martial arts / physical activities

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I am looking at my neighborhood's listing of activities and I would like to sign up for a physical activity. I am looking for something that will help me relax and/or release some energy.

The only thing I tried before was aerobics and I didn't like it. I just couldn't follow (not because I was out of shape but because I don't have good coordination). I guess improving my coordination could be a good goal too.

The activities I am considering so far are Power Yoga, Karate and Taekwondo. I'm still not 100% sure what these actually imply. I mean... I kind of know what Karate is (I've seen some Karate Kid movies when I was a kid
) but I'm not sure what the difference is between Karate and Taekwondo.
Also, I kind of know what Yoga is... but what's Power Yoga? I'm assuming that's a more "active" form of Yoga... right?

There's also Yoga, Pilates, Judo and Taebo offered.

So much choice...
Anyone ever tried any of these activities? Opinions?

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Marie, I do Tae Kwon Do. I started a thread about it a while ago and there are a few people here who also do a martial art so they may be able to advise you on different ones.
I find it to be excellent for your fitness level, flexibility, self control, confidence and also you make some great friends.
It can be such hard going at times and the higher you get the harder you are worked but it really is a great martial art.
Whereas some martial arts focus mainly on hand techniques or kicks, Tae Kwon Do uses both so if you are looking for a work out you will definately get one!
You will also have to learn your moves in Korean but you get a lot of help with that.
Its good to know, when you are walking around as a lone female, you have knowledge others don't and if someone were to attack you, you have 1 up on them.
It has certainly helped me out before now and I know it probably will in the future.
I'm interested to see what other people say about their martial arts though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pombina

Marie, I do Tae Kwon Do. I started a thread about it a while ago and there are a few people here who also do a martial art so they may be able to advise you on different ones.
I find it to be excellent for your fitness level, flexibility, self control, confidence and also you make some great friends.
It can be such hard going at times and the higher you get the harder you are worked but it really is a great martial art.
Whereas some martial arts focus mainly on hand techniques or kicks, Tae Kwon Do uses both so if you are looking for a work out you will definately get one!
You will also have to learn your moves in Korean but you get a lot of help with that.
Its good to know, when you are walking around as a lone female, you have knowledge others don't and if someone were to attack you, you have 1 up on them.
It has certainly helped me out before now and I know it probably will in the future.
I'm interested to see what other people say about their martial arts though.
Thanks! That does sound like a good option.
I understand there are different types of Tae Kwon Do. The classes offered at my local sports center are :censor::censor::censor:. Is that the same type you are doing? Is there a big difference between the different types of Tae Kwon Do?

kamadoma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to do Taekwondo but it was several months ago probably due to my instructor who keeps telling to take promotion test which I feel isn't time for me to take yet. It seems TKD here in PI is mainly focused on competition which I don't find interesting that much, since I'm after the physical training aspect to make me physically fit.

As far as i know the :censor::censor::censor: World TKD Federation uses the instep of a foot to kick, while ITF uses the ball to kick with. TKD and martial arts give people great physical and mental well-being, discipline. As far as I know TKD is a foot-hand style but nowadays it's more known for its kicks, while Karate is more on foot-hand style. Judo is very good too. I mean, martial arts are good for people, it all depends on one's self-discipline and aptitude for the art. As for myself I don't see doing any TKD in our gym to avoid getting told to take promotion tests, I'd rather train myself at home with some workout.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks.
Tae Kwon Do does seem really interesting. My only reservation is that the classes are given 3 times a week and I would only be able to go twice.
I just found out that the university also offers some martial arts courses for a reasonable price and they fit better into my schedule. There, I could take kickboxing instead. They also offer Capoeira, which seems pretty interesting, but I don't think I'd be very good at it. From the descriptions I found so far, it combines martial arts and dance... and I really cannot dance.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

Thanks.
Tae Kwon Do does seem really interesting. My only reservation is that the classes are given 3 times a week and I would only be able to go twice.
I just found out that the university also offers some martial arts courses for a reasonable price and they fit better into my schedule. There, I could take kickboxing instead. They also offer Capoeira, which seems pretty interesting, but I don't think I'd be very good at it. From the descriptions I found so far, it combines martial arts and dance... and I really cannot dance.
I've done Yoga on a daily basis for three or four years now, and it's wonderful. If you start in a beginnerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s class with a good instructor they should take you through all of the poses. It's not that hard, and it's a wonderful workout.