Am I too young to hate birthdays???

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is hubby's birthday, and since I was born right behind him......that means my birthday is not far behind. In a way we are very much like twins.

I feel old and sad. I know for most people turning 23 is not a big deal, but both hubby and I were disappointed at how little we managed to achieve in 23 years. It seems that 23 years is such a long time to be alive and just accomplish anything really important.

I hate birthdays. I wish I could just stop time until I can finish up what I need to do (especially research) and keep up with everybody around me.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My birthday is on thursday and i am hating it too!
I turn 20, and feel like i havent accomplished much!
I often tell people i feel old, but i know i am not!
then my bf makes jokes like "omg look at that wrinkle coming along"

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will be 29 in a little more than 2 months and while my life is no where near where I thought it would be at this point, every year is a new adventure! 23 is still very young, you've only been an "adult" for 5 years, you've got a long long time to accomplish your goals, don't forget, most people live well into their 80s nowadays

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I love birthdays
and always have ! I always used to count down from about, say 12 weeks, I was that excited............its funny cos you mention not achieving anything............but this didnt cross my mind in my 20s or even now

Is somebody or something putting you under pressure ?
Its a shame you hate birthdays
and I bet theres loads of things that you have achieved, you know, like meeting different people, travelling, learning a new skill, making a new friend, becoming an aunt or God-Parent.........come-on have a think and let us know !

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Whenever I get any thoughts like that, I think about my sister-in-law that has terminal cancer. She has no idea when it will return or when the end will be. It could tomorrow, or it could be 5 years from now. Other than when she went through her first round of chemotherapy, she has not allowed it to slow her down. When you think about people like her, it puts things into perspective. It's the little things that are important, not keeping up with others, or what you can put on a resume.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you have to be grateful those birthdays keep coming, because the alternative is not good. My husband died @ 42 in 1996( I was 31 years old) that may seem old to you now but it's not, his younger sister died a few months ago @ the age of 45. So their parents have lost 2 of their 4 children within 10 years. My husband now, lost his first wife to cancer @ the age of 43 so in our house we are so grateful for the next birthday. So I don't want to preach to you because I felt the same way at your age...but life is so precious, be grateful for everyday, every birthday, every memory etc. My good friend just lost her 25 year old cousin in a plane crash that's pretty darn close to your age and it's really scary.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh with me staring the big 50 next year. I too sometimes think of people my age and what they have accomplished (katie Couric is 49). But then there are people my age who haven't done as much as me so it evens out!!!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't particularly liked my birthday from the time I was about 8, but that's because my birthday parties always ended up being horrible!
So I've just never made a big deal about mine - heck, I've moved twice in my life ON my birthday, and that just plain stinks.

I didn't get that thought of "what have I accomplished?" until I hit 27, because it was close to 30 and I thought I should be officially "grown up" by 30.
I hadn't bought a car on my own; I was still renting an apartment; and we weren't married yet. Well, now it's 7 years later and we got married, got the new car (PT Cruiser last year
) and we just moved into our first owned home (a townhome).
So perhaps asking that question will spurn you on to better things to come!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I stopped appreciateing birthdays after 17 .. but then I learned I likely wont see 50 so they are all good

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love birthdays!!! Each birthday is another milestone for me... My boyfriend turned 30 and I turned 21 on our birthday (july 29- we have the same b-day)....to me, each new year stands for another year of life and love that i've been blessed with. It means i've had another year with my family, another year to watch my nieces and nephews & great nieces grow and develop a sense of who they are, another year to help out abused and needy animals and foster them, another year with the man I love, another year to rejoice that I wasn't killed, or anything like that, and another new year to make a difference. Bithdays are all about how they look at them. I'm sure you have lots to be greatful for! You have your degree, a wonderful husband, and sweet kitties just to name a few!!!! Keep your chin up- you just have to change how you look at birthdays in a more positive way. You should maybe make a list each day of things you're greatful for- even if you have the worst day( you still per say...have a roof over your head, food in your stomach, and clothes on your back- things many people do not have)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mother and Grandmother taught me how to age. I now look forward to wrinkles and crows feet around my eyes, because they are signs of wisdom and strength. Birthdays to me, mark my passing from a young girl to wonderful older woman. I look forward to them passing every year.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

My Mother and Grandmother taught me how to age. I now look forward to wrinkles and crows feet around my eyes, because they are signs of wisdom and strength. Birthdays to me, mark my passing from a young girl to wonderful older woman. I look forward to them passing every year.
I agree