His eyes are wierd

bengalsmum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, my cat Simba's eyes seem to have gone sort of cloudy over the last week, when i look closely its like a thin layer of black half covering his eyes, but i never noticed this before.He is a bengal cat and his eyes are normally a brilliant green colour but now just seem very dark but they are not runny....so im not sure if theres a problem as im not getting a chance to look at them for very long as he escapes me.

Any idea's what it could be? thanks Nikki

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have a third eyelid. If it is showing, the cat is sick.

Please call your vet and bring the cat in for a checkup. I hope Simba is better soon.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please have your kitty checked out by a vet. It could be a number of things. We cannot make a diagonsis on TCS as we are not vets, but your vet can give you a definite answer....it really could be a number of things: Feline Herpes- (which can start out in the eyes or nose and spread into an upper respiratory infection- those are not pretty, and at that age they can be fatal.), allergies,an infection, Ringworm or Mange that has spread into the eye, an Nictating membrane from illness or stress, the list could go on and on
....The eyes do not have to be runny to have something wrong with them. The only real way to know what the kitty has is to have it checked out by a vet. Keep us posted! I hope your kitty starts to feel better soon.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have learned never to take anything with eyes as less than potentially very serious. I've not seen exactly what you describe, but I have seen an eye have the cornea change color (Tyler, when he developed uveitis went from being green eyed to totally orange with floating bits one could see), have seen ulcer's and lacerations. All of these required quick and specific care guided by my vet and usually a veterinary opthamologist consult.

Please keep us posted, I would truly get him in asap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalsmum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi thankyou for your replies, i have him booked in for tomorow evening at vets so ill post back then when i know if he's alright.
Its an expensive do going to the vets isnt it, so i thought i wouldd post on here first but as the eyes are so delicate your right i should get him checked out.
thanks again

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck.. Hope all goes well. My rocky has eye problems that he aquired before I got him so I'm glad you are getting it checked before it gets worse.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear he's getting checked out tomorrow
. Hopefully your vet will be able to give you an answer and the proper coruse of treatment! Keep us posted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalsmum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well we went to the vets and he has an eye infection and his glands are swollen and he had a slight temp so he's not well.
They gave him and antibiotic injection and some eye drops for him, for me to put in twice day....they said there that he should be looking better by monday i really hope so, hes been meowing alot which isnt like him at all and hes been off his food.
He just looks so sad...
bless him.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalsmum

Well we went to the vets and he has an eye infection and his glands are swollen and he had a slight temp so he's not well.
They gave him and antibiotic injection and some eye drops for him, for me to put in twice day....they said there that he should be looking better by monday i really hope so, hes been meowing alot which isnt like him at all and hes been off his food.
He just looks so sad...
bless him.
Glad you took him in, hope he feels much better very soon.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalsmum

He just looks so sad...
bless him.
Poor baby! Hope he feels better soon.

You must make sure he eats though - it's very important. Heat his food a bit to make it smell stronger if necessary, but try to get him to eat.