The Vibes are working! But I still need them for tomorrow!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A BIG "Thank you!" to everyone who offered me vibes and advice for smooth sailing in this audition! I've been getting a lot done in the past few days!!!!

I just need the last few vibes to carry me through tomorrow and ensure that I can keep it together during these 10 minutes of intense pressure and that I reclaim my spot in the top ensemble!

These vibes are gold. If we could package them and sell them on eBay, we'd all be millionaires!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hugs, vibes, and purrs.

And when you're rich & famous, you owe us a ticket to come see you play, LOL.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha! I'm doing a benefit for Tree House this year...proceeds benefit the kitties and the starving musician! (but mostly the kitties) I'm more in applied education (that is, not K-12 school programs...which are indispensable, but just not my strength or main interest) and outreach...so not really the arena that will make me "famous", but rather the arean that will allow me to work most directly those who want to have their lives touched by art music.

And do you know what she has us playing? In Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe Suite No. 2 (Which I HIGHLY recommend to those of you who are interested in classical music but may not have heard much) right AFTER that GINORMOUS flute solo! The quick part with all the excessively fast up and down running notes...only we're playing both the 1st and 2nd flute parts because it is supposed to dovetail...but MAN! It's HARD!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah...the Ravel I least anticipate is the piano concerto. It has us going to some horrible note like a high g. Our symphony has a concerto competition every year and I always play principal for that one. I live in fear that one day the piano competition winner will want to do Ravel!

Another fun one is Le Tombeau de Couperin - but I'm not an oboe player so I don't have to worry about that one.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Allie, I listened to samples of that piece on Barnes & Noble, and WOW! That is a very complex piece of music! I'm impressed!!!

Sending lots of calming vibes to you to get you through the audition - and remember - Think like a cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Allie, I listened to samples of that piece on Barnes & Noble, and WOW! That is a very complex piece of music! I'm impressed!!!

Sending lots of calming vibes to you to get you through the audition - and remember - Think like a cat!
The rest of the audition rep are selections from teh following:
-Igor Stravinsky "Firebird Suite (1919)" - Variation l'oiseau de feu
-Prokofiev - Symphony No. 1 in D Major "Classical" - flute solo from movement 4
-3 from Ravel's Daphnis...including the opening groups of 12, the part after teh flute solo and the very end where it gets all fast and chromatic.
-the first movement of Carl Nielsen's flute concerto (the flute solo part, obviously, nothing from the orchestra)

If you want some GOOD classical music, here are some of my all-time favorites:
I'm really into new music, and these are probably for the more adventurous people out there....
-Steve Reich- Different Trains or Electric Counterpoint
-George Crumb- Vox Balanae for 3 masked players OR Eleven Echoes of Autmn OR Idyll for the Misbegotten
-Any of Elliott Carter's string trios
-Colquhoun- Charanga
-Oliver Messaien- Quartet fot the End of Time or Le Merle Noir
-Arnold Schoenberg- Pierrot Lunaire
-Alban berg- Violin Concerto
-Berio- Sinfonia, specifically the 3rd movement and the Sequenza for solo flute

"Normal" orchestra works that might not be popular with general public:
-Bartok- violin concerto no. 2, concerto for orchestra, hungarian sketched, music for strings percussion and celeste
-Ravel- Daphnis et Chloe, Piano trio in a, gaspard de le nuit, tzigane
-Stravinsky- The Firebird Suite, Petrushka, The Rite of Spring (which is possibly my all time favorite piece of orchestral music)
Prokofiev- Syphony No. 5, Romeo and Juliet, Flute Sonata
Shostakovich-both piano trios, symphonies 5 and 9, cello concerto
Beethoven- Symphony no. 7
Mendelssohn- Symphony No. 4, piano trio
Gorecki- Symphony No. 3
Dvorak- Cello concerto, symphony no. 8
Schumann- cello concerto
Brahms- Symphony 4, double concerto (cello and violin)
Sibelius- Violin concerto

The Shubert Symphonies 1 and 2 are also good...kind of like 'easy listening' for people new to classical music

But the stuff on my list ain't Pachbel's canon in d