Anne, do you have any info on that white Kitten rescued by the IDF soldier?

goblin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering.

It is white, and he said it had some hearing problems.

It seems that was some good news, out of that whole mess.

I don't envy you living over there.

Take care!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering about that sweet little kitten the other day as well! I hope it is doing well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goblin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, in the story, the soldier said it had hearing problem.

I know most deaf cats are white.

I was wondering if anyone had a deaf cat and how to deal with that problem.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
White cats with blue eyes are typically more genetically predisposed to deafness to some degree- however, that is not always the case. Sometimes they can hear perfectly.
I have a solid with odd-eyed Turkish Angora, Isabella...and I had her hearing checked when she was a kitten - sometimes odd-eyes are only deaf on the side that the blue eye is on...however Isabella isn't thankfully- if she would have been, it wouldn't have changed anything- she still would have been loved to death by us. Usually what happens is deaf white kittens aren't born deaf- it usually occurs a few days after their ear canals open- the gene that determines hearing has something wrong with it and the kittens hearing starts to fade...sometime it doesn't fade away completely and they have partial hearing...sometimes they are completely deaf. The only difference i've notice in deaf cats is not to sneak up behind them (even if it's accidental) because you will startle them. Also, it helps to approach them from the front so that they can see you and what's going on. Also - they are able to feel the vibrations from the floor when people walk for example...so that helps a bit. Other than that- they are just like a normal kitty with the exception that they just can't hear you. They are just as affectionate and seem to function just as well.

goblin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info on deaf cats. I have not yet rescued a deaf cat. But is suspect the IDF soldier did.

The article did mention hearing problem. This guy definately has a good heart. Believe me, cats are soooo much easier to rescue than Hew-mons!

There is so much hate and violence over there, I feel for Anne.

I wouldn't want to live there. Where I live is very nice and quiet and boring.

But I thought, that since she lives in Israel she might be able to give this guy, through this forum some points on his new rescue.

I have paid out $500 in vet bills for three rescue kittens.

But you know what, it is worth it for all the warm fuzzies.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're welcome!
. I think that guy sounds like such a sweet person too. I hope the kitten is doing alright. All of the air strikes and bombings may have damaged its hearing in some way too if it was not already deaf. I hope that 's not the case though. I have family in Israel too....so i definitely understand the situation.
./ I agree with you on spending money on foster kittens.It's definitely worth it for cute foster kitties
. Have a good one!

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Goblin

Well, in the story, the soldier said it had hearing problem.

I know most deaf cats are white.

I was wondering if anyone had a deaf cat and how to deal with that problem.
Peanut Butterum (red and white) is almost totally deaf. She can hear (or maybe feel) extremely low noises, like something going thud, or a dog with a woof type bark. But for the most part, she can't hear hardly anything. She and Sassy Saparilla are a bonded pair from the shelter (who didn't know she was deaf).

Sassy acts as Peanut's ears. When Sassy jumps, Peanut jumps. They were trying to get them adopted as a pair because they were surrendered as a pair, but Peanut was making it hard. Anytime someone would try to take Peanut to the play room, she was squirm and cry and just want back in the cage with Sassy. I found out that if I took them BOTH out of the cage and draped one over each shoulder, then they are the most awesome cats, Peanut even gives little "licky kisses". So, I brought them home together, and figured out one day a week or so later about the deafness when I dropped a cookie sheet that I was washing, and Peanut never heard it hit the floor.

The only thing special that I've done for Peanut is, when she is on the bed looking out the window, other cats running into the room and jumping on the bed would startle her something awlful. So, I put an oriental screen at the bedroom door, so that cats going into the bedroom have to slow down and walk along the wall, coming out from behind the screen at a place that Peanut can see them coming.

As you can see, Peanut doesn't go anywhere without her ears

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

Peanut Butterum (red and white) is almost totally deaf. She can hear (or maybe feel) extremely low noises, like something going thud, or a dog with a woof type bark. But for the most part, she can't hear hardly anything. She and Sassy Saparilla are a bonded pair from the shelter (who didn't know she was deaf).

Sassy acts as Peanut's ears. When Sassy jumps, Peanut jumps. They were trying to get them adopted as a pair because they were surrendered as a pair, but Peanut was making it hard. Anytime someone would try to take Peanut to the play room, she was squirm and cry and just want back in the cage with Sassy. I found out that if I took them BOTH out of the cage and draped one over each shoulder, then they are the most awesome cats, Peanut even gives little "licky kisses". So, I brought them home together, and figured out one day a week or so later about the deafness when I dropped a cookie sheet that I was washing, and Peanut never heard it hit the floor.

The only thing special that I've done for Peanut is, when she is on the bed looking out the window, other cats running into the room and jumping on the bed would startle her something awlful. So, I put an oriental screen at the bedroom door, so that cats going into the bedroom have to slow down and walk along the wall, coming out from behind the screen at a place that Peanut can see them coming.

As you can see, Peanut doesn't go anywhere without her ears

That is such an awesome story!!!!!! I'm soo glad those cuties have you as their mommy!

goblin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does this poor IDF sucker know what he has gotten himself into?

These rescue kittens Co$t in Vet bills!!!!!

Totally, but they are sooo worth the warm fuzzies!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I don't have any information about that specific soldier and kitten. I can say that veterinary care is easy to get by in Israel. People are very aware of the need, there are many good vets around and vet bills are somewhat less expensive. I know my vet does lots of work for free for rescues. I often brought in rescued animals that he treated either for free or for cost (medicine, bandages etc). I know he isn't very unique in that either.

Bottom line is, I'm pretty sure that the cat got a great treatment. When a guy has the heart to carry the cat in his arms for miles, along with his heavy military gear, rest assured that the cat is going to get some very good treatment when they get home

goosehazel

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up to my eyeballs in Thomas the Tank Engine undies
Originally Posted by Anne

I don't have any information about that specific soldier and kitten. I can say that veterinary care is easy to get by in Israel. People are very aware of the need, there are many good vets around and vet bills are somewhat less expensive. I know my vet does lots of work for free for rescues. I often brought in rescued animals that he treated either for free or for cost (medicine, bandages etc). I know he isn't very unique in that either.

Bottom line is, I'm pretty sure that the cat got a great treatment. When a guy has the heart to carry the cat in his arms for miles, along with his heavy military gear, rest assured that the cat is going to get some very good treatment when they get home
Your vets sound like wonderful people
I also agree, anyone carrying that baby kitty for that long will definitely make sure it's cared for

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

How cute - a kitty speed-bump.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got two deafies. Dolls...someday I'll have a housefull of old, deaf, rescue cats.
I have found one major drawback to deaf cats...the "deaf cat voice"...a.k.a. screaming! lol

Being deaf isn't a problem, it's a blessing. My two don't have to listen to me sing! lol Twitch & Ophelia don't know they're deaf. They don't know they're different. They know that I love them & won't let anything happen to them, & that that can sucker me in to all kinds of stuff.... They have me wrapped around their cute little white paws!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I've got two deafies. Dolls...someday I'll have a housefull of old, deaf, rescue cats.
I have found one major drawback to deaf cats...the "deaf cat voice"...a.k.a. screaming! lol

Being deaf isn't a problem, it's a blessing. My two don't have to listen to me sing! lol Twitch & Ophelia don't know they're deaf. They don't know they're different. They know that I love them & won't let anything happen to them, & that that can sucker me in to all kinds of stuff.... They have me wrapped around their cute little white paws!
That is sooo sweet