cat hair killed the fridge?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mamacat

My MIL's fridge wheezed to a halt this week, and the guy who came to fix it said it was cat hair in the compressor that did it. Have you ever heard of such a thing?
No, but is it bad that I think it's funny?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

No, but is it bad that I think it's funny?
That's okay, I thought it was kind of funny too.
I also think he was full of moo poo. I mean, think of all the people in the world who have cats, not to mention shedding dogs. I feel like I would have heard of this sort of thing before if that could really happen. He told her she had to buy a special brush to periodically clean...something, I don't know what...in or on the fridge.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mamacat

That's okay, I thought it was kind of funny too.
I also think he was full of moo poo. I mean, think of all the people in the world who have cats, not to mention shedding dogs. I feel like I would have heard of this sort of thing before if that could really happen. He told her she had to buy a special brush to periodically clean...something, I don't know what...in or on the fridge.
hehe...sorry, thought it was funny too.....But..

The compressor is a completely sealed, oil filled unit that cat hair CANNOT get in to. Now, a lot of refrigerators still have the "grill" on the back, which is how the compressor dissipates heat. If that were to get covered with hair, it is possible I suppose for the compressor to eventually overheat...but they are designed to shut down and cool off if that occurs, not burn themselves up. The tech was probably talking about cleaning the grillwork on the back of the 'fridge, in which case, one of those soft brush attachments on a small shop vacuum works just fine

deelynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL wow that is strange
now does the cat sleep behind :censor::censor::censor::censor:?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that the grille prob. got clogged, but the typical kitchen grease and lints (unless her dish towels and paper products are lintless) most likely built up just as much, if not more, than the cat hair - no doubt the tech has a bias against cats.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I know it can happen to computer fans, if the cat is always sitting next to the computer... but then if you clean out your computer regularly it won't happen, and you're supposed to do that anyway just for dust.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a side by side refrigerator. I take off the grill located on the bottom of the refrig and I both vaccuum and I have this really long skinny brush to remove more hair quite often (at least 2-3 times/month) . We had our :censor::censor::censor::censor: fixed about a yr ago and the repairman said that this pet hair build up can damage the performance of the refrigerator.
Also he told us to use Vaseline one the seals around the doors to keep the material (rubbery plastic) mosit and get a better seal (once/yr).