counting heads

cushyinpa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now that I am up to five cats, 4 totally indoor, one 13 year old out during the day, in at night (he was born outside to a feral cat and cannot tolerate staying inside for too long (never used a litter box). Well, how can I just accept the four kitties are in the house somewhere safe and sound. They all have their own favorite spots and two are small enough to hide out of sight. I find myself constantly checking to make sure they're all acounted for. We have a busy in and out family, lots of coming and going through the doors and a big house for them to disappear in. It's becoming an obsession with me to keep track that they are all here and okay. After awhile do you all relax and assume everyone is home and hiding and you'll see them when they just show up for visit. I think I worry too much about them, but I can't seem to get past it. Eleanor

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL ... I have 5 cats, too and I have never stopped doing the "cat count" ..... I really dont want to stop either .... I want to know where they are and all is ok ....

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's only me in my place, and only 2 kitties so not much danger of them getting out. I still worry if I can't see them though. The other day I left for work and Jaffa was near the door as I went out. Although I knew he'd turned around and gone back into the living room, I panicked because I couldn't see him as I closed the door (Mosi was standing in the hall) and started worrying that he'd dashed past me and out of the door. I went to my car, got in, then decided to go back and check that they were both safely indoors. I knew I'd worry all day if I hadn't seen them both and done a head count! I like to know where they are at all times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cushyinpa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, you're saying...this is not going to end. I'll have to do it silently or nonchalantly though because I am driving the rest of the family bonkers. They think I'm over protective. Since my Scruffy got out and about and was missing 5 days a week ago before he came home.....I am on the verge of panic whenever a door is opened, etc. If it was only me I could handle it, but it's hard to disguise yourself when you're down on all fours checking under beds and furniture for the "guys"... I have a neighbor who locks all her kitties in the spare room when she goes out. That way she has no worries about husband and open doors and any escapees while she's not home. How do you ladies go away and leave them all. My sons will feed them, but head counts, no way.... We are a rare breed ladies and I don't know if that's good or bad.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the 'crazy cat lady' club!
And to a lifetime of worry! There's always something to worry about with our kitties but I wouldn't have it any other way - they're family.

I used to shut mine out the back (living room and kitchen) when I went out which made it a bit easier getting in and out, but since I've had Mosi I've been letting them have the run of the place as I want Jaffa to be able to get away from Mosi when having a lively kitten around gets too much for him.

How about putting a small sign on the door reminding anyone leaving the house to check there are no kitties ready to make an escape attempt?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

There's only me in my place, and only 2 kitties so not much danger of them getting out. I still worry if I can't see them though. The other day I left for work and Jaffa was near the door as I went out. Although I knew he'd turned around and gone back into the living room, I panicked because I couldn't see him as I closed the door (Mosi was standing in the hall) and started worrying that he'd dashed past me and out of the door. I went to my car, got in, then decided to go back and check that they were both safely indoors. I knew I'd worry all day if I hadn't seen them both and done a head count! I like to know where they are at all times.
Thats so funny .... on numerous occasions .... I have actually left my driveway headed down the street thinking "Did I turn off the curling iron" ..... "Did I turn off the iron" .... "Did I see Ducky (or whichever one)" and turn right back around .... to go check ....

I think thats a great idea placing a sign on the door.... just a visual to remind everyone to please watch for the cats .....

Its ok if they think you are being overly protective .... everyone I know thinks I am .... but my cats rely on me to keep them safe ..... and I do my best to do that even if it comes with the label "Crazy Cat Lady"
..... there are much worse labels to have ... so I am proud of mine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cushyinpa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A sign is a good idea. I think I'll get to work on that. "Don't Let Cats Out"
seems to be short and to the point. At least they'll stop and think and hopefully look to see if anyone is nearby. I esp. worry about the basement door. With 3 fix-it type men in the house...they're always up and down to the basement and with a basement outside door that almost always open....well, you know. Also, when my Scruffy got down there a few times, he crawled all scared in a corner and would not come out till he got hungry....then of course I had to make sure the outside door remained closed until I got him upstairs again. All of this does not endear me to the rest of the family. My only hope is to convert them.... Wish me luck!!