Black cat

alliread

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure where to post this, But, I always hear not to adopt black kittys during or close to halloween, I can relate alittle to why...
But what really does happen to them?? Besides someone thinking its more cute that time of year? Do they get hurt? thrown out after the holiday?

I am trying to work with that shelter from KY TRN originally posted about. And I have actually had 2 people come to me for black cats, which shocked me...

Please clue me in, thanks

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We actually do adoption blocks on all white and all black cats during the month of October, through November 2. People can come in and if they fall in love with a black cat, it is put on adoption hold for them to pick up on the 3rd.

There are a couple reasons for this...the first is the people want a party prop or a novelty and think it would be cute to have a black cat around Halloween and then cast it off. THe next is that kids playing pranks may target black or white cats due to superstitions surrounding those two colors. The third is that people dabbling in Satanism or Satanistic rituals will often sacrifice (brutally!) pure white cats most commonly, but also pure black cats.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that is shocking! Good for you for blocking people from adopting any black or white kitties during that time.

calicocallie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! I have never heard of shelters blocking adoptions of black and white cats in October, but if it keeps the kitties safer, then more power to them! It's terrible that some people "sacrifice" innocent animals..

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shelters around here do that too. My friend had her black cat killed and nailed to her mailbox on Halloween one year. I think it is more for cult or sacrifice reasons then anything else.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelters and rescue groups in my area (including the only 'kill' shelter) will not adopt out all black or all white cats (and sometimes even black and white cats) during October and the beginning of November because of the activities of some people.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would NEVER adopt cats out at Halloween or Christmas or any other holiday time. Especially the black cats for Halloween.

Its not "cute" they want - its for ritual sacrifice! They plan on killing them. That also goes for black/white cats too - mostly black with a little white; if they can't find all black cats.

I knew about the black ones, but didn't know that all white cats were also involved. Thank goodness all my kitties are inside - I have (now and before) several all white cats and all black/black smoke cats. Spooky's BEW rex and Ling's a black/white.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is sick.. I never would have thought shelters would have to resort to such a thing!! I think the black halloween cats are cute that are on decorations.. We've had one hanging up all year! No one better touch my black and white and for that matter orange kitties!

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The *******s are only out for ritual sacrafice, they drain the blood... cut their stomachs open to rip out intestines...then the heart is removed for their ritual. They need to be shot really. I never heard of a white cat being used though, only black. But of course you have people like me (irish) who believe black cats are actually GOOD luck and a blessing to have

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I own both black and white cats, guess I'm covered either way...or do they cancel each other's luck out?

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't know that about white cats either.

I used to feed an all black cat who lived beneath a shop next to where I worked for several years. Halloween always scared me, but I took some comfort knowing no one else could get anywhere near him. Last year I finally caught him early in October so I wouldn't have to stress over it again. He's a great cat. Turned out positive for FIV, but he's still a great cat.

shadowsoul

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel sad black and white cats sometimes fall victim to superstitions that will lead to their pain or terrible deaths

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that the shelter in my city won't adopt any sort of cat, of any colour, during the last week in October. There have been several cases of animal sacrifice here (not just cats).
Why anyone would do such a cruel thing makes me really ill.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CalicoCallie

Oh my gosh! I have never heard of shelters blocking adoptions of black and white cats in October, but if it keeps the kitties safer, then more power to them! It's terrible that some people "sacrifice" innocent animals..
I live in Salem, MA, and we have a lot of "witches" here, and people seem to flock to our area for Halloween. Ours is one of the areas where black cats can not and will not be adopted out, because in the past there have been cases where they would get adopted and then tortured in "satanic" rituals by people who think they have powers.

It's crazy, but the ban is done to protect the black cats, it isn't a situation where they don't want to find good homes for them, rather, it's that not every adopter can be trusted, so better safe than sorry.

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I live in Salem, MA, and we have a lot of "witches" here, and people seem to flock to our area for Halloween. Ours is one of the areas where black cats can not and will not be adopted out, because in the past there have been cases where they would get adopted and then tortured in "satanic" rituals by people who think they have powers.

It's crazy, but the ban is done to protect the black cats, it isn't a situation where they don't want to find good homes for them, rather, it's that not every adopter can be trusted, so better safe than sorry.
Im one of those people who visits salem every october lol, but I visit for the museum and the tours and to take pictures of the old cemetery there
Im in rhode island anyway...is it anytime of year that black cats cant be adopted out? What happens to them

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaclyn4238

Im one of those people who visits salem every october lol, but I visit for the museum and the tours and to take pictures of the old cemetery there
Im in rhode island anyway...is it anytime of year that black cats cant be adopted out? What happens to them
It's only around Halloween, as far as I am aware. The local shelter won't keep any black cats at the shelter itself during that time, instead, the cats are kept at their foster homes until the risky season is over.

Thank you for coming to Salem during Halloween. Please be sure to visit local businesses while you are here rather than just the fly-by-night out of towners that set up vending kiosks/temporary storefronts just to make a quick buck. That kind of revenue gets taken back out of state, and the city suffers finacially as a result. We appreciate any support given to our local businesses!

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will have to check with the group I volunteer with; I have a feeling they will take applications but not process them until after the "season" is over. We have quite a few black cats and kittens in right now.

It is so unbelievable what stupid and sick people can do to animals. During the adoption session, I actually have to get people to sign that the cat will be a pet and not used for "medical experiments" - I guess there are those that would adopt a cat and sell it for that - I have heard of pets being stolen. Just too much and heartwrenching.