Sick Cat

emro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all I have a sick Egyptian Mau. We think it is a cold but not to sure. We got her about 1 week ago from Egypt (we live in Germany). She was fine but a day or 2 ago she started to be real calm and now she is sneezing alot. She is drinking and eatting. Is there anything to cure the cold in household good things? Please let me know so I may help my cat. Below are some pictures of this great kitten.

adiago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My Cat was sick too a few days ago, and he's much better now.Things that might help are just keeping him warm, giving him good quality food with all the proteins and other things he needs and drinking water and he'll start getting better in a day or two, if not take him to the vet (even if he is/gets better just to make sure).

A good thing you can do is read some articles on the net about cats and colds, some explain really well what to do in case of this and that.

Hope your cat gets better

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your answer. We put a red light near her and gave her some vitamins in her food and she purked up a little bit. She dischaged some mucus from her nose and since then she has been a little bit more active. She ate all her food and has been walking around a little bit. She still has a sneese every once in a wile but she is doing a little better. She is now sleeping on my wifes laptop LOL.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible she may have an upper respiratory infection (URI). This can be brought on by stress (which may have resulted from her trip). Keep an eye on her and if you find she is not eating/drinking normally and seems a bit lethargic, get her to a vet pronto. URI's can get serious fairly quickly.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second Yosemite. A sneze here and there...no worries. But if she slows or stops eating, starts having nose/eye discharge that isn't clear, etc....take her to the vet. More than likely they will just give you a basic antibiotic to give her for a week or so and then she should be good as new.

If her head gets stuffy/congested:

- Wipe her eyes and nose with a warm wet washcloth. Kitties can't blow their noses or wipe their eyes well when they feel bad.

- Try steaming up the bathroom or putting her in a room with a humidifier. When Anya was sick with a URI when we got her she slept in our room with us with a humidifier on full blast and aimed at the bed. Worked wonders.

- Feed her smelly wet food or tuna. If a cat can't smell their food they aren't usually interested. Often why kittens who are really sick don't want to eat. Plus this gets more moisture in her diet.

Good luck and I hope your kitty feels better soon!

emro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WThanks for all your information guys. She has became more active since the last time I posted. She stil has some discharge comming out from her nose when she sneezzes and still coughs but she is eating ok (ie. eatting her 50% food and 50% water to make sure she gets her water). She loves her cuddleing. We are trying to do this at home as we dont have enough money to take her to the vet over here (we live in Germany and they charge WAY TO MUCH). I hope a miracle comes thru and someone decides to help us out LOL. Again thanx for all your wonderful help. I know Zuzu does

William

emro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has her Rabies, she has had Eclipse 4 (a shot for--Feline Rhinotracheitis, Calici, Panleukopenia, Chlamydia psittaci Vaccine, Modified Live Virus and Chlamydia), and she had Revolution.

emro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been getting better. She still sneeses and discharges some mucus from her nose. We put a mister near her when she is sleeping and like I said she has been getting better.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EMRO

She has been getting better. She still sneeses and discharges some mucus from her nose. We put a mister near her when she is sleeping and like I said she has been getting better.
Very good to hear.