New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yikes! Annie Rose

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Ok I need advice. Annie Rose is about 3 weeks pregnant now. She's gained about 1 lb (she was very underweight) and in 6 days she went threw 3.5 lbs of food on her own. Is that normal? She eats all the time! She is currently eating my kitten food. But she's eating so much of it I really need to get her something that is good quality but cheaper. The stuff she ate the last week was Purina Indoor formula that my parents gave me. Yesterday and today she's been eating Blackwoof Kitten food. Which is what I feed Kitten and Bagheera. But what is some of th better foods that I can buy bigger bags of at the pet store. The food I feed my cats has to be shipped to me. So what's a good quality kitten food? Also when will she start showing more. Right now she's just slightly bigger. Her nipples have gotten bigger.
post #2 of 13
Since kitten food is higher calorie, you should NOT be feeding her kitten food this early in pregnancy. She would gain too much weight too fast and may have complications in delivery.

I usually do not start giving the queen kitten food till about 1-2 weeks BEFORE delivery and from that point on when nursing.

Switch her back to the normal adult food and hold off giving her kitten food till she's almost due to deliver.
post #3 of 13
also if she's eating that much could she have worm's ? i know i say this alot but most of the time it is that
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX View Post
also if she's eating that much could she have worm's ? i know i say this alot but most of the time it is that
Pregnancy causes a gain in appetite in animals, just like in people. She's eating for between 1 and 10 growing kittens, as well as herself.
post #5 of 13
Lilly only started eating load's when she was about 7 week's pregnant , i know all mum's are different butthat's when i saw the change in her food ( meaning the first litter she had ) don't know about the 2nd as i only got her back when she was 6 week's gone
post #6 of 13
I fed Sneakers kitten food from three weeks on... if she was underweight to begin with, it might not be a bad idea. She gained a little weight (little fat pads under her legs) but she lost that quickly since she was nursing six kittens.
You could call your vet to get a recommendation, I know that they usually don't want them eating kitten food until a few weeks before delivery.
post #7 of 13
Well my Foster Kitty,When she was pregnant, She was eating ALOT too .. Lol She is now Slowed down quite a bit.. *she had babies last weekend* But she can finish a bowl full off food in a day! haha . She loves the canned food
post #8 of 13
As far as cheaper food - Purina One and Maxximum Nutrition are both decent foods, inexpensive, and you can get them at WalMart.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Since kitten food is higher calorie, you should NOT be feeding her kitten food this early in pregnancy. She would gain too much weight too fast and may have complications in delivery.

I usually do not start giving the queen kitten food till about 1-2 weeks BEFORE delivery and from that point on when nursing.

Switch her back to the normal adult food and hold off giving her kitten food till she's almost due to deliver.
I hadnt been feeding Annie kitten food up until she ran out of her other food. I tried giving her Lily's (adult) food but she kept snatching Kitten and Bagheera's food and leaving her food alone. So I just started giving her the kitten food so I could watch how much she ate.
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX View Post
also if she's eating that much could she have worm's ? i know i say this alot but most of the time it is that
Annie doesnt have worms. She gets a fecal done every time she goes to the vet and doesnt have the usual round swollen wormy tummy either.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva View Post
I fed Sneakers kitten food from three weeks on... if she was underweight to begin with, it might not be a bad idea. She gained a little weight (little fat pads under her legs) but she lost that quickly since she was nursing six kittens.
You could call your vet to get a recommendation, I know that they usually don't want them eating kitten food until a few weeks before delivery.
Thanks. Annie isnt getting fat at all. Here's a pic of her a couple months before I got her. I went over to visit my parents. When I got her she was even skinnier.



She was literally skin and bones when I got her. I dont know what happened to her but she was pretty sickly looking. Here's a couple of pics taken 4 days ago.





post #12 of 13
Aw! She's so pretty, and she doesn't look obese to me at all. I don't think it would hurt too badly to keep feeding her kitten food, just watch her weight, make sure you can still feel her ribs, and make sure the fat pads under her legs don't get too big. I love her little dark nose!
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva View Post
Aw! She's so pretty, and she doesn't look obese to me at all. I don't think it would hurt too badly to keep feeding her kitten food, just watch her weight, make sure you can still feel her ribs, and make sure the fat pads under her legs don't get too big. I love her little dark nose!
Thanks! I'm watching her wight very closely. So far she's gained 1 lb 7 oz. And no far so far. She's looking like a normal cat. I decided on feeding her Nature's Best Kitten Food with Real Ocean Fish. My vet said that's a good failry cheaper food. Much cheaper then what I feed the rest of them! Though I think I might start switching her over to Royal Canin. I just think it's a better quality food and not that expensive. I also bought her some Blue Spa select canned food. She loves it. None of my other brats will eat canned. They will steal and eat cheetos but wont eat canned.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care