momma refuses to teach them litter box skills!!!!

missy'smomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put a litter box with kitten safe litter in it in the bathtub with them.....She will not use it and pooped in the sink today....help what do I do????

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Missy'smomma

I put a litter box with kitten safe litter in it in the bathtub with them.....She will not use it and pooped in the sink today....help what do I do????
Is there another location you put the litterbox?? What I did was have mom's litterbox in the room with her and the kittens the whole time....where has her litterbox been previously?? What type of litter did you use?? Even though I had my mom's litterbox in the room...it was on the other side of the room..so she didn't feel it was too close to them.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missy'smomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok so they are using the litter box....just no poop yet....is this normal?? we just started wet food this weekend...I know kind of late but they are all doing well!!

missy'smomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

What type of litter did you use??
Katie
I am using a wheat litter....totally kitten safe....which is goood cause they tried to eat it
Mom does not seem too thrilled about it, which might be a problem

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Missy'smomma

I am using a wheat litter....totally kitten safe....which is goood cause they tried to eat it
Mom does not seem too thrilled about it, which might be a problem
Are you sure it's the mom who is pooping in the sink?? I ask because I did in fact have a couple of fosters who pooped in my bathtub but mom was a fatidious litterbox user. If you find that they aren't using the litterbox...you may want to confine them to a crate....that is what I did with the two that used the bathtub and it worked. Within a few days...they were using the litterbox regularly.

Katie

kittensunlimite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
there are alot of different litters that you can get.. but in most there is an ingrediant that makes them want to go to the batheroom in it. most "kitten safe" litter does not have this ingrediant... look for some with this that is kitten safe.

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our kittens turned 5 weeks yesterday. I have 3 litterbixes in the room and have seen all 3 use it, though they still pee in other places as well. I guess it is a start, right? They have been using it for about a week now. One of them really likes to eat the litter, which is a mixture of pine (which mom hates!) and clay (non clumping). I am guessing that they are probably using it about 75% of the time.
As for food, there is only one who will eat wet food, one who has tried the dry food, and I haven't seen the third one eating at all, just nursing.
So I am hoping that they are on the right track and that they will get it right pretty soon!

Should I be giving them kitten milk too? I leave water in there at all times as well as dry food. The mom is fed all her food there.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mowsluver

Should I be giving them kitten milk too? I leave water in there at all times as well as dry food. The mom is fed all her food there.
Sounds like a great start. If mom is still nursing these kittens..there really isn't a need to suppliment their diet with KMR unless you feel they need extra nutrition.

Katie

missy'smomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well....my one boy has conpletely amazed me!! First to pee on my carpet
first to drink water...first to eat soft food and the first to show me he can properly use the litter box!!! OH YEAH and the first to climb out of the bathtub!!! Mommy doesn't like that part....she looks at me like put him back please