wierd cat

catcrazzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a female cat that is about a year and a half, i got her from a farm and took her to the vet to check her out, only to find out she was pregnant, funny thing is, we ended up taking the dad too, but anyways, i have had her now for about 8 months, and has since had her kittens, cute lil guys, but for some odd reason she always seems to be depressed, she hates to be out with us in the living room or any other part of the house, when she does it's because i make her, when she does come out all she does is curl up and look at you, if she does stay, it's for a short period of time, i don't want to make her feel any more uncomfortable, and she goes back to the room and hides under the bed. i do go in there often and i give her attention, but i have to lay on the floor to do it, she purrs and rolls over to have her belly scratched. is it odd that she only like that room?....or maybe she is scared to be with more then 1 person at a time? i have no clue, and nothing that i have read to do works...i'm just stumped

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who had an extreme dislike for our living room and dining room (in the middle of the house,first floor). It took her almost 5 years to come and visit with us there, and she still isn't totally comfortable, and she's 7. I raised her from 2 weeks old! In the same house! With the same older cats
! Her favorite places are upstairs, where the guest room, a bonus room and a bath are, and our masterbath- there she is nothing but meows, purrs, and ankle buffing! Even sits on the side of the tub while we're taking a shower, and chases the water on the shower curtain, and jumps into our arms AS SOON as we get out
!
Not a clue, but I hoped that a "been there, done that", even if it took a really long time
, would give you some hope. I think Smoochie just doesn't care for the livingroom, because that's where all the "strange" people could show up at any time. That's what I'm going with, anyways!
I hope she settles in quicker than mine, and I'm sure someone can give you some help
. It may just take time, though, for her to get used to all the company there.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

but I hoped that a "been there, done that", even if it took a really long time, would give you some hope. I think Smoochie just doesn't care for the livingroom, because that's where all the "strange" people could show up at any time.
Yes, it is a good hypothesis. Try perhaps with Feliway!

Another, very similiar hypothesis is how is she and the other cats in your house?
Cats low in the pecking ladder behave often so...

Do they attack her when she shows up? Or are they very friendly?
If they not very friendly - take it she IS low in the pecking order. Cats dont need always openly attacks. It may be making fuss at the litter, or making difficulties with the food or water... Such things.
Work with that.
And Feliway good also in this variation.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcrazzie

she hates to be out with us in the living room or any other part of the house, when she does it's because i make her, when she does come out all she does is curl up and look at you, if she does stay, it's for a short period of time, i don't want to make her feel any more uncomfortable, and she goes back to the room and hides under the bed.
Let her be. There are cats that prefer to be loners and there are cats that can't live without cuddling a human.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Pearl, who is 6, almost never comes out of the bedroom. She lives mostly in the closet or under the bed. She loves to come up on the bed and cuddle with us, but will not have anything to do with another cat. That is odd, too, because even though she was rescued from an abusive home, the other cat let her eat from his bowl, almost the only food she got, and he protected her by occasionally biting the abusive woman.
I have long since given up on having her be a social kitty. She will take spells where she will even come to visit when we have guests, but everything is on her terms.
I put her food, water and toys in the bedroom, and a litterbox in the bathroom, and she seems to be happy.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Consider what smells are in the other rooms that may be different to her own room, and also that at the farm she may have only slept in one place apart from running around outside.