Hey Just got a new cat

zoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey,
I just got a new cat. I wanted abit of advice on a few things. First off his move from his old house was abit stressfull, 2-3 hour drive. When we came to my house he went into hiding straightaway. I tried to block a few hiding places like behind the sofa. Anyway last night i think he started to relax. He came onto the sofa with me and then when i switched the lights off we roam the house for a good hour. I thought he was ok so i went to sleep as it was 4am. Anyway in the moring around 8.30ish i woke up to find him upstairs hiding under the arm chair. Once i got him out he seemed ok but now hes hiding again.

Also this is his recent vet des from 31-08-06
Cytitis, Stranguria/Haematuria Quite a Timied, Sensitive, Overweight, Sedentary car so appears quite predisposed. Discussed Causes Etc.
Thinking of Re Homeing him, have new dog this week so expect was the trigger:
Amoxypen LA Injection
Inject Dexafort
RCW urinary Chk felince WET 48x100

Can anyone shed abit more light and explain it to me please I am quite worried about it. Thanks

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You just got a dog? And you wonder why your new kitten, with a whole list of problems according to the vet, is hiding? You have to somehow arrange for the dog and cat to have separate places - the cat has to feel safe and know the dog won't be in her face, space, at any time, or she'll be afraid to sleep, play, anything at all! Maybe when she's older and really established there, and well physically, you could reintroduce them, but right now you've made her life a very scary, stressful place! What is stranguria? Do you mean a strangulated hernia? That seems unlikely as it's a normally a reason for emergency surgery (yet your cat is at home)? Hematuria means blood (tiny flecks you may not be able to see without a microscope) in the urine, possibly from uric acid crystals, another reason to need a vet's care, and probably what he meant by cystitis, and probably why she's taking amoxypen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

You just got a dog? And you wonder why your new kitten, with a whole list of problems according to the vet, is hiding? You have to somehow arrange for the dog and cat to have separate places - the cat has to feel safe and know the dog won't be in her face, space, at any time, or she'll be afraid to sleep, play, anything at all! Maybe when she's older and really established there, and well physically, you could reintroduce them, but right now you've made her life a very scary, stressful place! What is stranguria? Do you mean a strangulated hernia? That seems unlikely as it's a normally a reason for emergency surgery (yet your cat is at home)? Hematuria means blood (tiny flecks you may not be able to see without a microscope) in the urine, possibly from uric acid crystals, another reason to need a vet's care, and probably what he meant by cystitis, and probably why she's taking amoxypen.
Hi,
Sorry i probably didnt explain well enough. I only got him yesterday. the previous owner had a dog. He is 17mnths old, he is starting to relax alittle now, bet he is glad to haven gotten away from the dog. The previous owners gave me this vet report i showed above, i dont know what Stranguria is, but thats exactly what it says on the vet report, letter for letter.
Ive just been reading about FLUTD and the symptons are the same he has, he is visting the litterbox quite often with only abit of urinating, just a tiny bit and he also keeps licking his private parts alot after urinating. i think im going to take him to the vet tommorow though im scared to stress him out as he is only just calming down! DO you know if he need more amoxypen and if thats because the move stressed him out again?

Thanks for the reply!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's normal for kitties to hide in new situations. If he's had a stressful time in his previous home, it may take him longer to get comfortable in your home. Add to it that he's not feeling well and it's no wonder he's stressed, poor thing!

Most definitely, take him to the vet. Not only will you get additional medication for him, your vet can give him a good look over and get acquainted with him. I would invest in some Feliway plug ins to help reduce your kitty's stress level.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he should definitely been seen by the vet, and certainly no one on an internet forum far away can say that he should have medicine or not.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoki

Hi,
Sorry i probably didnt explain well enough. I only got him yesterday. the previous owner had a dog. He is 17mnths old, he is starting to relax alittle now, bet he is glad to haven gotten away from the dog. The previous owners gave me this vet report i showed above, i dont know what Stranguria is, but thats exactly what it says on the vet report, letter for letter.
Ive just been reading about FLUTD and the symptons are the same he has, he is visting the litterbox quite often with only abit of urinating, just a tiny bit and he also keeps licking his private parts alot after urinating. i think im going to take him to the vet tommorow though im scared to stress him out as he is only just calming down! DO you know if he need more amoxypen and if thats because the move stressed him out again?

Thanks for the reply!!
Stranguria, from what I just read, is frequent, painful urination. It often goes along with cystitis (which is the inflammation of the bladder). Haem I would strongly suggest getting your kitty to a vet. It's always a good idea for new kitties to be checked out by the vet, but especially if they are potentially ill. Cystitis can be caused by crystals or stone, or it can be idiopathic. If it is caused by crystals or stones, there is a possibility that your kitty could develop a blockage. Keep a close eye on him until you can get him to the vet (hopefully tomorrow!). If you notice him trying to pee but unable to do so, it is an emergency, and he will need to see an emergency vet immediately.

Hopefully, that won't happen. I wouldn't worry too much about the vet visit stressing him out. It is better to have him treated for his medical problem. Once you get home, give him a little space. He'll probably want to hide under the bed some more. After a while, he'll probably get lonely and come looking for company.
I wish you good luck with your new kitty, and I hope he gets well soon. What's his name by the way?

zoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies and support

His name is Maki, well he used to be called Joey but i wanted him to be called Maki, he responds now when i call him by his new name.

Yesterday he really settled in and we explored the house together again, here is a couple of pictures from yday:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Zoki_/DSC00110.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Zoki_/DSC00112.jpg

Anyway i took him to the vet today. It went well, ive got a vet around 5mins from my house. SO i got him into his carrier by putting some Food in there. The vet gave him a M1s Dexadreson Injection of 1mg/ml. Also he got some Cystease caps and some new food called Urinary Tract Feline. Also he has a re visit in 2 days and i have to get a urine sample, which seems is going to be hard!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like things are going pretty well.

I would just suggest that you don't force her out from hiding. Just sit near her and talk gently to her. Let her come to you when she is ready and that will give her a better sense of security. Forcing her out of hiding when she is nervous will do more harm than good in your relationship with her.

zoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

How in the world do you get a cat to give you a urine sample?
LOL

Yea I thought that too, but the vet explained i should empty the litterbox and take a sample with the syringe off the plastic, that is if he does urinate in a litterbox without litter!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also use the rocks used in aquariums in the litterbox. Just rinse them with some distilled water and let them dry. Put them in the box, just a small layer, and then after he urinates, you'll be able to use the syringe to collect your sample. You can store it in the fridge in a closed container if you're not right off to the vet's with it. Be sure to label it!!!

The last time I was at the vet's they gave me this special kind of stuff to put in the box. The little bead-looking things were black plastic and wouldn't absorb the urine. My cat still didn't use the box! She held it all night long, not even going at her normal 5:30 am potty time!
I eventually had to take her to the vet and have them collect the sample.

Good luck!

Stephanie

zoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, i think ill empty the box and try that first. Btw when i empty the box there is some very fine sand from the litter, should i clean that off too?
OR will the vet be able to see the difference between stones and crystals and abit of litter sand. Also if he does have stones or crystals what is the usual treatment and is it expensive?

Iam so worried about HIM

Thanks...

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wipe out the box as much as possible. Or, you can leave the litter in the box and cover it with a large plastic bag (if your cat isn't afraid of plastic!). The idea is that it still feels like there is litter under their feet, and they can still dig a little without actually reaching the litter. Once they pee on the plastic, you can use the syringe to scoop it up. Since the vet's office is near your house, you may want to drop it off right away rather than refrigerate it until your appointment. The fresher the sample, the better.

If you find he does have crystals, the vet will almost certainly put him on a special prescription food. There are a couple of different companies that make these food, including Hill's Science Diet, Waltham's/IVD, and Royal Canin. The food are more expensive than normal cat food, but they are necessary, at least initially, to dissolve the crystals.

The vet may also prescribe an antibiotic in case the crystals have resulted in an infection as well. The other, very important thing is to encourage your cat to drink more water. Drinking more will dilute the urine more and the crystals will be less of a problem. There are some articles here on how to increase your cat's water intake. One of the easiest ways, if you can afford it, is to get a pet water fountain. Another way is to place water containers of different sizes and shapes throughout your house (one of mine won't drink water from a regular bowl).

Good luck and keep us updated!

zoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wooohooo

Got a nice urine sample. Now a quick question is how much are cats meant to urinate on average because this certainly wasnt a drool like Maki did before. I got at least 2.5ml into a closed container. He must have urinated atleast that plus another 2.5 is my guess so atleast 5ml. Is that normal or less

zoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Cloud shade,

i wipe it well before he did urinate. Unfortunatley its 21:39 here so i cant take it to the vet before 4.15 tommorow. It is in the fridge near the back so it is very cold!

I will defintely get a water fountain asap when money is alittle less tight. any particular water fountain you suggest?

zoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey again.

I went to the vet again today and got the urine sample checked out. Good thing is his acid levels are ok and there is no blood in his urine. However he does have alot of crystals

No more dry for Maki, he has to start eating some special diets for the crystals. He also gave him antibiotics, which im am meant to give him orally. Should be a tough one. Oh yea he is also 6 months Flee free and Worm free from injection and spot on.

The Vet said that a fountain prob wont increase his water intake, but ill buy one anyway soon as i get some money, seeing as i just spent £115 on him today!