How many cats can my apartment handle?

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a nice sized 2 bedroom apartment and 2 cats. I'm just itching to add another cat baby to our bunch. But my boyfriend thinks we are out of room.

Any apartment renters here? How many cats will your apartment hold?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KaraBear

I have a nice sized 2 bedroom apartment and 2 cats. I'm just itching to add another cat baby to our bunch. But my boyfriend thinks we are out of room.

Any apartment renters here? How many cats will your apartment hold?
750 square feet, two cats, and a husband. I need a bigger place before the third cat adopts us.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in a 14X70 single wide trailer with 10 cats, 2 dogs and a rat. I like to be cozy
the cats have plenty of room to play. I just need room for more litterboxes

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in a 2 bdrm apt. I think we could handle another cat, however, my boys are unsociable towards other cats and I wouldn't get one until we move somewhere bigger.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Katiemae wins for most cats per square footage!

We have a one bedroom apartment and two cats. Our friend who previously lived in our apartment lived there with three cats (at one point 10 cats: her 3 boys, and a mama cat and 6 kittens she was fostering, but they were largely confined to the bedroom and not terribly mobile). I think our apartment could support another cat; my boyfriend disagrees, so until I can get him to budge, I'm stuck with two.

Bear in mind that cats view territory as being both horizontal and vertical. If you have places for them to climb, that increases the amount of space they can claim as their own territory. Two (or more) cats can be quite happy in what seems like a small space, so long as there are multiple levels for them to explore.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in a large 2-bedroom apartment with four cats and we have plenty of space.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 bedroom townhouse (apartment sized).
6 cats (all added at various times) and a very large dog.
Everyone has their own 'space' and there are no power struggles or annimosity.

I think you'll be fine with one more cat

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a 2 bedroom duplex, but the down stairs is strictly basement, and I wouldn't allow LGirl down there.... it's not huge, but it's a decent size. I would definately say litter box room is the biggest concern. There is no real place to put it, I have LGirls in the back bedroom (Jazzy's room) in the closet, we just leave the door partially open for her. But I am 99.9% getting another baby tonight....maybe tomorrow. We'll see. And yes, vertical space is great. LGirls new favorite spot is the top of my entertainment center, it's taller than me, we have a big screen tv, and sometimes she will jump straight to the top of that, and then peer down over the front to watch the tube upside down!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We rent - a 1 bedroom apartment - good sized. We have 2 cats, and there is plenty of room for them, as long as they don't get any bigger!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me personally if I had a two bedroom apartment 2 maybe 3 cats would be my limit mostly because I have a dog and she likes to get in the litter boxes. And because its not really cats that take up the space its their litter.
But I think if I didn't have a dog 3-4 cats would be my limit

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

I think Katiemae wins for most cats per square footage!
Amen to that! for some reason they have to be right on top of me though

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a largish 2 bedroom and 4 cats, they get under our feet occasionally, but they probably would still do that if we have a 26 bedroom mansion

I just turned the spare room into a kitty room!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 1150 sqft, a 2 bed townhouse. We had 3 cats but are thinknig of keeping one of Meeka's babies. So that would be 4 cats. Originally Chris didn't not want to go above 3 in this space but it works out fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will use you all as an example to my boyfriend. There are 2 babes torties at the SPCA right now that I am eying. One of our cats is a tortie and I would love for her to have a little sister. We have never had a little kitten before. Both of our cats were adopted when they were young but almost fully grown. I think it would be so neat to see a kitty grow.

Here are the two cats I plan to go visit. Hopefully I will not fall in love with both of them.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6924237
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6924168

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a small apartment and five cats. It is only doable because the cats were together as rescued kittens, and they get well together.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 bedroom and 2 cats. I think it is all I could deal with in this space, partially because of Duke's diatary needs, they nhave to be fed in seperate rooms. If I had more cats I would run out of rooms.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moving my crew from a 2 story, 4 bedroom (that needs major renovating) into our double-wide mobile (the rental that really got thrashed) was a challenge, but I have thought "vertical" and have provided large boxes and "cat-play-cubes" for them to have vertical space as well as horizontal, and that has eased alot of the tensions.