into keeping 1 of them..........then maybe if he says ok.......I begin working on #2, so on and so forth!!!
Well even if your hubby doesnt let you keep more then one. It will be much easier to find a home for 2 kittens. You know kittens should go in pairs.

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Misty is like that too. Which kind of surprised me cause I thought cats would be more 'mean' and protective of the kittens. But it's nice that she trusts us. The kittens are very cute too btw!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

Sounds like she's pretty happy with you. For some reason I was thinking she was feral. I guess not if she is so friendly!
She's a stray....and it helps that she has been spayed as part of the c section.

Katie

barton93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

At this point, I still don't know whether or not she is feral. I'm guessing that because she recently gave birth and now that she is nursing that her hormones are still out of whack, and that once her hormones return to pre-pregnancy levels that her temperment could change. I hope not. I hope she continues to be this friendly.