what is de-clawing???

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ive been reading stuff for a few weeks here and often come across stuff about de-clawing,what exsactly is that,and why is it done?????

also whats this soft paws thing about,sounds like gloves for cats,

when/why/how???? thanks

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so envious that you are from a place that allows you to not even know that this cruel practice exists. I wish it were illegal here, if only our cats were so fortunate.

People who declaw cats often do it for their own convenience, without giving much thought to the cats well being (or thinking it doesn't actually do any harm, as is commonly thought). Instead of training their cats to scratch appropriate places, they'd rather just get rid of the claws so they don't have to deal with it. (Save their precious leather furniture). The procedure is often done at the time of the spay/neuter. When I was calling around to get the price quotes for my cats spay, I immediatley ruled out any clinic that offered the declaw as well, as if they were asking "would you like fries with that?". It's sick.

Soft paws are an excellent alternative. www.softclaws.com should give you all the info you need on them. I've never found them necessary with my cats, but I know many people who swear by them.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine it would be too comfortable for the cats wearing those soft paws. However, if it's the only way a person will refrain from declawing, I guess I can live with the concept. I always say, if you don't want a few scratches on your furniture, don't get cats

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The soft claws don't seem to bother Maui at all! Of course he isn't a big fan of getting them put on but the whole process is getting much easier as he gets more and more used to it.

I think of them along the same lines as women who get acrylic nails put on... once you get used to them the first time you hardly notice them.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scratches on furniture (wood) are one thing. Shredded upholstery is another.
I asked to adopt a declawed cat. Gizmo was operated on probably when she was spayed, so it was a long time ago. She is a happy and well adjusted cat who is obviously hard-wired for scratching; she owns three scratching posts and uses them all!
I noted that she does not scratch on a certain weave of brocade but is attracted to another. If I have another cat, I would have to keep it away from the antique sofa, but it would be okay to let it on the newer one. I'll have to find out why some fabric doesn't attract the little paws.
that aside, I have no regrets whatever for adopting Gizmo. She's still got a very strong grip and I suspect she'd be an excellent mouser even without the claws.
She also rabbit-kicks the wooden furniture with her (clawed) hind legs. This does not bother me at all since the scratches can be filled in. I appreciate her condition most during our nightly 'shoulder kneading sessions' which are rather painful for me even without the claws. But it makes her happy.

Gizmo is bright enough to learn where not to scratch; she need not have been declawed at all, but the decision was not made by me.

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I learned the hardest way possible that declawing is just wrong. Many years ago (about 15), I had a beautiful maine coon mix kitty that I had declawed. I was in my early 20s at the time and was clueless. I knew my cat was strickly indoors so I didn't see why it would be a problem to do this. I know different now. When I was moving to a new apartment, I had him stay with a friend for a few days. I told them that Zack, my kitty, was not allowed outside because he was declawed. Somehow, however, one of their kids let him out and Zack was killed by a dog because he had no means of defense and no way to climb up a tree or anything to get away. I was devastated and vowed that I would never ever again declaw a cat. It just isn't right, you are taking away their only defense if they should get outside somehow. This is only one of the reasons not to do it, but there are so many more. Take it from someone who knows.

lizmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Declawing is a very cruel and barbaric practice and sincerely hope no one on this board would have it done to their cats. It takes away all the cats' defences in the event of a fight etc.
People do it to protect their precious homes. So why have a cat in the first place if you feel like that? I'm sorry if this seems a stroppy posting but I make no apology as I feel very strongly about this issue. Declawing is mutilation and should be made illegal. We have had many cats in the house and are now down to 2 (others died of old age etc sadly and they are much missed). Yes, they strop the furniture but we have the sort of furniture that wont damage that easily. If anyone has that done to their cat, then shouldn't have one. I would say to them, would you like your nails pulled out so they didn't grow again?????

PS: If people are that houseproud then why get a cat at all?

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because I wanted the furniture AND the cat, that's why. I own antiques. Now that I know Gizmo's personality, I know she could be trained not to use the furniture as a scratching post.
I did not have her declawed. Someone else did that. I would not do it if I got the cat 'intact'. But I asked for a declawed cat for a reason.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TiffanyL

I learned the hardest way possible that declawing is just wrong. Many years ago (about 15), I had a beautiful maine coon mix kitty that I had declawed. I was in my early 20s at the time and was clueless. I knew my cat was strickly indoors so I didn't see why it would be a problem to do this. I know different now. When I was moving to a new apartment, I had him stay with a friend for a few days. I told them that Zack, my kitty, was not allowed outside because he was declawed. Somehow, however, one of their kids let him out and Zack was killed by a dog because he had no means of defense and no way to climb up a tree or anything to get away. I was devastated and vowed that I would never ever again declaw a cat. It just isn't right, you are taking away their only defense if they should get outside somehow. This is only one of the reasons not to do it, but there are so many more. Take it from someone who knows.
in that case people shouldnt use soft paws either, for same reason

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

Scratches on furniture (wood) are one thing. Shredded upholstery is another.
I asked to adopt a declawed cat. Gizmo was operated on probably when she was spayed, so it was a long time ago. She is a happy and well adjusted cat who is obviously hard-wired for scratching; she owns three scratching posts and uses them all!
I noted that she does not scratch on a certain weave of brocade but is attracted to another. If I have another cat, I would have to keep it away from the antique sofa, but it would be okay to let it on the newer one. I'll have to find out why some fabric doesn't attract the little paws.
that aside, I have no regrets whatever for adopting Gizmo. She's still got a very strong grip and I suspect she'd be an excellent mouser even without the claws.
She also rabbit-kicks the wooden furniture with her (clawed) hind legs. This does not bother me at all since the scratches can be filled in. I appreciate her condition most during our nightly 'shoulder kneading sessions' which are rather painful for me even without the claws. But it makes her happy.

Gizmo is bright enough to learn where not to scratch; she need not have been declawed at all, but the decision was not made by me.
My brother's cat is declawed and still comes home with baby bunnies. They do not need claws to hunt and kill!

Anyhow, I think that some cats are really good about scratching their posts and for some, it is just about impossible to stop them from stratching furniture. When I was visiting my kitten (before I adopted him) at his foster home, I happen to glance at the side of their leather sofa and my jaw just dropped. It was almost enough to make me say "no thanks" and walk out. Shredded leather is not pretty.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

My brother's cat is declawed and still comes home with baby bunnies. They do not need claws to hunt and kill!

Anyhow, I think that some cats are really good about scratching their posts and for some, it is just about impossible to stop them from stratching furniture. When I was visiting my kitten (before I adopted him) at his foster home, I happen to glance at the side of their leather sofa and my jaw just dropped. It was almost enough to make me say "no thanks" and walk out. Shredded leather is not pretty.
Then having leather furniture is one of the things cat owners need to sacrifice. I can't imagine putting fancy furniture over my cats well being.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

I highly doubt baby bunnies need a lot of skill or claws to "hunt" and kill. Adults on the other hand yes. Creeping up to the nest to nab one doesn't take a lot on the cat's part.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

Then having leather furniture is one of the things cat owners need to sacrifice. I can't imagine putting fancy furniture over my cats well being.
i dont have any fancy furniture but i still dont want it all fuzzed and shredded up. its nothing to do with being vain or prideful but no one wants to live in a dump.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

i dont have any fancy furniture but i still dont want it all fuzzed and shredded up. its nothing to do with being vain or prideful but no one wants to live in a dump.
It is not one or the other. I have a very nice home with very nice (which does not mean overly expensive) furniture and do not have my cats declawed. I've had no problems with them tearing up my furniture.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i dont have any fancy furniture but i still dont want it all fuzzed and shredded up.
That is always a risk when you share your home with cats. In most instances it won't happen but we all need to accept that cats are cats, and when we bring them into our homes (and for most of us on here, confine them to our homes) we run the risk of them damaging our possessions. Anyone not prepared to accept that risk should get themselves a different pet.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

That is always a risk when you share your home with cats. In most instances it won't happen but we all need to accept that cats are cats, and when we bring them into our homes (and for most of us on here, confine them to our homes) we run the risk of them damaging our possessions. Anyone not prepared to accept that risk should get themselves a different pet.
now that is a statement i can live with. i just dont like it being implied that we are oh so "prideful" of our "precious" possessions if we dont APPRECIATE having clawed up furniture. some people are just a bit extreme in the way they express themselves i guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shelleybik

ive been reading stuff for a few weeks here and often come across stuff about de-clawing,what exsactly is that,and why is it done?????

also whats this soft paws thing about,sounds like gloves for cats,

when/why/how???? thanks
so is DE-CLAWING done under sudation? im in the uk, and i have never heard of this,its bizzare,it sounds cruel,ive had cats all my life and its like cats=claws claws=cats if people dont want their furniture scratched ..dont get cats,my cats LOVE a good old scratch on thier scratching posts and the doormat and the tree.they dont use the furniture,but if they did,id simply say no in my authorative meowmy voice (lol) and that would be it.still slightly
as to what SOFTCLAWS are is it a glove you put on a cat???

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shelleybik

so is DE-CLAWING done under sudation? im in the uk, and i have never heard of this,its bizzare,it sounds cruel,ive had cats all my life and its like cats=claws claws=cats if people dont want their furniture scratched ..dont get cats,my cats LOVE a good old scratch on thier scratching posts and the doormat and the tree.they dont use the furniture,but if they did,id simply say no in my authorative meowmy voice (lol) and that would be it.still slightly
as to what SOFTCLAWS are is it a glove you put on a cat???
yes they are sedated and the claws are removed. softclaws are little plastic caps that you glue onto the cats claws.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

yes they are sedated and the claws are removed. softclaws are little plastic caps that you glue onto the cats claws.
thanks,i guess im im the know now,just dont get it,my instincts tell me i am TOTALLY anti-de-clawing.