Does anyone know anything about Chartreux's?

goblin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I rescue strays, and I think I rescued a Chartreux.

He is a big grey cat.

And he fits the breed to a tee, except his eyes are more gold/green.

I combed out his winter coat. I heard you are not suppose to do that, but this is Arizona.

I combed out enough fur to make a coat.

He is my FIV cat and he is the gentlest cat in the world.

The kittens love him.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More then likely he's just a look a like - not a purebred. Chars are pretty rare to start and the likelyhood of one getting out and running the streets is low.

Many times people assume a blue cat is purebred and call it Russian blues, British blues, or Chartruex, when in fact its just a mixed breed. All 3 breeds are very distinct in their own type.

Chars are described as a "barrel on toothpicks" as their body is heavy but they have more fine boned legs. Their eye color should be bright gold - no hint of green.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goblin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well what is with the coat?

He has a great coat.

He didn't at first, when I rescued him, but I came back.

He looks just like the pic, in the Wikipedia article.

I was just curious. This has the Best personality.

Very responsible and very gentle with my rescue kittens, they just know they can trust him.

He is very eerie!

It is like he knows.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure about the coat standard (know the general standard). But I imagine that its similar to british sh's with a thicker coat. I'd have to look up the official standard.

Many cats that are of American or British sh ancestory have a thicker type of coat compared to those of an oriental or siamese coat which is a lot finer and slicker.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you say he has FIV? And he get to be in contact with the rescue kittens? Have you talked to a vet about this? I'm pretty sure that is not a good idea...

He sounds beautiful.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Godiva, FIV is very hard to transmit, and normally requires a very deep bite, which I doubt this cat would be doign with fosters - and he certainly wont be mating with them (some people say a method, others disagree)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goblin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Not sure about the coat standard (know the general standard). But I imagine that its similar to british sh's with a thicker coat. I'd have to look up the official standard.

Many cats that are of American or British sh ancestory have a thicker type of coat compared to those of an oriental or siamese coat which is a lot finer and slicker.
That could be! He is just such a reponsible cat!

I will put down tuna fish for special occasions, like Thanksgiving or Christmas.

He will wait, until the other cats have eaten.

And the kittens just love him.