Hi, We are a very new kitty family....

sammie's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and to having a kitten. I have never in my life owned a cat. I'm very nervous and anxious about it. Please don't take this the wrong way but i'm not really a cat person. I love animals but i'm partial to dogs. We have 2 labradors. My husband has always had cats growing up. He has wanted one for a very long time and we just never got one because of me. Well, my husbands cousins' cat had a litter with a stray. Why she wasn't spayed i don't know! So we brought one home. His name is Sammie. He is orange and white. Very cute although i'm scared of him. lol! Not really scared i just don't know how to take care of him. I am extremely upset at the way they were cared for. Very messy, dirty, unsanitary conditions! That to me is very, very disturbing. i would not have taken one until they said they were going to take them to the pound. Our pound has 500 strays now. They don't have room for anymore. Well brought him home and straight in the bath! The stench made me sick to my stomach!!! Covered in fleas! I used dawn and we picked fleas off of him for about 45 minutes. He also has worms, i assume because there is blood in his stools. Its a holiday weekend so no vet till Tuesday. I am freaking out because this to me is unbelievable! I can see this happening out in nature but this was at someones house! How do you not care for them properly???? I guess any info would be helpful! I am totally clueless about kittens. I haven't let my kids play too much with him because of the worms. Can they get them from handling the kitten? He is six weeks today. I will take him to the vet tues. if i can get in. I know i sound horrible but i'm just upset cause he wasn't taken care of. I know i will love him very much. Please help with any info. Thanks!

Tara

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sammie's mom

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and to having a kitten. I have never in my life owned a cat. I'm very nervous and anxious about it. Please don't take this the wrong way but i'm not really a cat person. I love animals but i'm partial to dogs. We have 2 labradors. My husband has always had cats growing up. He has wanted one for a very long time and we just never got one because of me. Well, my husbands cousins' cat had a litter with a stray. Why she wasn't spayed i don't know! So we brought one home. His name is Sammie. He is orange and white. Very cute although i'm scared of him. lol! Not really scared i just don't know how to take care of him. I am extremely upset at the way they were cared for. Very messy, dirty, unsanitary conditions! That to me is very, very disturbing. i would not have taken one until they said they were going to take them to the pound. Our pound has 500 strays now. They don't have room for anymore. Well brought him home and straight in the bath! The stench made me sick to my stomach!!! Covered in fleas! I used dawn and we picked fleas off of him for about 45 minutes. He also has worms, i assume because there is blood in his stools. Its a holiday weekend so no vet till Tuesday. I am freaking out because this to me is unbelievable! I can see this happening out in nature but this was at someones house! How do you not care for them properly???? I guess any info would be helpful! I am totally clueless about kittens. I haven't let my kids play too much with him because of the worms. Can they get them from handling the kitten? He is six weeks today. I will take him to the vet tues. if i can get in. I know i sound horrible but i'm just upset cause he wasn't taken care of. I know i will love him very much. Please help with any info. Thanks!

Tara
Tara...thank you for caring....unfortunately I have been hearing more and more about situations where people hoard animals in unsanitary conditions. Now as to caring for your kitten...this website will be most helpful:

http://www.kitten-rescue.com

Katie

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't sound horrible at all! You sound like someone that took an innocent kitten away from a miserable existence. I never was a cat person either until a pregnant stray showed up and stayed long enough to have her litter, wean them, and find homes for them. I was hooked.
You have come to the right place for advice on how to help raise a kitten. Don't ever hesitate to ask questions about taking care of him. Someone here is always glad to help, and we have the best moderators on the net.
Welcome to the TCS family. We would love to see pics of little Sammie!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

Kittens can be frightening for a newbie, but reading the good advice above will get you through it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammie's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww, thanks guys and gals! You are all wonderful!

I'm very comfortable with my dogs. We have a 3 year chocolate lab and a 4 month old lab. they are no problem, i know what to do but this little kitty has got me in panic mode!!! LOL!

I have some cute pics so i'll have to figure out how to post them. I'm just getting used to this forum.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh don't panic that baby will blend right in
Welcome to TCS home of wonderful people, help and loads of beautiful kitties, we have a ball here and you will do while staying informed
If you need any help just give a bigole Meow someone will hear you
and be here to rescue you, or offer great advice
So welcome from myself and all my beautiful babies

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for taking in Sammie. I have had both dogs and cats all my life; labs seem to be particularly fond of having a cat, as do the sheperd dogs - dogs LOVE having a really important job, like protecting kitty.
As for bathing, cats are very sensitive, so be very careful on what you use - most soaps and detergents are too harsh. Also, the perfumes can irritate their lungs. A weak salt bath usu. is enough to stop the fleas enough; the salt dries them out without harming the kitten.
If your children do pet the kitty before he is de-wormed, make sure they wash their hands thoroughly before touching their face and they should be safe. The blood in his stool could be caused by irritation from food or other illness, too, not just worms.
I hope to see pics, soon, esp. with the dogs enjoying their new kitty! Again, bless you for rescuing little Sammie! I hope that someone can step in and help with his littermates, and hopefully get the mama cat SPAYED A.S.A.P.!

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

I hope to see pics, soon, esp. with the dogs enjoying their new kitty! Again, bless you for rescuing little Sammie! I hope that someone can step in and help with his littermates, and hopefully get the mama cat SPAYED A.S.A.P.!
My thoughts exactly!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for saving him and with such a cutie you will be a cat lover in a few days. It takes a while to get used to the needs of a cat. But I can tell you are upto it. Bless you again.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i am so glad you rescued him, & i wish i could rescue mom & the rest just to get them out of there! welcome to TCS!