Starve Cat for 24 hours to stop milk production?

vanderlone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I heard I need to withhold food and water from momma cat when we try and wean the kittens in order to stop her milk production. Is this true and it feels cruel...any other suggestions?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanderlone

I heard I need to withhold food and water from momma cat when we try and wean the kittens in order to stop her milk production. Is this true and it feels cruel...any other suggestions?
I have never heard this before...I would think that once her kittens stop nursing..the milk would dry up naturally.

Katie

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard this before either. With the risks involved in fasting a cat, I would definitely not try this one. All of our foster cats dry up after about a week of no kittens. Without the stimulation of the kittens no more milk will be produced. Please don't starve your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanderlone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your feedback. It was our vet who told us to do this and it just feels unusually cruel and I wanted a second oppinion. I am so glad you told me otherwise. My momma instinct told me this can't be the only way!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After the kittens are introduced to solid foods the momma cat will gradually wean them herself by pushing them away when she feels it is the right time. You do not usually need to do anything, just keep a watch that she does not get sore nipples from little teeth! Sometimes kittens will continue to suckle longer than usual for comfort, but that is pretty normal too and I would not stop it unless it causes a problem.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of reducing a cats intake by half, but not starving for 24 hours, and mums are normally quite thin by that time, so i wouldn't starve, but might reduce their food.