Gastroparesis????

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So after being a gueine pig yet again yesterday and having a Gastric Emptying Study done last week- I was diagnosed as having Gastroparesis.....Uhhh! The only thing I know about that is that food digests more slowly and it is quite common in Diabetics (which thankfully I am not
I was tested for that about 2 weeks ago
). So now I have GERD, IBS (spaztic colon), Hiatial Hernia, Lactose intolerance and apparently some infection in my stomach
- they still have to to a test for Celiac Disease- they tried to do the blood test yesterday- that big heifer stuck me in the same vein 8 darn times and never was able to get any blood
I don't do good with needles and it doesn't help that my veins are really hard to find. Finally after almost passing out on her i shouted out "Sweet Jesus!!!! Please STOP!!!!!!"- my hand was killing me! Then she was like "i guess you're done for the day huh" and i was told her - "definitely!" - So i will go back next week and they will try again- i was too freaked out to continue
. I hate blood tests!!!!! I also have to do another test on Tues after my classes get out...so i'm really not looking foward to that. I'm really upset too- because I haven't really been able to eat much of anyhing lately without having to run to the bathroom (sorry for the details). And my doctor didn't really know what to tell me yesterday because he's still wating for some more tests. Once I get a difinitive diagnosis- i'm going to a dietician to figure out what i can eat.
. In the mean time he told me to eat whatever didn't make me sick.......riiiiiight! Uhhh! Hopefully I will know what's going on soon because I'm just kinda eating things at the moment and "dealing" with it. Here's where the problem comes in- I have GERD soo severily that I need surgery to correct it....however, now that I've been diagnosed with Gastroparesis - if they do surgery to correct the GERD, it can make the Gastroparesis worse- so they won't do it now
. And I can't take medicine for the Gastroparesis becaue it will make the IBS about 5 times worse.....So right now i'm only taking medicine for the GERD (a double dose of Zegarid per day- and that manages it petty deciently). I'm also taking Lactaid tablets before i eat dairy- but they usually aren't much help. So i'm kinda stuck as to what my next move is until the doctor give me a sound diagnosis. My stomach is a nightmare
. Sorry for all of the detil, but I know some of you TCS folks have been through similar medical issues. My main question now is- Do any of you know anything about Gastroparesis? What foods aggervate it? How are your treating it...even if it's without medicine...because I cannot currently take anything to treat it. I have to do a fecal study on Tues- (i'm already completely weirded out by that thought- but at this point i'm desperate.) After I do that- my doctor gave me some antibiotics to take for a week to possible help the Gastroparesis. I have no clue what to eat or do until then.....any help or vibes would me much appreciated!!!
Thankyou everyone! (sorry for the details- but i'm pretty desperate).

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.gicare.com/pated/ecdgs45.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gastroparesis/DS00612
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroparesis

The only thing that I knew about it is that it can make you throw up. I found these links. Maybe they will be helpful. Good luck to you! I hope they are able to find a good treatment for you and to minimize the symptoms.

I'm glad you stood up for yourself with getting your blood drawn. You can request that another tech draw your blood if that woman can't do it. We have an IV team at my hospital that provides backup in those situations. You shouldn't have to go home with a bunch of pain and brusing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gastroparesis/DS00612
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroparesis

The only thing that I knew about it is that it can make you throw up. I found these links. Maybe they will be helpful. Good luck to you! I hope they are able to find a good treatment for you and to minimize the symptoms.

I'm glad you stood up for yourself with getting your blood drawn. You can request that another tech draw your blood if that woman can't do it. We have an IV team at my hospital that provides backup in those situations. You shouldn't have to go home with a bunch of pain and brusing!
Thankyou for those links. I really appreciate it. I haven't been able to find too much on that topic- so hopefully those will have some good info.
/And about that nurse- uhhhh!!!! She's my doctor's RN...and is usually really sweet-she said that she is the one that most people call when they can't find a vain- I will definitely NOT have her try to take any more blood from me. I think she is nice- but there is no way i find her competent enough to take blood from me ever again.8 sticks in the same vein to someone who is already skiddish about needles is not good nursing skills in my opinion.She should have tried another location - (i told her mid range is where people always find one on me...but she wouldn't listen and went straight to my hand-owww!) I will have someone else try next week and hopefully they will be successful without killing my hand or arm...lol wherever they can find a vein - in the process.
Thankyou once again for the vibes and those links! I really appreciate it

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok- not trying to complaine, but OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!
I'm in soooo much pain right now it stinks!!!!!! My stomach is a nightmare! I think I need a stomach transplant or something- do they do that??? If so, that would rock. Uhhh i'm almost crying- this sucks! Why am i in soo much pain??? My doctor is nooo help at all right now! They won't give me anything else or do surgery till they do the other tests
.....that's gonna be a while. UHHHHHH!!!! I need some kind of numbing thing to eat so I won't feel my stomach!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok -i'm seriously considering going to the hopsital now- i'm in soo much pain and I don't have anything for it
I'm gonna try and make it to the kittens next feeding- i'm about to go warm their formula up. This is aweful. I almost want to go to the hospital- but it will cost a fortune, even with insurance, and I will be stuck waiting for hours in pain because Memphis hospitals are horrid! I'd almost stay here because at least i'd be seemingly comfy in my own house and i don't want to leave my foster kittens. This is horrible though- i don't know what to do anymore
I'm supposed to have two more tests done this week..and i know the doctors at the hospital are gonna be zero help without those tests being done already

I'm sorry to complaine. I just don't know what else to do- i'm hurting really bad and it's almost 1:30- i don't want to wake anyone up to go to the hospital- but i'm hurting horribly.
What should i do??? I don't think the hospital will be much help and there's no use in running up a bill if they won't be able to help me

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also posted a reply to your question about going to the ER. Go!

I looked up the Wikpedia info on Gastoparesis because I have never heard that term. I also looked up GERD because I didn't recognize the acronym- now I know what it is. I've had problems with that from time to time. Both articles recommend more and smaller meals each day to limit the amount of food in your stomach at any one time. Lots of good info about diet. Did your doctor tell your ANYTHING about diet? There are apparently ways to minimize the discomfort. Good luck.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've looked after many people with Gastroparesis. Basically in a nutshell what happens is the stomach doesn't contract often enough to push out the food into the intestines which means the food sits in the stomach and causes pain.

It's often associated with Diabetes, and all of the patient's that I've looked after had Diabetes. There is no cure, but it can be managed through medication (to help with nausea and to help force increased stomach emptying, and pain as needed) and diet.

Foods to avoid are foods that tend to sit in the stomach longer such as foods with high fat content and high fibre content. Also instead of having 3 large meals in a day, have 6 or more small ones so that you aren't stuffing your stomach. Also liquids tend to leave the stomach faster than solids, so nutrition drinks are good to have but don't make them the only thing you have unless your doctor tells you to!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a link to more information:

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I've looked after many people with Gastroparesis. Basically in a nutshell what happens is the stomach doesn't contract often enough to push out the food into the intestines which means the food sits in the stomach and causes pain.

It's often associated with Diabetes, and all of the patient's that I've looked after had Diabetes. There is no cure, but it can be managed through medication (to help with nausea and to help force increased stomach emptying, and pain as needed) and diet.

Foods to avoid are foods that tend to sit in the stomach longer such as foods with high fat content and high fibre content. Also instead of having 3 large meals in a day, have 6 or more small ones so that you aren't stuffing your stomach. Also liquids tend to leave the stomach faster than solids, so nutrition drinks are good to have but don't make them the only thing you have unless your doctor tells you to!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a link to more information:

Thankyou soo much! That info is helpful!
. I am feeling a lot better today and i'm not in nearly as much pain!
( i posted in the other thread
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98184 And my doctor called to check on me this morning). I am not able to take medication as of right now for the gastroparesis because I have IBS and GERD as well as a Hiatial Hernia and an infection in my stomach
and it will supposedly make those worse
. I think i'm one of the few with Gastroparesis that is fortunate enough not to have diabetes thankfully
. I consulted my doctor on what i should eat this week and since he doesn't have the other test results in ( we're waiting on a Celiac test to see if i'm allergic to wheat
...) he can't really give me a straight answer. He said just eat things that don't bother me- which at this point, almost everything does, so i just grin and bear it usually. He did say however to try and avoid things high in fat and fruits as they both make me really ill. I usually eat 5-6 small meals a day- i have a really high metabolism so I stay hungry
I try to eat really healthy (baked chicken, thin crust spinach pizza, turkey, spinach, corn, fruit, etc...stuff like that- however my doc told me to lay off the fruit becaues it always kills my stomach
.....lol i'm still attempting to do that- i love fruit so it's hard.). When they finish those other two tests this comming week and get my results in- I will be going to a dietician to help figure out what i can eat to manage my symptoms. Thankyou soo much for your post-it was very helpful!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure can sympathize with you. I know all to well what its like to live with digestive problems. I have had Crohns Disease since I was a teen and have had numerouse surgeries for it and take tons of meds.I was also diganosed as having a slow empting stomache. They put me on a antibiotic for it and said that would help. I took it for a few months and thought no way is it good to live on a antibiotic.I find small frequent meals help alot.Never over eat. Or you will pay for it.. Don't ehsitate to demand pain meds from your doctor. taken when really needed but not over used they can be a life saver some days!
I do hope you get some help and answeres fro your belly problems.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

I sure can sympathize with you. I know all to well what its like to live with digestive problems. I have had Crohns Disease since I was a teen and have had numerouse surgeries for it and take tons of meds.I was also diganosed as having a slow empting stomache. They put me on a antibiotic for it and said that would help. I took it for a few months and thought no way is it good to live on a antibiotic.I find small frequent meals help alot.Never over eat. Or you will pay for it.. Don't ehsitate to demand pain meds from your doctor. taken when really needed but not over used they can be a life saver some days!
I do hope you get some help and answeres fro your belly problems.
Thankyou for sharing your story with me. I appreciate it. I'm supposed to start antibiotics after my tests tomorrow as well for a week. We'll see how that goes. They gave me a ton of samples so i won't have to buy them
. I go in tomorrow after my class...i kinda want to wait till friday when i have the entire day off to do those tests, but i think i should just get it over with tomorrow

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, looks like i will be waiting until friday for those tests. My doctor had something come up this morning and will not be in today, so we rescheduled for Friday. One of my teachers will be out of town (i only have 1 class on fridays)....so i will have the entire day to do the tests -and best of all, my best friend is gonna go with me for it so it won't be too bad
. It actually worked out pretty well. Thankyou soo much for those sweet vibes and words everyone! I really appreciate it!